Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The issue is not with the message, it is with the logic. This is the same sort of logic you see all the time on health topics.

1. X is a hypothesis involving diet and health.
    2. X is not a complete explanation of [insert complex biological process here].
    3. Therefore [what I propose is true].

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Dear Fitness Staff,

Thank you for your recent Fact or Fiction note - it closely mirrors the same advice that the government has been giving for over 30 years. Since we have become a nation of obese TypeII diabetics by listening to that, please forgive me if I ignore your advice.

Sincerely,

P.S. You might want to look up the definitions of "fact" and "opinion," so that you might learn the difference.

(Okay, the PS is a bit snotty.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Dear Fitness Staff,

Thank you for your recent Fact or Fiction note - it closely mirrors the same advice that the government has been giving for over 30 years. Since we have become a nation of obese TypeII diabetics by listening to that, please forgive me if I ignore your advice.

Sincerely,

P.S. You might want to look up the definitions of "fact" and "opinion," so that you might learn the difference.

(Okay, the PS is a bit snotty.)
    People are fat because they are lazy and eat too much of the wrong food, not from following health authories advice. The government still advocates whole foods and exercise, not mcdonalds and sitting on the couch.

Quit blaming others, take responsibility.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You actually don't have to be a low carb proponent to reject the gluttony and sloth hypothesis.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Excess carbs aren't more fattening than excess fat. You're just less likely to accidentally eat excess fat because you will feel satisfied earlier and stop.

'Sugar storage space'. What is that? I prefer the term 'metabolic syndrome'.

I think that 'Omega 3' has been promoted as being healthy for a long time. I still think that CW is very opposed to saturated fats, but I *think* that there's a slow momentum change there. It's really hard to tell though, since I have rose tinted 'confirmation bias' sunglasses on.
    Hi MagicMerl, I agree. My explanation is both wrong and stupid. Both here and on another thread yesterday I attempted a short, simple explanation of one of the primary processes and am embarassed by the results. Short and simple are not that easy.

As you know, it's not really the excess carbs that fail to signal 'stop eating', it's the added chemicals like HFCS that do it. I suppose I'll keep trying for a satisfactory 'simple' explanation for a while. Maybe it can't be done.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    As you know, it's not really the excess carbs that fail to signal 'stop eating', it's the added chemicals like HFCS that do it. I suppose I'll keep trying for a satisfactory 'simple' explanation for a while. Maybe it can't be done.
    Add salt, spices, HFCS, sugar, or other "chemicals" and overeating becomes more easy! Few people will overeat on rice alone, but add sugar, cinneamon, honey and low fat milk and some people may overeat on that as well...

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    If you are willing to come along, let's conduct a little thought experiment.

Let's take a fasting subject and clamp his ( no gender insensitivity intended ) insulin levels at 500 pmol/l. This level is about 5x the average baseline concentration and is typical of what we might observe following a carbohydrate containing meal as metabolism attempts to maintain normoglycemia. Of course, in our experiment, our subject is receiving an exogenous infusion of insulin aimed at keeping his plasma concentration at this level, and further, there is no food being ingested.

If we were to do this, we can be certain of one thing: we would absolutely crush plasma levels of non-esterified fatty acids ( NEFA ). Now, NEFA only enter the plasma from adipose tissue bound to albumin, whereas dietary fats circulate as triacylglycerides in chylomicrons. Since we're not eating, we can ignore the dietary triglycerides, so what we are doing is locking energy inside of adipose tissue.

Motorcycle fuel gauges are notoriously unreliable, so most motorcycles aren't equipped with them. Instead what is done is that a motorcycle's fuel tank is divided into two sections, a large, primary fuel tank, and a much smaller reserve. Motorcycles also come equipped with a three position valve, allowing you to select the fuel delivery source as either being off, reserve, or the main tank. When your engine starts to sputter for lack of fuel, you switch to reserve and start looking for a gas station. Once refueled, you switch back to primary, at least, that's the theory. There are more times than I care to mention that I've found myself on the side of the road trying to troubleshoot an engine that refuses to start, only to realize that I had been running on reserve fuel instead of the primary, and a simple twist of the valve sets everything right again.

Our hapless victim ( a.k.a. test subject ) finds himself in a similar situation when we flip his metabolic fuel switch from his erstwhile principal fuel store ( adipose NEFA ) to reserve (glycogen). Under these admittedly contrived circumstances, rather than oxidizing fat for energy, he will become an obligate glycolytic machine. This in turn will stimulate glycogenolysis, gluconeogenesis, and with that, accelerated proteolysis.

Now, since this is only a thought experiment, we can do something that would be impossible in a real experiment: we can rewind time to just before our intervention and replace our insulin infusion with an inert saline drip. The truly interesting question at this point is what would we observe in comparing the body composition of the two experimental interventions?

Persist in this course for several days, say a week, and we would would find that the hyperinsulinemic subject would have a lower body mass, but higher absolute and relative body fat levels compared to his normoinsulinemic self. He would have a lower body mass because he had been forced to oxidize something other than fat, which basically means glucose, as well as protein to convert to glucose, and the energy yield from NEFA is roughly four times that of other substrates ( we are accounting for dry weight here ). This means that you need to oxidize a whole lot more of the non NEFA substrates, if energy requirements are held constant. Obviously, since the hyperinsulinemic subject is not oxidizing adipose tissue contents, he is left fatter but lighter when all is said and done.

Since our subject has not been eating, this divergent outcome cannot be blamed on any macronutrient he has ingested. It can, however, be explained entirely by the endocrinological context that we created, and most specifically by our chronic elevation of insulin.

To the extent that your diet starts to approximate our thought experiment, you should expect to come closer and closer to the posited outcomes. How would you do this? Frequent meals consisting of relatively high levels of carbohydrate. Note, that it is not the absolute CHO level that is relevant here, but rather the persistent insulin elevation. This implies that eating at the same absolute CHO intake, but taking all your carbs at one sitting is a better strategy, because you only elevate insulin in a transient rather than persistent fashion.

Most people do not make this distinction and instead you get the somewhat simplistic "carbohydrates drive insulin drives body fat" argument.

It's not the outright lies that get you, it's the partial truth that does the most damage.

-PK
    Last edited by pklopp; 03-12-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I suppose I'll keep trying for a satisfactory 'simple' explanation for a while. Maybe it can't be done.
    How about this? Eat quality unprocessed meat and vegetables.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    pklopp, very good. Thanks

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    How about this? Eat quality unprocessed meat and vegetables.
    That diet is the worst. Fruit and dairy for me please.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast