Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice? Potatoes? page 4

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    how is a carb not perfect? whats wrong with it? it sounds like you are lumping doritos in with potatoes and rice or carbs from broccoli.

you could lose 100lbs eating mcdonalds cheeseburgers. as long as you were in a calorie defecit
    You can continue to ignore the point of my original post - that "millions of people" have not successfully lost weight and kept it off using a high carb protocol of any sort. Or any other protocol. If there existed a highly successful weight loss formula, the country wouldn't have an obesity problem.

Citation still needed.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You can continue to ignore the point of my original post - that "millions of people" have not successfully lost weight and kept it off using a high carb protocol of any sort. Or any other protocol. If there existed a highly successful weight loss formula, the country wouldn't have an obesity problem.

Citation still needed.
    You don't even have a point. Your "point" is a logical fallacy. There already is a solution, but people still don't follow it because it isn't a magical pill, or for x other reason. Laziness and ignorance is the "obesity epidemic".
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

not on the rug is online now Senior Member

Citation still needed.
    i understand that you are new to this and you're excited about it. but you truly have no idea what you're talking about. slow down. re-read the pb. check out some other sources online. it will do you good in the long run.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    If millions of people were losing 100 or more pounds each on a weight loss program of eating lots of carbs, there would be no problem in this country with morbid obesity. 2% or fewer of those who go on diets lose the weight they intend to and keep it off, and most diets include lots of carbs.
    Who said anything about keeping it off? You're putting words in my mouth. If people gain back the weight they lost, they simply changed their CICO (consciously or unconsciously) by eating more food, getting less exercise/activity, metabolic downregulation, and/OR changing the foods they eat and replaced them with foods that have a lesser thermal effect. E.g., replaced 200 calories of chicken breast with 200 calories of ice cream

Millions of people lose weight eating a high or moderately high carb diet. Keeping it off is another issue entirely, you are confusing the argument. Why would someone gain back weight by eating carbs if eating carbs already brought them to a loss? You ont just magically start regaining weight by eating exactly what you lost weight eating. The only answer is the deficit or maintenance was altered somehow. It is not carbs that changed, its the other variables.

And if you want proof that millions lose weight eating carbs, look no further than weight watchers, Jenny Craig, and nutri system. Thy all have high success rates because thy DO work to take weight off. Any deficit will yield weight loss results.

It's not rocket science to understand that in order to keep the weight off you cannot revert back to habits or carelessness that may have gotten you to an overweight stage.

Eating 200g carbs day = can lose weight!
    Eating 200g carbs day = insidious weight gain; regain all teh lost weight!1!@

Does not make sense unless SOMETHING else changes.
    Last edited by j3nn; 03-11-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i understand that you are new to this and you're excited about it. but you truly have no idea what you're talking about. slow down. re-read the pb. check out some other sources online. it will do you good in the long run.
    I get it, really. I have been wheat-free for a decade, and you?

You don't have data so you can make it up and pretend it's real. Right? Or have you located those millions of people who have successfully lost weight yet?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Eating 200g carbs day = can lose weight!
    Eating 200g carbs day = insidious weight gain; regain all teh lost weight!1!@

Does not make sense unless SOMETHING else changes.
    How about this:

Eating 200g potatoes and/or rice = can lose weight!
    Eating 200g refined sugar+flour = insidious weight gain; regain all teh lost weight!1!@

That actually makes sense...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes and white rice are fine in moderation. If you don't buy organic, do peel them before preparing. They're getting as yuckie as strawberries and greens if not organic. Potatoes grow in the ground along with beets, carrots, turnips, etc. Nothing wrong there. And white rice is so processed from its original form, that it's practically a filler food.

Find the carb level with which you're comfortable. Find a food tracker so you can see how many carbs are in different portion sizes of various carbs that you like. You don't have to eat any food daily and you don't really have to avoid any food for the rest of your life (within reason and the parameters of your health issues, if any).

I believe in the calorie model. However, keeping carbs lower seems to keep me from being hungry all the time. But that's just me, not everyone.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    How about this:

Eating 200g potatoes and/or rice = can lose weight!
    Eating 200g refined sugar+flour = insidious weight gain; regain all teh lost weight!1!@

That actually makes sense...
    Actually, not quite. I am positive in a true deficit you can still lose weight eating pure sugar and flour, but some carb-heavy sources have a higher thermal effect than others; banana is metabolized differently than soda with HFCs. This is what's important to understand.

Eta: the 200g was an arbitrary number used as an example, before someone takes it literally and absolutely.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    I get it, really. I have been wheat-free for a decade, and you?

You don't have data so you can make it up and pretend it's real. Right? Or have you located those millions of people who have successfully lost weight yet?
    i don't even know what you're talking about. i think you are confusing something that someone else said with me. i never said a damn thing about millions of people.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Actually, not quite. I am positive in a true deficit you can still lose weight eating pure sugar and flour, but some carb-heavy sources have a higher thermal effect than others; banana is metabolized differently than soda with HFCs. This is what's important to understand.

Eta: the 200g was an arbitrary number used as an example, before someone takes it literally and absolutely.
    I knew what you were saying...but I think a diet high in refined sugar and flour can lead to things like inflammation and overeating on other foods, where a diet in real foods, even starch, is more in line with good health and weight stability.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast