Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Rice? Potatoes? page 7

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Excess fat can be stored as fat, therefore you need to eat more carbs, regardless of the present composition of your diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Excess anything can be stored as fat, therefore don't exceed your maintenance if you don't want to get fat.
    Thanks for picking up on my ambiguity so I could clarify. What I meant to express was "Excess fat can be stored as fat, therefore you need to eat a higher proportion of your diet as carbs and less as fat." I've gotten that advice a lot of times from posters in this forum who really have no idea what I eat.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I don't think our bodies process calories and macronutrients the way some of you guys describe. The whole "extra carbs = fat" and such argument is silly. It's not as if your body gets all its calories for the day, calls it "done", and then you add 50g of pure carbs and it just stores them as fat. Our bodies are in a constant state of energy consumption. The only time this process stops is when you die. This energy comes from all kinds of different sources and macronutrients. If, on average, the body finds that it has more energy than it needs, it stores it for later, if it has less than it needs, it starts burning through its reserves.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    As I'm sure your aware, Marks has a carbohydrates curves for people to follow to stay primal, and lose fat. It doesn't really matter what carb you eat if you are WITHIN what he suggests although he recommends you get them from veggies due to their superior health benefits but in the end it doesn't matter what carb.

Timthetaco is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I don't think our bodies process calories and macronutrients the way some of you guys describe. The whole "extra carbs = fat" and such argument is silly. It's not as if your body gets all its calories for the day, calls it "done", and then you add 50g of pure carbs and it just stores them as fat. Our bodies are in a constant state of energy consumption. The only time this process stops is when you die. This energy comes from all kinds of different sources and macronutrients. If, on average, the body finds that it has more energy than it needs, it stores it for later, if it has less than it needs, it starts burning through its reserves.
    100% truth

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    100% truth
    I almost agree accept the part about "If the body has more than it needs it stores it for later". In a perfectly functioning human being, a calorie excess causes an increase in metabolism, through uncoupling proteins, which create heat outside of the krebs cycle as a way of dealing with the excess calories. In these people, overfeeding results in increased body heat and burning of fuel well above their normal metabolic rate.

If someone is actively burning excess calories in this way, they would say 'calories don't matter!', but unfortunately, these people are far and few between around here. ChocoTaco may be one, I am not.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat white potatoes or rice. Very, very occasionally I'll eat a purple potato. This is because my husband is our cook and he likes potatoes.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amber_maiden View Post
    I'm a bit confused/interested in why so many people seem to be eating potatoes and rice? Especially the rice... How much of it do eat, those of you who eat it?
    I pretty much eat rice, potatoes or kumara (sweet potatoes) with dinner every night.

When I first went primal I cut out potatoes, we just stopped having rice (although not intentionally, we eliminated a lot of foods unintentionally) and massively increased our consumption of kumara. I also dabbled in IF and I think that mt carb consumption was too low.

I now eat 2-3 tablespoons of starchy veges every dinner. Except for when we have fish and chips
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padz View Post
    I have to disagree. The recurring point that mark makes is that primal is minimal carbs. And certainly not from grains or starchy tubers. Even in the two articles you link he states that they won't do you harm to eat them occasionally if you are quite active.

For the average person they're just not really giving any benefit. The only time I eat rice or potato is after an intense gym workout. Eating them at any other time will only result in the carbs being stored as fat. Pretty counter productive to weight/fat loss if you ask me.

Your paint about carb re-feeding is sound however. If you lead an active lifestyle you may need to have a carb day to replenish your glycogen stores.
    I have to disagree. It did appear, 3 years or so ago, that a lot of people equated primal with low carb. But tubers have become much more accepted as a valuable food source and carbs are no longer demonised by many people.

Kurt Harris of PaNu (Archevore) says this

"I also have come to see most starchy plant organs as perfectly legitimate fuel sources.

Low carb plans have helped people lose fat by reducing food reward from white flour and excess sugar and maybe linoleic acid. This is by accident as it happens that most of the "carbs" in our diet are coming in the form of manufactured and processed items that are simply not real food. Low carb does not work for most people via effects on blood sugar or insulin "locking away" fat. Insulin is necessary to store fat, but is not the main hormone regulating fat storage. That would be leptin.

My reading of the anthropology and ethnology literature, as well as my current understanding of biochemistry and metabolism, lead me to see the human metabolism as a multi-fuel stove, equally capable of burning either glucose or fatty acids at the cellular level depending on the organ, the task and the diet, and equally capable of depending on either animal fats or starches from plants as our dietary fuel source, depending on the biome (biological environment) we find ourselves born in or that we migrate to.

We are a highly adaptable species. It is not plausible that carbohydrates as a class of macronutrient are toxic."

I have been eating white potatoes most days for ages now and white rice occasionally. And feel very much better for it - and weight has remained stable.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I have to disagree. It did appear, 3 years or so ago, that a lot of people equated primal with low carb. But tubers have become much more accepted as a valuable food source and carbs are no longer demonised by many people.

Kurt Harris of PaNu (Archevore) says this

"I also have come to see most starchy plant organs as perfectly legitimate fuel sources.

Low carb plans have helped people lose fat by reducing food reward from white flour and excess sugar and maybe linoleic acid. This is by accident as it happens that most of the "carbs" in our diet are coming in the form of manufactured and processed items that are simply not real food. Low carb does not work for most people via effects on blood sugar or insulin "locking away" fat. Insulin is necessary to store fat, but is not the main hormone regulating fat storage. That would be leptin.

My reading of the anthropology and ethnology literature, as well as my current understanding of biochemistry and metabolism, lead me to see the human metabolism as a multi-fuel stove, equally capable of burning either glucose or fatty acids at the cellular level depending on the organ, the task and the diet, and equally capable of depending on either animal fats or starches from plants as our dietary fuel source, depending on the biome (biological environment) we find ourselves born in or that we migrate to.

We are a highly adaptable species. It is not plausible that carbohydrates as a class of macronutrient are toxic."

I have been eating white potatoes most days for ages now and white rice occasionally. And feel very much better for it - and weight has remained stable.
    ^This.

Even Mark makes many points in his recent posts that talks about how his views are changing all the time as he continues to grow in his Primal journey. 2009 Mark is not the same as 2013 Mark.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

otzi Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    I have been reading through the Weston A. Price journals Nutrition and Physical Degeneration recently and he documented very well in the '30's that every group of people who were eating an ancestral diet suffered immediately when introduced to refined sugar, flour, and vegetable oils. Effects were seen immediately in tooth decay and susceptibility to disease and in their offspring by deformities of bone and growth development.

I think a great disservice has been done calling potatoes, rice, plantains, etc... 'carbs'. We should have been focusing our attention on sugar and flour.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast