Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iodine - UK experiences/advice page

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member

Iodine - UK experiences/advice

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

Having read through the countless Iodine threads and posts I am still none the wiser whether to supplement with Iodine.

I just wondered what people did in the UK to get Iodine as it is really hard from my experience to get it from food if you eat this way. I don't know any supermarket that stocks seaweed or kelp and I don't eat enough Saltwater fish to get the recommended dose.

I have decided to do an experiment on myself using PHDs recommendation of Potassium Iodide - it is en route from Amazon.

This is based on the fact that since cutting out dairy, and most processed foods, my fat loss has been great but my mental clarity and general energy has not been that what I want recently and I seem to have many of the Iodine deficiency symptoms.

so anyone with a similar experience in the UK?

Thanks for reading.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    You can get tested for iodine deficiency at the doctor's office. A simple blood test.

You can order nori/seaweed sheets online. Really tasty snack. I'm not sure how much iodine you'd get from those, however.

Iodine deficiency symptoms can also be the same symptoms as a host of other problems. I would suggest you get tested before tampering with something that could affect your thyroid function.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Most big supermarkets stock Nori for rolling sushi - though more expensive.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    You can get tested for iodine deficiency at the doctor's office. A simple blood test.
    Not in the UK, sadly. Or at least not unless you do it privately and pay through the nose for it.

BBC News - Worrying levels of iodine deficiency in the UK

unfortunately it seems that it isn't on the UK Government's agenda.

40% of iodine consumption in UK apparently comes from cows milk - which I do not use.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    This is based on the fact that since cutting out dairy, and most processed foods, my fat loss has been great but my mental clarity and general energy has not been that what I want recently and I seem to have many of the Iodine deficiency symptoms.
    Adam, I've lost weight and do not have your problem. I'm wondering if you've gone at the exercise too hard? I stuck to about one pound a week weight loss and have felt fine having a varied diet. I have to say though that I have two large eggs made into a sort of omelette with butter/coconut oil and either spinach or mushrooms every morning. There's a lot of goodness in that little package. As for exercise, I've stuck with short intense workouts rather than long drawn out sessions. Just a thought and I hope you get sorted soon.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Grizz is offline Banned
    EXCELLENT new book just came out this month available at Amazon:
    The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life [Paperback]

You will find the answers to all of your questions on iodine at the CureZone:
    Iodine Supplementation Support Forum by VWT Team, Page 565, Vulcanel, Wombat & Trapper/kcmo:

Iodine Q&A
    Iodine and Orthoiodosupplementation Frequently Asked Questions FAQ

Complete list of testimonials & references:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Best to all,
    Grizz

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Wow, you brought the iodine troll back in a single thread.

Just be aware that supplementing with iodine can actually be tricky. If you get too little iodine it's bad. Too MUCH iodine and it's JUST as bad, maybe WORSE.

It's a fine line. And iodine is a bioaccumulative mineral meaning it accumulates until it gets used, so you can kind of "stockpile" it as it were. And when the stockpile gets too high or low, then the problems begin.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    ... then the problems begin.
    What kind of problems? How much iodine supplementation will cause these problems? Thanks.

Just an update,

the supplementation of Potassium Iodide is really working for me. My energy levels are definitely up. I am sleeping better and my skin feels less dry.

I think this is a real problem in the UK as we do not have many sources of Iodine in our food at all.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast