Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Rebuttal needed for Low Carb "Myth" statement page 10

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    i can safely say i have never once tasted a mcnugget or chicken nugget anything and i've eaten some real crappy food in my time

something didn't sit right with me and the word "nugget". i always thought, when i was 8, and asked my grandpa when he took me to mcdonalds "chickens don't have nuggets, do they?" he told me no, and so i stayed away from them and got the cheeseburger happy meal instead. except, i didn't like beef until i was 14 so i actually did eat just the bun with a slice of processed cheese product.
    nihil

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I never had the nuggets until I was a teenager. I didn't even know they were an option. Of course my parents never took me to McD's, only my nanny or neighbors' parents, lol.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    So what's with the round nugget thing? Are the shapes even intentional
    nihil

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    What do you think I've been saying this whole time? The Primal Blueprint works for one reason - whole foods are more filling and nutritious than processed foods, so you naturally eat less calories. It works by spontaneously reducing calories - CICO.

It has absolutely nothing to do with carbs. You can do the same thing with chicken breast and potatoes. You may even reach your goal faster since potatoes and chicken breast is more satiating than fatty cuts of meat. Try consuming 1,000 calories of grilled chicken breast and baked potatoes vs 1,000 calories of bacon and sausage. You'll eat less chicken and potatoes probably every time. Eat the foods that keep your calorie intake lowest.

If you want to track your macros, again, the pizza and ice cream diet will be just as successful as The Primal Blueprint for weight loss since calories are all that matter for weight.
    Ok I urge you to look at carb addiction, think on it, look for it. I know you will instantly draw back when you read that but I hope you look at it. See this is what your missing. We atrophy what we don't use. If our diets are full of carbs, over time our glucose generating systems become atrophied and weak (just like our muscles do).

So a person with atrophied glucose generating systems (from over eating carbs) tries a CICO diet, he eats a nice, whole food, nutritious breakfast thinking this will get him through to lunch or after, he's going great, he's going to hit his calorie targets for the day until.... BEEEP BEEEEP BEEEP two hours later his brain is screaming for carbs (glucose), because his body struggles to make it, so he satisfies the urge (I mean it is a sub conscious survival response) an boom his CICO diet is busted.

See this was my big "Ah ha" moment after reading mark's book and blog's by Peter Attia and Jack Kruze. I said to myself;

"I'm addicted to carbs here"

I then endeavored to kick the carb habit while slowly bringing my glucose generating systems online. It was fairly easy and only took 2 to 3 weeks. Now I just know I've got a stable amount of glucose running in my blood at nearly all times and if I'm hungry its because my other parts of my body need energy or nutrients, so I eat. This is the reason why I've lost about 65 -75 pounds of fat in a little over 3 months, with out counting the calories or macro's in any meal in that time.
    There's one thing I make sure tho and that is: I don't atrophy my glucose generating systems else I'll end up joining the 40% of western civilisation in being fat again.
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 03-14-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I just preferred the Round shape for some reason. Texture is very important to me, so perhaps shape is too? I'm sure it is intentional. They probably engineered shapes that are appealing to hold and play with.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Wouldn't failing at a low-fat diet suggest fat was the greater alluring factor, not carbs? A low-fat diet is likely to be high in carbs by default, so if people can fulfill their carb "addiction," where does the failure stem from?

Bad, brain, bad! Wants its preferred source of fuel. Silly mother nature, Internet Paleo gurus know better!
    First point: Failing at a low fat diet means failing to lose body fat. If you've greatly reduced a macro out of your diet and it doesn't make much difference to your waistline then that macro is usually "not" what is making you fat.

Second point: The failure stems from the act of fulfilling their carb addiction, They overeat and this causes a negative imbalance in the CICO formula, which leads to weight stagnation or gain (as we've been told six million times on this forum)
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 03-15-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Anyway I think you a little bit and the others to a greater degree are missing the elephant in the room. Yes all the pro carb studies that get talked about and even "your own" experiences are probably very true. but what you guys and the scientific studies miss is that western society is FAT, every where you look people are overweight or obese. Why is this? (pssst... they all eat high carb diets). somewhere there is a missing link between all the science and what is actually happening.
    The Kitavans also eat high carb diet, do they look overweight or obese to you?
    There's no elephant in the room. High carb diet consists of processed foods does not equal high carb diet consists of whole foods.
    A little N=1: I'm eating about 5-7 bananas a day and mix it up with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, citrus for weeks now and have not gained a single pound. My body became leaner.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    The Kitavans also eat high carb diet, do they look overweight or obese to you?
    There's no elephant in the room. High carb diet consists of processed foods does not equal high carb diet consists of whole foods.
    A little N=1: I'm eating about 5-7 bananas a day and mix it up with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, citrus for weeks now and have not gained a single pound. My body became leaner.
    Haha another kitavans pusher. I some times eat a high carb diet as you say with whole foods, shit sometimes I even eat processed carbs, I don't give a stuff. Why the obesity epidemic exists and what people can do about it relates to the op's original question much more.

Alot of people sprouted the reason for the epidemic is purely because they eat more calories than they should (which is true) but carbs are in a way responsible for this in my opinion. The reason carbs are responsible is over time they atrophy our ability to produce our own glucose, by being ever present in a SAD diet. This drives those people to eat every few hours thus increasing their food intake above the natural checks and balances our bodies have to decide the right amount of food to eat of its own accord. This surplus food causes a CICO imbalance resulting in weight gain.

Now we can get back to us,
    Because you as I do, both visit this board, we have probably done a low carb stint for long enough for our bodies to regain the ability to produce its own glucose. this basicaly renders carbs inert to us as a fat gaining risk. Because we can naturally go for 5 hours (any number) or more with out eating and our bodies can keep up the glucose to our hungry brain, thus it doesn't have a hissy fit every 2 hours causing us to over eat. Therefore we can stand on our soapboxes and sprout on the forums how much carbs we can eat without Ill effects to any unsuspecting SAD eater who happens to pass by.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another factor: like mates with like. Sedentary people mate with sedentary people. Chubs mate with chubs. Both sets have more time to mate and have more children. 40 years is approximately two generations. Population skews to chub.

Also:

Studies of identical twins who have been raised apart show that genes have a strong influence on a person's weight. Overweight and obesity tend to run in families. Your chances of being overweight are greater if one or both of your parents are overweight or obese.

Your genes also may affect the amount of fat you store in your body and where on your body you carry the extra fat. Because families also share food and physical activity habits, a link exists between genes and the environment.
    Source for quote: What Causes Overweight and Obesity? - NHLBI, NIH

CICO is a good guideline, but a calorie isn't necessarily a calorie. If it were black and white, there wouldn't be thousands getting rich off of overweight people, there'd only be one.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast