Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 193

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    24

    Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement

    National Nutrition Month Fact vs. Fiction:
    o Myth – Eating carbohydrates causes weight gain.
    o Fact – Calories caught weight gain. Excess carbohydrates are no more fattening than calories from any source. Despite the claims of low-carb diet books, a high-carbohydrate diet does not promote fat storage by enhancing insulin resistance.
    o The takeaway – Strive to eat a diet including carbohydrates, fats, and proteins because all macronutrients play key roles in the optimal function of the human body. It simply isn’t healthy to eliminate one of these three fuel sources!
    I know that this is a straw man argument. It papers all "low carb" by attempting to shoot down "no carb".

    I need a polite and convincing response to this. Help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    There is none. That is completely true.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    There is none. That is completely true.
    +1
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Philmont Scott View Post
    I know that this is a straw man argument. It papers all "low carb" by attempting to shoot down "no carb".

    I need a polite and convincing response to this. Help?
    most of that is ok. it might get the insulin resistance thing a little bit wrong, but the big problem is that it oversimplifies things. really, the best response is to tell this person to read Good Calories, Bad Calories. a high carbohydrate diet in the form of sugar will certainly lead to fat storage. playing around with safe starches, however, should be fine depending on a person's activity level.

    my preferred response would be to ask that this person/organization report the same myth and facts about fat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    most of that is ok. it might get the insulin resistance thing a little bit wrong, but the big problem is that it oversimplifies things. really, the best response is to tell this person to read Good Calories, Bad Calories. a high carbohydrate diet in the form of sugar will certainly lead to fat storage. playing around with safe starches, however, should be fine depending on a person's activity level.
    Only say this if you want to get laughed at.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11
    Of course a high-carb diet can lead to fat gain. Scott, have a look at this video here: .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    Of course a high-carb diet can lead to fat gain. Scott, have a look at this video here: .
    Lol, more nutritional comedy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Lol, more nutritional comedy.
    Care to elaborate or will you continue to just post more useless statements with no explanation?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    Care to elaborate or will you continue to just post more useless statements with no explanation?
    don't engage the trolls. if you keep feeding them, they keep coming back.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    5,649
    Carbs does NOT cause weight gain per se, but overeating on them does! Carbs, especially processed carbs are made so tasty that they were easily leads to a drug-a-like effect on the abusers of them, cravings and mood changes etc.! So watch out, eating one or two cookies of “Chip Ahoi!” will very likely make you eat the whole bag if you even start eating, but that doesn’t mean that carbohydrates causes weight gain though! Some fatty food like (salted) nuts can work pretty much the same, you easily overeat them, eat until the bag is empty, and if the nuts are more processed there may be an reason for just that, the food companies want you to eat more of them to sell more!

    Some foods are designed to make sure that you overeat on them:

    cookie+dough+pie1.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •