Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement page 11

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Because you as I do, both visit this board, we have probably done a low carb stint for long enough for our bodies to regain the ability to produce its own glucose. this basicaly renders carbs inert to us as a fat gaining risk. Because we can naturally go for 5 hours (any number) or more with out eating and our bodies can keep up the glucose to our hungry brain, thus it doesn't have a hissy fit every 2 hours causing us to over eat. Therefore we can stand on our soapboxes and sprout on the forums how much carbs we can eat without Ill effects to any unsuspecting SAD eater who happens to pass by.
    OMG. I can see that!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    This is quite easily the most moronic comment I've ever seen written on this forum. Are you seriously trying to claim that some type of burger, french fries and soda IS NOT a typical fast food meal?
    Why are you asking me a question? You really expect me to try to engage in some sort of dialogue with someone who has called me a moron?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Ok I urge you to look at carb addiction, think on it, look for it. I know you will instantly draw back when you read that but I hope you look at it. See this is what your missing. We atrophy what we don't use. If our diets are full of carbs, over time our glucose generating systems become atrophied and weak (just like our muscles do).

So a person with atrophied glucose generating systems (from over eating carbs) tries a CICO diet, he eats a nice, whole food, nutritious breakfast thinking this will get him through to lunch or after, he's going great, he's going to hit his calorie targets for the day until.... BEEEP BEEEEP BEEEP two hours later his brain is screaming for carbs (glucose), because his body struggles to make it, so he satisfies the urge (I mean it is a sub conscious survival response) an boom his CICO diet is busted.

See this was my big "Ah ha" moment after reading mark's book and blog's by Peter Attia and Jack Kruze. I said to myself;

"I'm addicted to carbs here"

I then endeavored to kick the carb habit while slowly bringing my glucose generating systems online. It was fairly easy and only took 2 to 3 weeks. Now I just know I've got a stable amount of glucose running in my blood at nearly all times and if I'm hungry its because my other parts of my body need energy or nutrients, so I eat. This is the reason why I've lost about 65 -75 pounds of fat in a little over 3 months, with out counting the calories or macro's in any meal in that time.
    There's one thing I make sure tho and that is: I don't atrophy my glucose generating systems else I'll end up joining the 40% of western civilisation in being fat again.
    This is the dumbest post i have read in long time.

By the way, if you need to eat carbs every few hours to keep glucose up, sounds like your pre diabetic or something. My diet is 60-70% sugar and i go 15 hours between my last and first meals, 4-5 hours between daily meals. No snacks, no crashes, no jitters, just consistent great energy.

But i will be sure to keep an eye out for signs that my glucose generating system is atrophying. :hugeeyeroll:

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Wanna throw down? I'll drop the gloves right now
    The day I take a spoon to a bag of sugar will be the day they get a blizzard in Hell. That's disgusting. I can do some honey, but that's far from empty sugar and has real flavor. Now peanut butter...I'll throw down. I could eat that til I puke.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    a bread lover would

you know.. not naming any names or anything, but it starts with M and ends with E
    Bread is shockingly high in sodium. It is added to remove the bitterness of the white flour. And bread is rarely ever eaten alone. It typically has some type of butter or sugary spread on it - butter, nut butters, jams, jellies. And pretty much every manufactured bread has vegetable oil added. The only thing I've ever seen as simply flour and water are quality corn tortillas, which are pretty gross alone. And nixtamalized corn is essentially harmless anyway.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Ok I urge you to look at carb addiction, think on it, look for it. I know you will instantly draw back when you read that but I hope you look at it. See this is what your missing. We atrophy what we don't use. If our diets are full of carbs, over time our glucose generating systems become atrophied and weak (just like our muscles do).
    You are making this up. There is no scientific basis to any of this. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're severely brainwashed. Our diet is full of additional calories we do not use - they are calories from fat and carbohydrate. We simply overconsume everything in general. I don't - that's why I am not overweight, and I eat more carbohydrate than fat. Why? Because carbohydrate is superior to fat for energy and I lift semi-regularly, it is better for your thyroid, it is stored as saturated fat and omega-9 MUFA instead of PUFA like you get with non-ruminant meats, nuts and seeds, and it promotes better insulin sensitivity. I average around ~200g of carbohydrate a day, and it's leaned me out significantly from when I averaged 75g. I also have better fasting blood glucose numbers, more energy and I'm a lot stronger. Fat, from a metabolic standpoint, is the least advantageous macronutrient and it is the macro you need the least of to survive. Carbohydrate is so essential your body will break down your own muscles, organs and bones to get your brain glucose. Even in full-blown ketosis, you need ~50g of glucose a day that's coming from lean tissue. Fat, you need less than 1g a day to survive. It's the least needed, least metabolic advantageous macro, and I don't go out of my way to eat it because there is plenty of incidental fat in the foods I eat. Hell, I eat 1-2 lbs of meat a day, I think I'll survive.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The day I take a spoon to a bag of sugar will be the day they get a blizzard in Hell. That's disgusting. I can do some honey, but that's far from empty sugar and has real flavor. Now peanut butter...I'll throw down. I could eat that til I puke.
    I don't spoon sugar either man. I add it to things like milk, coffee, etc; By itself, it feels like eating sweet sand, and I'm sure by the second or third spoonful you'll get rather tired of it. It's a complimentary food, and a damn good one at that.

Honey, I could also eat by itself.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    This is the dumbest post i have read in long time.

By the way, if you need to eat carbs every few hours to keep glucose up, sounds like your pre diabetic or something. My diet is 60-70% sugar and i go 15 hours between my last and first meals, 4-5 hours between daily meals. No snacks, no crashes, no jitters, just consistent great energy.

But i will be sure to keep an eye out for signs that my glucose generating system is atrophying. :hugeeyeroll:
    Exactly. This is a sign of insulin resistance. NOT carbohydrate consumption. That's where Mark Sisson is dead wrong - this whole "fat burner" vs "sugar burner" BS. We ALL burn fat and sugar AT ALL TIMES. If at any given point you are not burning fat and sugar, you are dead.

And the worst part - high carbohydrate diets to not promote insulin resistance, they promote insulin sensitivity. Sugar is protective against diabetes. What promotes diabetes are nutrient deficiencies in copper, selenium, fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and oxidized polyunsaturated fat - the SAD, which is high in oxidized PUFA and low in nutrients is why you see diabetes rates high. Carbohydrate, like sodium, is a confounding factor and falls victim to epidemiology. It's not the carbs, it's the rancid fats and nutrient deficiencies from a diet high in phytate-rich/nutrient-poor grains and legumes.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Exactly. This is a sign of insulin resistance. NOT carbohydrate consumption. That's where Mark Sisson is dead wrong - this whole "fat burner" vs "sugar burner" BS. We ALL burn fat and sugar AT ALL TIMES. If at any given point you are not burning fat and sugar, you are dead.

And the worst part - high carbohydrate diets to not promote insulin resistance, they promote insulin sensitivity. Sugar is protective against diabetes. What promotes diabetes are nutrient deficiencies in copper, selenium, fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and oxidized polyunsaturated fat - the SAD, which is high in oxidized PUFA and low in nutrients is why you see diabetes rates high. Carbohydrate, like sodium, is a confounding factor and falls victim to epidemiology. It's not the carbs, it's the rancid fats and nutrient deficiencies from a diet high in phytate-rich/nutrient-poor grains and legumes.
    100% right. I've just given up trying to explain it. This topic had some mind boggling stupidity in which I just turned a blind eye to, because the more I read over it, the more I felt like my mind was decaying.

Honestly, this sort of bad science that is rampant around these forums is akin to the same nonsense that sensationalist CW advocates preach, just at a different side of the spectrum. Little knowledge, taking things out of context, and cherry picking.

I realized that "paleo", and the posts here were alike to all fad diets when I started seeing "paleo" products on the store shelves.
    nihil

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Now peanut butter...I could eat that til I puke.
    done it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I don't spoon sugar either man. I add it to things like milk, coffee, etc; By itself, it feels like eating sweet sand, and I'm sure by the second or third spoonful you'll get rather tired of it. It's a complimentary food, and a damn good one at that.

Honey, I could also eat by itself.
    I know you do the Ray Peat protocol. Believe me, I am not anti-sugar like most of the people around here. I think it's harmless in and of itself. However, it's still empty calories when compared to real food. I will not - ever - spoon sugar into my milk. It is senseless as you're just adding huge amounts of empty calories to your diet. I understand adding sugar may help aid in the digestion of lactose, but if you're eating appropriate fruit and starch and limiting grain intake and other types of insoluble fiber that destroys your gut health, you shouldn't be lactose intolerant. If you want to pair your milk with sugar, eat some fruit with it. A glass of milk with a banana, orange, apple, etc makes much more sense than adding refined sugar to something that's already somewhat sugary.

Honey I can't argue. As long as it's real honey, it's delicious. Go to Trader Joe's and buy their unfiltered creamed honey. It's $4.49/lb, which is a steal. Oh dear God. It's incredible.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast