Thread: Canned spinach page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Canned spinach

Primal Fuel
    Is canned spinach as healthful and nutritious as fresh or, at least, frozen spinach? Circumstances, at the moment, make using it easier.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    It seemed to work out OK for Popeye!

If they don't add anything weird to it, it is probably fine. I am guessing it is just cooked spinach in a can, maybe with water or salt added. It might not taste great, but I don't see how it would be a problem. I prefer frozen for cheap, convenient spinach to cook with, but thats just a matter of personal preference. Cooking it with a little bit of apple cider vinegar can make it taste better as well.

Thanks

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Is canned spinach as healthful and nutritious as fresh or, at least, frozen spinach? Circumstances, at the moment, make using it easier.
    TBH, I'd still go for fresh. It lasts days in the fridge and even in backward England we can buy ready washed in a supermarket.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    TBH, I'd still go for fresh. It lasts days in the fridge and even in backward England we can buy ready washed in a supermarket.
    I agree completely and keep a bag in the work fridge all the time. Great chopped up in scrambled eggs. The canned is just for "in a hurry" situations when I don't have time to cook it properly. If I'm going to lose a lot of nutrients, I'll find time for the fresh.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I actually posted about this over the weekend! I don't know why, but everytime I eat canned spinach it tears my stomach apart. Doesn't matter what brand it is, the ingredients are always just salt and water, and yet, without fail, the next day I'm on the toilet. Mores the pity, cos' I love it!

I have a sensitive stomach but it's still a strange one.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey, I actually posted about this over the weekend! I don't know why, but everytime I eat canned spinach it tears my stomach apart. Doesn't matter what brand it is, the ingredients are always just salt and water, and yet, without fail, the next day I'm on the toilet. Mores the pity, cos' I love it!

I have a sensitive stomach but it's still a strange one.
    It is strange but I understand. I don't get stomach pains but I use spinach, any kind, to "loosen me up" when things aren't "moving" too well. It does seem like canned has the strongest effect.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I buy frozen spinach, given that fresh costs about 4 times as much. We eat a lot of spinach.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Fresh before frozen; frozen before canned. And actually, depending on where you live and how far the fresh has traveled to get on your shelves, sometimes frozen is the better option because they practically freeze it as they harvest it. Some of the nutrients are going to leach out into the water in the can. Maybe put that into a drink or soup?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    It is strange but I understand. I don't get stomach pains but I use spinach, any kind, to "loosen me up" when things aren't "moving" too well. It does seem like canned has the strongest effect.
    That's actually a good point - spinach normally effects my digestion favourably. You know, it must be the fibre content. Spinach reduces down a lot once it's cooked, and the canned spinach is quite dense - who knows how much spinach is actually in there? It could be too much of a fibre bang. I do eat a tin at a time...!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat