Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement page 16

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    The most efficient response by the body is to digest that bite of carrot, burn off the glucose, then go back to Ketosis.
    Except it doesn't work that way, and instead responds by telling you when you need glucose via blood sugar.
    nihil

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    These are straw mans. The Inuit aged terribly, looked unhealthy, and lived in a harsh environment that had a very severe lack of sun.

I just look at what's needed for your body to sustain ketosis. When you enter ketosis, metabolism is slowed down, thyroid is suppressed, the body struggles to hold glycogen in the liver, which is where most of t3 is converted, which means there is an increased reliance on your pituitary. Your body is basically converting its own tissues to sustain ketosis.

If you don't believe this is stressful, then idk... Truly, the human body is adaptive, but living and living healthy aren't the same.
    Don't agree on your assessment of the Inuit, do you have an unbiased definitive reference for this?
    I think they did quite well considering their environment.

I am very interested in the thyroid thing, but I think you are wrong in applying it as a universal response, there are plenty of people in Ketosis with perfectly normal metabolism & thyroid function, your N=1 doesn't make N= everyone.

From what I have read recently it seems to be that some individuals may have impaired Gluconeogenesis function and when they go onto a very low carb diet low blood sugar becomes a problem and as their body can't keep up supply, the body down regulates glucose consumption by producing rT3 and FT3 levels go down, sometimes this is called hibernation response.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    These are straw mans.
    I'd point out the plural of "man," but that would be the work of a troll.

Seriously, challenging the carb-hate isn't trolling. Trolling is when you incite argument for the entertainment value of it. Which all of us do sometimes, to a certain extent. I hang out here because the quality of trolls is higher than other places.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    The most efficient response by the body is to digest that bite of carrot, burn off the glucose, then go back to Ketosis.
    That's wishful thinking. The body doesn't enter a state of ketosis that easily. Unless, you go back to avoiding carbohydrates, protein, and/or overall calories and go through your glycogen stores.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Except it doesn't work that way, and instead responds by telling you when you need glucose via blood sugar.
    I can go an entire day or two without my body ever calling out for sugar, or food for that matter, it's quite capable of producing all the glucose it needs and keeping my blood sugar within the required tolerances.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    That's wishful thinking. The body doesn't enter a state of ketosis that easily. Unless, you go back to avoiding carbohydrates, protein, and/or overall calories and go through your glycogen stores.
    Are you saying that after one bite of carrot, I will die because I can't get back into ketosis.

Are you saying that after one bite of carrot, I will die because I can't get back into ketosis.
    Straw man much? No. I did not say that. You can get back into ketosis... if you follow the strict protocol to get there! However, it's not as easily achieved as our default state of burning glucose preferentially.

Glucose (and fat burning) = nearly effortless by millions of food combinations
    Ketosis = several processes have to occur and a very fine balance of macronutrients and caloric restrictions have to be maintained to sustain it
    Last edited by j3nn; 03-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I can go an entire day or two without my body ever calling out for sugar, or food for that matter, it's quite capable of producing all the glucose it needs and keeping my blood sugar within the required tolerances.
    That's because you have glycogen stores and a BACKUP mechanism to produce glucose because the body and brain want it so badly. If it wasn't very important, we wouldn't have a secondary system in place to produce it. Evolution decided it was crucial.

Zach is offline Banned
    I just ate three bagals with egg, aged chedder, raspberry jam and butter. Fantastic!

You guys still arguing about carbs?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't agree on your assessment of the Inuit, do you have an unbiased definitive reference for this?
    I think they did quite well considering their environment.

I am very interested in the thyroid thing, but I think you are wrong in applying it as a universal response, there are plenty of people in Ketosis with perfectly normal metabolism & thyroid function, your N=1 doesn't make N= everyone.

From what I have read recently it seems to be that some individuals may have impaired Gluconeogenesis function and when they go onto a very low carb diet low blood sugar becomes a problem and as their body can't keep up supply, the body down regulates glucose consumption by producing rT3 and FT3 levels go down, sometimes this is called hibernation response.
    Just mentioning anything about them is an opinion, and thus bias, as we can't accurately assess how well or unwell they lived or felt.

Stress response promotes a metabolic slowdown to prevent your body from literally consuming itself because it assumes you're starving without adequate glucose as more than 5 molecules of ATP are needed to sustain gluconeogenesis alone. It sustains this by using cortisol full time to break down protein containing tissues to create glucose in the liver. It has to slow down your metabolism, and thus thyroid.

Obviously this is stressful on your body. Just morphing your stress hormones from adaptive to working around the clock causes degeneration on a wide scale. Not even factoring in the body releasing tryptophan rich tissues or liberating pufa into the blood stream.

The body can be really resilient. It says nothing about long term sustainability of ketosis.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 03-15-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    nihil

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast