Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice? Potatoes? page 3

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Shrugs. I have lost nearly 100 lbs eating lots of carbs, and know millions of others do the same. This myth needs to be buried.
    ^this. thank you.

Matt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    ^this. thank you.
    +1.

I eat white rice, potatoes, or sweet potatoes twice every day. I started Primal VLC because I wanted to "lose weight". Well since then, I've slowly added carbs back to my diet and currently sit around 200-250g per day and have noticed zero difference with respect to weight loss.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If millions of people were losing 100 or more pounds each on a weight loss program of eating lots of carbs, there would be no problem in this country with morbid obesity. 2% or fewer of those who go on diets lose the weight they intend to and keep it off, and most diets include lots of carbs.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If millions of people were losing 100 or more pounds each on a weight loss program of eating lots of carbs, there would be no problem in this country with morbid obesity. 2% or fewer of those who go on diets lose the weight they intend to and keep it off, and most diets include lots of carbs.
    By taking a boo through j3nn's blog, I don't think you can compare her journey to those eating carb-heavy SAD diets. The quality of the carbs counts for a lot, and a cup of white rice isn't going to promote obesity the way a Costco-sized bag of Cheetos is. As long as highly-processed food is what most people reach for, there will always be an obesity epidemic.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    you can't honestly believe that carbohydrates are bad, right?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Unsaturated fat
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you can't honestly believe that carbohydrates are bad, right?
    Bad? No. The perfect food? No.

But the idea that millions of people are permanently losing 100 or more pounds by eating any sort of diet is nonsense, be it high or low carb, high or low fat, high or low protein, healthy or really bad. The number of people who eat Paleo are so few as to be not even on the medical radar.

I'd like a citation.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Bad? No. The perfect food? No.

But the idea that millions of people are permanently losing 100 or more pounds by eating any sort of diet is nonsense, be it high or low carb, high or low fat, high or low protein, healthy or really bad. The number of people who eat Paleo are so few as to be not even on the medical radar.

I'd like a citation.
    how is a carb not perfect? whats wrong with it? it sounds like you are lumping doritos in with potatoes and rice or carbs from broccoli.

you could lose 100lbs eating mcdonalds cheeseburgers. as long as you were in a calorie defecit
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I eat a banana or two every day, grain once a week (not rice, buckwheat or millet in 1/3 cup dry quantity) and potatoes... not sure. I could not honestly count myself among the living when I tried to stay in ketosis.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    I think a big injustice to dieting is done by lumping all forms of carbohydrate together. I fell into this trap myself, so can speak from experience. When starting PB, I wanted to stay around 50g or less carbs per day. I was getting this 50g from things like sugar, nuts, veggies--zero from starch. Starchy foods are very easy to avoid because they are big, obnoxious, in-your-face kinda foods. Sugar is hard to avoid and easy to justify.

Eating a potato or some rice in no way is the same as eating Doritoes, candy bars, and white bread. Potatoes and rice are real foods and not a cause of insidious weight gain when eaten in sensible quantities. A diet completely devoid of starch is not a good long term plan, IMO.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast