Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice? Potatoes? page

Rice? Potatoes?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm a bit confused/interested in why so many people seem to be eating potatoes and rice? Especially the rice... How much of it do eat, those of you who eat it?

Padz is offline Junior Member
    I do occasionally eat a jacket potato for lunch, sometimes a few new potatoes or some brown rice for dinner (like half of one of those microwave packets). Generally small portions though just to recover glycogen from workouts.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I eat rice about 2 or 3 times per week. Just last night we got Indian food and I had probably 1/2-3/4 cup of basmati rice with my meal. For lunch today I'm having leftovers, which includes about 1/3-1/2 cup of the same rice.

I eat white potatoes infrequently; sometimes once then not again for weeks... while other times, like last week, I'll have hash browns with breakfast for two consecutive days! I do love sweet potatoes, though I don't eat them as much as I'd like.

I eat these things because my body likes them; some folks can't eat them for physical/inflammation/allergy/etc. reasons, so they don't. I don't bloat or feel sick when I eat potatoes or rice, so there's no reason for me to get rid of them.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amber_maiden View Post
    I'm a bit confused/interested in why so many people seem to be eating potatoes and rice? Especially the rice... How much of it do eat, those of you who eat it?
    They taste good; I eat them both almost everyday bout 500g potatoes and 150g of rice.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-11-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Michiel is offline Member
    If you eat those things then why are you on this forum? Isn't one of the main ideas for getting your health thriving again to stop the carbs?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i eat potatoes, sweet potatoes or white rice almost every day. if its white potatoes, probably 2 average sized potatoes. if its sweet potatoes, 1 large one. if its white rice, maybe 2 cups cooked. maybe a little more. i eat them because they taste good and because they are a great way to get carbs. paleo/primal way of eating is not a low carb diet.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
    If you eat those things then why are you on this forum? Isn't one of the main ideas for getting your health thriving again to stop the carbs?
    No.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
    Er... no. Primal is not synonymous with no-carb. Have you read the PB or MDA posts? Look at the carb curve, scour the archives to learn about carb refeeding, 80/20 (primal/non-primal), etc.

To your original question:

Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Just in those two places, Mark clearly states that these things can fit in a primal lifestyle just fine.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

krsn89 is offline Member
    I consider myself "primal" to an extent but I have recently started incorporating more carbs a la "Perfect Health Diet" after being VLC/keto for so long. I eat maybe a cup (cooked) of white rice a day, and white potatoes a couple of times a week, sometimes less. Sweet potatoes more infrequently but I do eat those too. Rice doesn't affect me like some other foods do and it definitely helped with some issues I was having being VLC/keto.

If you're looking for some info about incorporating some starches into your diet, check out Dr. Paul Jaminet's site The Diet | Perfect Health Diet.

I think in this case it's really about what your body can handle. I just feel better on a more moderate carb approach.

Padz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Er... no. Primal is not synonymous with no-carb. Have you read the PB or MDA posts? Look at the carb curve, scour the archives to learn about carb refeeding, 80/20 (primal/non-primal), etc.

To your original question:

Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Just in those two places, Mark clearly states that these things can fit in a primal lifestyle just fine.
    I have to disagree. The recurring point that mark makes is that primal is minimal carbs. And certainly not from grains or starchy tubers. Even in the two articles you link he states that they won't do you harm to eat them occasionally if you are quite active.

For the average person they're just not really giving any benefit. The only time I eat rice or potato is after an intense gym workout. Eating them at any other time will only result in the carbs being stored as fat. Pretty counter productive to weight/fat loss if you ask me.

Your paint about carb re-feeding is sound however. If you lead an active lifestyle you may need to have a carb day to replenish your glycogen stores.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast