Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 71

Thread: Rice? Potatoes? page 6

  1. #51
    Padz's Avatar
    Padz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    12
    Primal Fuel
    Well maybe you're both right on that point and quite a few people that I've leant from a wrong as well as me!

    But the point that unused carbs will be stored as fat is definite, and as far as I know the body requires fat and protein to more than it does carbs. And when you are exercising and breaking down your muscle they need fat and protein to rebuild the muscle whereas they only need carbs for refilling glycogen stores (however without carbs the glycogen stored can be refilled through converting fat or protein).

  2. #52
    Richard Seekins's Avatar
    Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Yorkshire ( UK)
    Posts
    142
    OK I see a lot of this going on on the forum recently.

    I for one simply don't understand nutrition enough to comment in a scientific way. All I can see is the evidence that a low bad carb diet works for me. ( how do we define bad carbs?) The simple removal of sugar is probably the reason I lost weight, and the removal of grains deffo stops my bloating.

    I have never measured what I eat as such and just eat veg as and when I want it. I honestrly feel I could eat huge amounts of veg with no weight gain, but I get full before this happens anyway.

    Do what works for the individual and when you get to a place where your happy with your weight, experiment with things and see how it changes things or not.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

    Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

  3. #53
    Darz's Avatar
    Darz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Observable Universe
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Padz View Post

    But the point that unused carbs will be stored as fat is definite,
    So will protein and fat, if in a surplus, more easily, so what's your point?


    Quote Originally Posted by Padz View Post
    And when you are exercising and breaking down your muscle they need fat and protein to rebuild the muscle
    fat doesn't build muscle, but sure, it's very important for your overall health

    Carbs are optimal in that they will help you with your workout and well being, plus they are tasty imo and, depending on the carb source, they do have micronutrients; of course, some people will benefit from going low carb/keto, especially those with some type of metabolic problem or epilepsy, so there's no reason to shun away from them.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-12-2013 at 08:15 AM.

  4. #54
    Padz's Avatar
    Padz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    So will protein and fat, if in a surplus, more easily, so what's your point?
    I've been taught the only way for protein to be stored as fat was for it to be converted to carb first. If that's right surely that means protein is harder to store as fat than carb? Or at least less efficient.

    Just to make the point, I'm not against carbs I eat plenty myself. I just believe that controlling your carb intake to your body needs is massively important in lowering or keeping body fat low. It certainly works for me.

    @Richard Seekings: a good point. Ditch sugar
    Last edited by Padz; 03-12-2013 at 08:19 AM.

  5. #55
    Darz's Avatar
    Darz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Observable Universe
    Posts
    270
    a poorly constructed sentence sorry; the "more easily" was for "fat"; conversion of protein to fat is rare - but there is a pathway. What might happen if there is an excess of protein intake in an excess in amino acid oxidation.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.

  6. #56
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Excess fat can be stored as fat, therefore you need to eat more carbs, regardless of the present composition of your diet.

  7. #57
    Darz's Avatar
    Darz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Observable Universe
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Excess fat can be stored as fat, therefore you need to eat more carbs, regardless of the present composition of your diet.
    Excess anything can be stored as fat, therefore don't exceed your maintenance if you don't want to get fat.

  8. #58
    TCates190's Avatar
    TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    124
    I eat potatoes and a lot of fruit. Why? I'm active and it makes me feel good. If I don't I feel like crap and don't have any energy. If VLC works for you and makes you feel good, do it. If you don't feel well, don't. Different things work for different people and there's no way one prescribed diet will work. For me a high protein, moderate carb and moderate/lower fat works best. It's all N=1 don't fear something because it affects people differently.

  9. #59
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by krsn89 View Post
    I consider myself "primal" to an extent but I have recently started incorporating more carbs a la "Perfect Health Diet" after being VLC/keto for so long. I eat maybe a cup (cooked) of white rice a day, and white potatoes a couple of times a week, sometimes less. Sweet potatoes more infrequently but I do eat those too. Rice doesn't affect me like some other foods do and it definitely helped with some issues I was having being VLC/keto.

    If you're looking for some info about incorporating some starches into your diet, check out Dr. Paul Jaminet's site The Diet | Perfect Health Diet.

    I think in this case it's really about what your body can handle. I just feel better on a more moderate carb approach.
    I agree, just read the Perfect Health Diet. Absolutely one of the best books on nutrition. The author's analysis of ancestral diets suggest a generalized macro nutrient ratio of 30% carbohydrates, 15% protein and 55% fat is optimum for health. They stress that its important to eat what they call safe starches - tubar vegetables including potatoes and white rice (not brown rice which contains phytates).
    Last edited by canuck416; 03-12-2013 at 09:34 AM.

  10. #60
    Silvergirl's Avatar
    Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    521
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    While I was still wanting to lose weight I eliminated all potato and rice, only having a tiny bit of sweet potato on occasion. Since surpassing my goal I have put some rice and potato back in my diet in moderation. I still make an effort to keep the nutrient value very high.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •