Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement page 2

boomingno is offline Member
    The original quote is pretty accurate, whether you like sugar or not.

irishfoxy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philmont Scott View Post
    I know that this is a straw man argument. It papers all "low carb" by attempting to shoot down "no carb".

I need a polite and convincing response to this. Help?
    I would say that absolutely you need a diet BALANCED in all three macro-nutrients. The current "SAD" diet is extremely weighted towards carbs - often 2/3 carbs and 1/3 everything else. That's not balanced at all. A "lower" carb diet is actually more balanced.
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

Timthetaco Guest
    The best rebuttal to that is the insulin hypothesis put forth in Good Calories, Bad Calories.

And the best rebuttal to the insulin hypothesis is all peer-reviewed metabolic research ever.

Sorry I couldn't help much. :/

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    To the OP: The myth/fact/takeaway sections are actually kinda true. Of course, what the % breakdown of calories from the different groups is up for debate. However, carbohydrates can lead to weight gain in two different ways (that do not magically circumvent calories):

a: Carbohydrates do not signal for satiety in the way that fat and protein do, so it is much more likely that you can/will overeat with insufficient fats and proteins in the diet

b: Many refined carbohydrate products are nutritionally sparse, in the sense that they provide 'empty calories' and very little of your micronutrient requirements (vitamins and minerals). And nutrient deficiencies will also trigger a 'need more' appetite response.

@Tim: Heh.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    National Nutrition Month Fact vs. Fiction:
    o Myth – Eating carbohydrates causes weight gain.
    o Fact – Calories cause weight gain. Excess carbohydrates are no more fattening than calories from any source. Despite the claims of low-carb diet books, a high-carbohydrate diet does not promote fat storage by enhancing insulin resistance.
    o The takeaway – Strive to eat a diet including carbohydrates, fats, and proteins because all macronutrients play key roles in the optimal function of the human body. It simply isn’t healthy to eliminate one of these three fuel sources!
    "1. Excess carbohydrates are no more fattening than calories from any source. 2. High-carbohydrate diet does not promote fat storage by enhancing insulin resistance. 3. Strive to eat a diet including carbohydrates, fats, and proteins"

1. It's the details that make the difference. Excess carbs are more fattening because carbs are converted directly to sugar and stored. However it's true that excess calories will ultimately cause weight gain no matter how long it takes or what the process. For example, excess protein will cause weight gain but it's slower and much healthier. Here the problem (between protein and carbs) is not so much the calories as the additives.

2. When sugar storage space runs out (so to speak) insulin-resistance occurs. They say it does not but offer no facts to back that up. It can also cause leptin resistance.

3. A balanced diet with fats - this is new. Now they're going to let us eat fats. Is this a 33/33/33% diet being proposed. I don't think so, but that would be a big improvement over no or very low fats.

4. It may be very healthy to eliminate carbs and live in ketosis. It's a good argument anyway.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-11-2013 at 10:02 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    1. It's the details that make the difference. Excess carbs are more fattening becuase carbs are converted directly to sugar and stored. However it's true that excess calories will ultimately cause weight gain no matter how long it takes or what the process.
    Excess carbs aren't more fattening than excess fat. You're just less likely to accidentally eat excess fat because you will feel satisfied earlier and stop.

2. When sugar storage space runs out (so to speak) insulin-resistance occurs. They say it does not but offer no facts to back that up. It can also cause leptin resistance.
    'Sugar storage space'. What is that? I prefer the term 'metabolic syndrome'.

3. A balanced diest with fats - this is new. Now they're going to let us eat fats. Is this a 33/33/33% diet being proposed. Idon't think so, but that would be a big improvement over no or very low fats.
    I think that 'Omega 3' has been promoted as being healthy for a long time. I still think that CW is very opposed to saturated fats, but I *think* that there's a slow momentum change there. It's really hard to tell though, since I have rose tinted 'confirmation bias' sunglasses on.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The best rebuttal imo is to not engage. Eat healthfully, follow the blueprint's other nine suggestions, look good and feel good, and may the naysayers be damned.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Philmont Scott is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The best rebuttal imo is to not engage. Eat healthfully, follow the blueprint's other nine suggestions, look good and feel good, and may the naysayers be damned.
    My concern is that this went out at my workplace from the fitness center staff. It is sad to me that the diet of so many here is so SAD, even when they are going out of their way to try to be healthy.

I know it isn't just about the carbs, but there are many people here who would benefit greatly from going low(er) carb.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Excess carbs aren't more fattening than excess fat. You're just less likely to accidentally eat excess fat because you will feel satisfied earlier and stop.
    i think this is a huge point that is being missed in this debate. a lot of people here are saying "when i eat carbs i gain weight" etc... a couple things are actuallyhappening here. 1-by eating more carbs they are probably retaining more water, not looking as lean overall, and seeing the scale creep up a few lbs. so they equate carbs as bad. 2-they are eating the same things they have been eating, but adding in more carbs. thus creating a caloric surplus. if you are increasing your carbs, then lower your fat to keep caloric intake the same. and finally 3-fat causes satiation more easily . its hard to sit down and eat spoonfulls of bacon fat. its easy to eat a few pounds of potatoes roasted in bacon fat and sprinkled with salt. 6 scrambled eggs (full) or an entire family sized box of cheezits (overate and hungry 20 minutes later)

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know it isn't just about the carbs, but there are many people here who would benefit greatly from going low(er) carb.
    I think instead of focusing on carbohydrates specifically, you could talk about being wheat or grain free, and that way they'll be lower carb by default. If you remove dense, dry flours from your diet, it's hard to eat a lot of carbohydrates by anyone's standards. Unless you suck down sugar like Derpamix, which most people don't.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast