Thread: Primal Diet and Boxing? page

Mafamaticks is offline Junior Member

Primal Diet and Boxing?

Primal Fuel
    I've been primal for about less than a year now so I'm fairly new. My workouts consists of heavy lifting 2-3 times a week with body weight, a lot walking, and sprinting once a week.

I decided I want to box. I took my first class last Saturday (still sore). The class consisted of a lot of cardio (warm up jog, squat jumps, running in place, punches, stances, etc).

So far I'm thinking I'm going to do the class once a week since I don't want to strain myself.

The question is what should I be doing to help my body handle this class?

I know it's a broad question, but I'm new so bear with me.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure how you're currently eating, but you probably just want to eat more.

there was a friday success story a while back about a MMA fighter who is primal. it's worth it to do a search through those stories and find out what he did for his diet and training. he's a professional, of course, so you'll want to adapt it to your own life.

Thanks.

My day is usually eggs & bacon in the morning, almonds for snacking, chicken & mixed veggies for dinner. Sometimes I'll skip breakfast or lunch. I don't do a whole lot of carbs.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafamaticks View Post
    I don't do a whole lot of carbs.
    any reason why?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

At the time my lifestyle didn't require me to eat a whole lot of carbs. I walked a lot, did body weight exercises 2-3 times a week, and sprinted once a week. Besides the walking, I'd spend at the most 20 minutes a day on my workouts. So most of my carbs came from veggies. I'm still in weight loss mode so I want to limit my carbs. It's been working for me since I started.

Since my lifestyle is going to be a little more active I figure I need to increase my carb intake.

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    I would add a starch, like sweet potatoes, on your training days. Also, having trainined in kickboxing and muai thai I would recomend you go more than once a week. Boxing is really all muscle memory and its generally recomended to train at least 3 times a week. The soreness will pass with time just make sure your actually resting on your rest days. Also, heavy lifting I have always found - again, through personal expierence, cant speak for everyone - that heavy lifting makes martial arts more chalenging for me. I have a physical build that allows me to put on mass relatively quickly and it really reflects in my performance in boxing class.

GaryWatson is offline Junior Member
    At first nothing, let your body get used to the routine, train, when you get more comfortable train more. You will feel it so don't worry.

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Frank Mir is a Heavyweight UFC fighter that is paleo

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    I'm not sure how you're currently eating, but you probably just want to eat more.

there was a friday success story a while back about a MMA fighter who is primal. it's worth it to do a search through those stories and find out what he did for his diet and training. he's a professional, of course, so you'll want to adapt it to your own life.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, and weight training

Would like to be in good shape by my 35th Birthday (07-07-2013)