Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement page 15

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    here's the scene

beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Let's see... SAD diet - I had metabolic syndrome and gout and arthritis and all the great things that comes with it. Including a bunch of pills to take to help me through it. Primal Blueprint - no pills, no metabolic syndrome, no gout? Hmmm, I think I'll keep on keeping on...

I think its hilarious how some pople on this site can conveniently overlook the experiment that the US government has conducted its people with the SAD diet.

Choco - go look up the "Bliss Point" and tell me that people aren't addicted to the food that is offered to them today...

You (and me for that matter) have a lot more willpower and belief in themselves to strike off on a different nutritioal course than the average American does. Don't slam others (including me) for charting a low-carb choice that follows Mark's guidelines.

I'm concerned that the average Joe who might be looking to change his diet for the first time will read this and decide not to change his diet - we have then defeated the purpose of Mark creating this site...

By the way - that's what I define as a troll... If you want to slam Mark's philospophy, go do it somewhere else.
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I knowwwwwwww. Good thing trolls eat carbs; someone has to take care of those insidious weight-gain parasites.
    It's a tough job...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    If you aren't in ketosis or you aren't eating within the carb curve, you are a troll according the the Primal disciples.
    well, this is a forum for Mark's Daily Apple, and Mark is the creator of the Primal Blueprint, including the carb curve, so there should be a certain expectation that people are going to defend it when something that has worked for them is challenged or they're called stupid or morons. granted, people shouldn't blindly defend it, and threads like this help people refine their own personal philosophies, but they're going to defend it.

personally, i think debates like this are great, though extreme at times. i'm still not a fan of excess sugar, but stuff like this turned off my carb-phobia a while ago. i don't consider rational discourse trolling; what i consider trolling is attacking, unhelpful criticism telling people they are wrong without a hint as to why. crap like that is born from negativity, and doesn't have a place on a forum where people are trying to live a happy life.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    Let's see... SAD diet - I had metabolic syndrome and gout and arthritis and all the great things that comes with it. Including a bunch of pills to take to help me through it. Primal Blueprint - no pills, no metabolic syndrome, no gout? Hmmm, I think I'll keep on keeping on...

I think its hilarious how some pople on this site can conveniently overlook the experiment that the US government has conducted its people with the SAD diet.
    Are you equating all carbs with SAD?

I don't think anyone here is advocating junk food. (well, except maybe Zach )
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    H
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    personally, i think debates like this are great, though extreme at times. i'm still not a fan of excess sugar, but stuff like this turned off my carb-phobia a while ago. i don't consider rational discourse trolling; what i consider trolling is attacking, unhelpful criticism telling people they are wrong without a hint as to why. crap like that is born from negativity, and doesn't have a place on a forum where people are trying to live a happy life.
    Agreed. Hence why it's silly when people misuse the term troll. Simply challenging someone's opinions or facts or disagreeing with someone does not make one a troll. Mark gets a lot of challenging questions and comments in his blog, it's all part of being an Internet public personality. Doesn't necessarily mean someone is trolling him for funsies.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I haven;t seen anything but cherry picking with the opposing argument either, there is no definitive evidence either way as far as I have seen, one camp cites the Inuit, the other the Kitavans, in my mind there is no doubt that we evolved to survive at times on a high fat diet ketosis and other times on a high carb diet, both are on the fringe of the ideal, but ideally our body should be capable of doing both without ill effect.
    These are straw mans. The Inuit aged terribly, looked unhealthy, and lived in a harsh environment that had a very severe lack of sun.

I just look at what's needed for your body to sustain ketosis. When you enter ketosis, metabolism is slowed down, thyroid is suppressed, the body struggles to hold glycogen in the liver, which is where most of t3 is converted, which means there is an increased reliance on your pituitary. Your body is basically converting its own tissues to sustain ketosis.

If you don't believe this is stressful, then idk... Truly, the human body is adaptive, but living and living healthy aren't the same.
    nihil

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    Don't you think this as more to do with converting to a whole foods diet rather than just the PB's carb guidelines? I think there are lots of people who have similar testimonies, but follow completely different dietary protocols. Vegan, raw, McDougall, Atkins, etc.

No one on this site is a bigger critic of the government than me, but I don't see it as an experiment. I see the SAD as the unintended consequences of greed, corruption, ignorance, and apathy.

I'm concerned that the average Joe who might be looking to change his diet for the first time will read this and decide not to change his diet - we have then defeated the purpose of Mark creating this site...
    That's a bit extreme. No one is saying the PB isn't good, I think some people are just challenging the wisdom of the carb curve. That's all.

By the way - that's what I define as a troll... If you want to slam Mark's philospophy, go do it somewhere else.
    Stop. You sound like a religious fanatic. Disagreeing with one or a couple aspects of a protocol doesn't mean you are being offensive to its author. I'm a huge fn of Ray Peat's work, but I certainly don't agree with every word he puts forward.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Explain why it's illogical and why we abandon ketosis so easily but struggle to initiate it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Sugar is not directly stored as fat. It needs to be converted through a relatively inefficient process.
    The most efficient response by the body is to digest that bite of carrot, burn off the glucose, then go back to Ketosis.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Thanks j3nn. I just don't pay attention to posts like his anymore. Funny thing is, he's exactly like those people he's criticizing who follow the SAD diet. People who are incapable of thinking for themselves, who allow another person's words to dictate their every action instead of thinking for themselves and questioning everything. If you can't do this, you'll never know true health.

"If we could start with an accurate understanding of what life is, and what we are doing here, science could be built up deductively as well as by the accumulation of evidence. But the fact that we have grown up amid false and unworkable models of what life is, means that we have to lean heavily on evidence, building up new models inductively, imaginatively, and scientifically." - Ray Peat
    nihil

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast