Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement page 12

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I know you do the Ray Peat protocol. Believe me, I am not anti-sugar like most of the people around here. I think it's harmless in and of itself. However, it's still empty calories when compared to real food. I will not - ever - spoon sugar into my milk. It is senseless as you're just adding huge amounts of empty calories to your diet. I understand adding sugar may help aid in the digestion of lactose, but if you're eating appropriate fruit and starch and limiting grain intake and other types of insoluble fiber that destroys your gut health, you shouldn't be lactose intolerant. If you want to pair your milk with sugar, eat some fruit with it. A glass of milk with a banana, orange, apple, etc makes much more sense than adding refined sugar to something that's already somewhat sugary.

Honey I can't argue. As long as it's real honey, it's delicious. Go to Trader Joe's and buy their unfiltered creamed honey. It's $4.49/lb, which is a steal. Oh dear God. It's incredible.
    I use sugar, and or honey, in my milk to quickly get nutrition into my blood stream after stressful activities(think of chocolate milk after a workout). I use sugar as a supplement, it's good for what it's meant for. It doesn't have a very high nutrition content, for sure. Total calories from white sugar probably don't top 100 per day for me, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things. Rest of my base is covered by nutrient dense fruit, potatoes, oysters, liver once a week, etc;

Yup! That's the same one I buy.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If fat is such an superior fuel for the body, maybe the hospitals should start to give patients a fat solution instead of the usual glucose solution?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If fat is such an superior fuel for the body, maybe the hospitals should start to give patients a fat solution instead of the usual glucose solution?
    Oh snap!

Also, maple syrup > sugar/honey.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Also, maple syrup > sugar/honey.
    Honey is considerably more nutritious than maple syrup, assuming it's unfiltered/unpasteurized.

Taste is questionable - maple syrup is better in certain applications, but IMO honey is superior by itself and is more versatile. Honey and butter together...OH LAWD!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    "Ok I urge you to look at carb addiction, think on it, look for it. I know you will instantly draw back when you read that but I hope you look at it. See this is what your missing. We atrophy what we don't use. If our diets are full of carbs, over time our glucose generating systems become atrophied and weak (just like our muscles do)."

You are making this up. ...

I must be missing what he's making up... sure its a crude analogy, but not untrue. Sure atrophied and weak is not exactly what we are talking. It's more like downregulated in metabolic terms.

Either way you follow telling someone they are making something up with your elaborate opinions which are no more valid than the opinion of someone who can state why fat is a superior source for energy and health.

It's your N=1 which is fine, but it doesn't make it law.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I must be missing what he's making up... sure its a crude analogy, but not untrue. Sure atrophied and weak is not exactly what we are talking. It's more like downregulated in metabolic terms.
    I see no evidence of a "carb addiction." I see plenty of evidence of a processed food addiction. Carbs are not addictive. Being addicted to pizza, cake and cookies is not a "carb addiction." There is just as much fat as there is sugar and starch in those ingredients. People around here consider icing on a cake a carb. It's made out of just as much butter as sugar! There is more fat in a cookie than there are carbs!

Individual, highly processed foods are addictive, but to call America addicted to carbs is blindingly ignorant and is clearly agenda-based, not fact-based. Again, take a spoon to a bag of sugar or white flour and see how far you get. I'm guessing not very far.

This is a community of people that in one breath condemns the demonization of fat, then in the next breath demonizes carbs. It is a community of people that condemns processed food and would never consume a 200 calorie latte with 50g of sugar, then blends half a stick of butter in their coffee for a 400 calorie coffee. It is the greatest hypocrisy. Paleo is not about fat, carbs and protein. It is about embracing whole foods and eliminating processed foods. No one is addicted to potatoes, bananas and apples. They are real, healthy, nutritious foods and should not be demonized because they are "a carb."
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Zach is offline Banned
    Honey is considerably more nutritious than maple syrup, assuming it's unfiltered/unpasteurized.

Taste is questionable - maple syrup is better in certain applications, but IMO honey is superior by itself and is more versatile. Honey and butter together...OH LAWD!
    Just going by nutritiondata, maple syrup is massively more mineral dense. Are you talking in terms of processing or is there something else in honey?

I was just talking in terms of taste anyway. "I love maple syrup. I love maple syrup on pancakes. I love it on pizza. I like to take maple syrup and put a little bit in my hair when I’ve had a rough week."

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I started seeing "paleo" products on the store shelves.
    Really? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Just going by nutritiondata, maple syrup is massively more mineral dense. Are you talking in terms of processing or is there something else in honey?

I was just talking in terms of taste anyway. "I love maple syrup. I love maple syrup on pancakes. I love it on pizza. I like to take maple syrup and put a little bit in my hair when I’ve had a rough week."
    Are you sure you're not thinking of molasses? Molasses is hugely nutritious. In terms of honey vs maple syrup it's hard to gauge. Going by this study:

http://missclasses.com/mp3s/Prize%20...20molasses.pdf

Per 100g, 100% maple syrup had an antioxidant capacity of 0.412.

Per 100g of honey, the antioxidant capacity was 0.156, but if you read, it wasn't real honey used. It was the clear, pasteurized crap. Raw honey is going to be a lot higher. I now it contains more bioactive compounds than maple syrup...maple syrup contains 54 while real honey contains over 100.

Blackstrap molasses cleans up at a whopping 4.894mmol/100g, boasting more than an order of magnitude over maple syrup.

I think the takeaway from this is maple syrup, honey and molasses, assuming you use the real stuff, isn't unhealthy. Use the one you like best, and don't displace real food for it. Barley malt syrup and brown rice syrup had nice showings as well! Barley malt syrup contains a huge 1.565 mmol/100g antioxidant capacity. I'm not sure if it is gluten-free though as barley contains gluten.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    No, i use blackstrap as well. My coop has organic unsulfered even! If you check out nutritiondata.com and compare maple syrup to honey, the mineral content is about 3:1 in maple syrups favor, maybe a bit more. I agree that raw honey probably has some other properties in it that maple syrup doesnt just because on the processing. Blackstrap is awesome too, especially as a chocolate milk substitute! I do like all three, maple syrup for me is it though, i could drink it straight up.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast