Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement page 5

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    People are fat because they are lazy and eat too much of the wrong food, not from following health authories advice. The government still advocates whole foods and exercise, not mcdonalds and sitting on the couch.

Quit blaming others, take responsibility.
    Do you know me? Do you know whether I'm fat or thin? Have you ever seen me blame anyone but myself for my weight? If not, stfu.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I strongly disagree. If you look at the diet of most ripped bodybuilders, you'll see it's loaded with starch and sugar with minimal fat. From my experience, it's much easier to convert carbohydrate into lean mass than dietary fat. Good Calories, Bad Calories is purposefully misleading and not factual, it's a study in epidemiology, and the same stuff the paleosphere tears down every day with CW studies. It is no better. The only thing that should be taken from Good Calories, Bad Calories is that a diet full of whole foods and free of processed foods likely yields a better body composition and superior health. That's a no brainer.

A high carbohydrate diet high in sugar paired with heavy lifts and sprints is optimal for that lean, athletic build. A diet rich in fat will have you falling on your butt, floundering around with a lack of energy and probably a poor body composition due to an energy source that can't keep up with your activity level.

Sugar is not directly stored as fat. It needs to be converted through a relatively inefficient process. If you're sitting on your butt at work drinking soda, you'll probably get fat. But if you're sitting on your butt at work drinking a bulletproof coffee, the same thing is probably going to happen. Dietary fat is more efficiently stored as body fat than sugar. If you overconsume, you'll gain fat. Period.
    I appreciate the time and effort you put into explaining in detail your carb theories unlike alot of the people who have similar views that just try to troll everyone.

Anyway I think you a little bit and the others to a greater degree are missing the elephant in the room. Yes all the pro carb studies that get talked about and even "your own" experiences are probably very true. but what you guys and the scientific studies miss is that western society is FAT, every where you look people are overweight or obese. Why is this? (pssst... they all eat high carb diets). somewhere there is a missing link between all the science and what is actually happening.

The other thing you high carb guys on this site miss is marksdailyapple.com has many 100's of thousands of subscribers, why are they all here? What are they looking for? Are they all here for the scientific studies and N=1 opinions getting sprouted in the forums? (nope) Or are they here because they heard somewhere that this shit really works? (you betcha).

To what you said above, you referenced ripped body builders and even tho your probably right about them it doesn't mean much. bodybuilders (and maybe you, I don't know) micro manage the shit outta their diets far more than any normal person would. Yes they might be able to get 100% effectiveness from eating that way. But why should most of us do that when we can get 90% effectiveness outta stocking our fridge with a list of primal foods out of mark's book and eating it when we get hungry.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Omni is offline Senior Member
    People are fat because they are lazy and eat too much of the wrong food, not from following health authories advice. The government still advocates whole foods and exercise, not mcdonalds and sitting on the couch.

You forgot to say eat more CARBS!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Sugar is not directly stored as fat. It needs to be converted through a relatively inefficient process. If you're sitting on your butt at work drinking soda, you'll probably get fat. But if you're sitting on your butt at work drinking a bulletproof coffee, the same thing is probably going to happen. Dietary fat is more efficiently stored as body fat than sugar. If you overconsume, you'll gain fat. Period.
    So if you are talking about efficient metabolic pathways, then you would have to also take on board that the body can only store, maybe 1.5kg of Glucose as Glycogen and probably 15kg of Fat in adipose tissue.
    Therefore it would be natural to assume that these proportions would also have some significant bearing on our dietary mix if we are talking about most efficient storage and energy extraction.
    Even taking into account high exercise levels, it would be extremly rare to need more than 300g of carbs, and even if they are low, it takes over 24 hours to replenish glycogen fully and is most receptive in the first hour after depletion.

So yes, maybe for body building and specific athletic disciplines, high carb, timing and refeeding may be relevant, but this does not translate to success on the Savanah, I have never seen images of HG's that look like body builders, surely if this was so they would all look like "Conan the Barbarian".
    They usually come in fairly lean and reasonably strong, could they deadlift their own weight?, probably not, but that was not an adaptive advantage, they needed moderate strength, but speed and endurance was the key to survival.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    but what you guys and the scientific studies miss is that western society is FAT, every where you look people are overweight or obese. Why is this? (pssst... they all eat high carb diets). somewhere there is a missing link between all the science and what is actually happening.

What are they looking for? Are they all here for the scientific studies and N=1 opinions getting sprouted in the forums? (nope) Or are they here because they heard somewhere that this shit really works? (you betcha)
    You're deluded if you believe the western diet is only high in carbs. It's high in everything, including calories. It's also worth noting that the two most prominent sources of carbs in your average American's diet are wheat and sugar. Those, in addition to general overconsumption of processed food and fat, lead to obesity. You think you can become obese on a high carb diet consisting of fruit, potatoes, rice, cassava, corn, honey and maple syrup? That's a fuck of a lot harder than the SAD path. I used to eat 3000 calories at Outback before my entree even arrived. But I never overate; it was sugar/insulin/society/Dr. Oz's fault.

As for n=1, why do you only care about positive anecdotes? You don't appreciate the cognitive dissonance that stems from knowing not everyone succeeds on a low carb diet? If this shit really worked for everyone, Zach and Derpamix wouldn't even be here. They come from a website almost entirely dedicated to fixing struggling and frustrated low carb dieters.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    So yes, maybe for body building and specific athletic disciplines, high carb, timing and refeeding may be relevant, but this does not translate to success on the Savanah, I have never seen images of HG's that look like body builders, surely if this was so they would all look like "Conan the Barbarian".
    They usually come in fairly lean and reasonably strong, could they deadlift their own weight?, probably not, but that was not an adaptive advantage, they needed moderate strength, but speed and endurance was the key to survival.

Sources of protein include birds, rodents, snakes, bugs. Staple starch is sago. Fairly impressive physique considering the food and environment. Evolutionary speculation is the worst justification for a low carb diet.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 03-13-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: picture was friggin' enormous

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post

Sources of protein include birds, rodents, snakes, bugs. Staple starch is sago. Fairly impressive physique considering the food and environment. Evolutionary speculation is the worst justification for a low carb diet.
    Great physique and kind of what I'd expect, but certainly no body builders there, all their muscles are practical.
    They represent a HG group on the higher carb end, others are on high fat, most though run middle ground.

For the record I'm not a low carber I think balanced mid ground allows the greatest margin for error whilst still maintaining good health.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member

It's funny how many reject that. When it is actually the case for 95% + of people. People really believe that Americans or Australians are on a low fat diet? lol. I guess the millions and millions of people served at Mcdonalds each and every single day aren't actually eating their food. Not to mention that countless other millions served at fast food chains, restaurants and the truckloads of high fat foods that get sold in supermarkets and cafe's everyday. People always talk about how everything has added sugar, well it's the same for oil, especially at restaurants.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 03-13-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    If this shit really worked for everyone, Zach and Derpamix wouldn't even be here. They come from a website almost entirely dedicated to fixing struggling and frustrated low carb dieters.
    They should worry about fixing themselves and stop pushing their agenda. It gets very old. Not to mention their incessant judgements calling people "lazy" if they do not have time to fix breakfast or "weak" if they succumb to an addiction, etc, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 03-14-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    The western diet would be something like high-wrong fats, high-refined carbs, high/moderate-protein, low vitamins/minerals accompanied by little to no exercise.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-14-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast