Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice? Potatoes? page 2

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I stopped doing the whole low carb thing a few weeks ago when I finally realized that (or accepted the fact that) eating very low carb wasn't helping me lose any weight. I was basically doing a cyclic ketogenic diet for a while with carb refeeds on the weekends to fuel my interval training. Ketosis just wasn't doing anything for me. And I'm pretty sure that the reason is that I don't experience any loss of appetite in ketosis, whereas many people do. My theory is that ketosis will cause you to lose weight if you experience appetite suppression while in ketosis, but if you don't experience appetite suppression, it will not magically cause you to lose weight. Anyway, I finally came to accept that macros don't really matter that much (or not as much as some people believe). So I started eating sweet potatoes, potatoes, and rice. I eat sweet potatoes very frequently, maybe 4-5 times a week. I eat rice maybe 2-3 times a week, usually when I get Thai food. I don't eat white potatoes that frequently, unless I'm doing the potato diet thing.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't kept up with everything Mark has written for the past two years, but he has, in the past, been comfortable with rice and white potatoes in moderation. I believe he even uses sugar (horrors!) in his coffee (or did). It seems like he is a lot more flexible and moderate in his approach than many on the forum. That's what most attracted me to this way of life. Legalism and dogma are so tiring and even stressful to me. Live and let live. I cannot do VLC and find it difficult to get enough carbs if I don't add a little potato and rice. When eating out, being able to eat some of these two definitely broadens options. It's not easy finding a winter squash on the menu at most restaurants. At home, sometimes I just need something really quick and handy and potatoes and rice help with that or the odd banana and Mr. Anthony has proven that is not a bad thing
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 03-11-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padz View Post
    I have to disagree. The recurring point that mark makes is that primal is minimal carbs. And certainly not from grains or starchy tubers. Even in the two articles you link he states that they won't do you harm to eat them occasionally if you are quite active.

For the average person they're just not really giving any benefit. The only time I eat rice or potato is after an intense gym workout. Eating them at any other time will only result in the carbs being stored as fat. Pretty counter productive to weight/fat loss if you ask me.

Your paint about carb re-feeding is sound however. If you lead an active lifestyle you may need to have a carb day to replenish your glycogen stores.
    exactly where does mark say that his primal diet is "minimal carbs?" or that carbs "don't give any benefit?" or that they are "counterproductive to weight/fat loss?" if eating potatoes was counterproductive to weight/fat loss, how is it that many people here are having success with (ridiculous) potato diets and whatnot?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    ...other carbohydrates beside vegetables are, in fact, quite healthy even some starchy ones such as yams, brown rice, and legumes. My concern is that many people rely on mostly refined and/or whole grains for their fiber intake and tend to add in some vegetables, when it ought to be the other way around.
    Source: Are There Any Good Carbs? | Mark's Daily Apple

My thinking on certain foods has changed over the years, and this is my acknowledgment of that. Fruit, while an awesome, delicious method of seed dispersal that Im glad plants employ, may not be right for everyone in unlimited quantities. Dense carb sources like starchy tubers and wild rice, while probably worth limiting and outright avoiding for people trying to lose weight, can be useful in the right situations. Dairy is another tool that many find extremely helpful (and tasty), and Ive realized that nuts/nut butters/nut oils arent like other sources of fat, and that moderation is probably prudent. When thinking changes, so to must the products of that thinking.
    Read more: Introducing the New Primal Blueprint Food Pyramid | Mark's Daily Apple
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

otzi Guest
    I think that LC, VLC, and even keto diets are good as a transition away from SAD, to lose lots of initial weight, and to address some health concerns, but as a long term eating strategy it is not as good as including several servings of high-quality starch throughout the day.

The Atkins diet included this philosophy, but no one seemed to be able to incorporate carbs at the proper time and it turned into a long-term keto diet for most.

I have found through trial and error, that a diet completely void of starch led to large weight fluctuations if anything 'off-plan' was eaten and that including several portions of potato, rice, or plantain a day have kept my weight more stable, my workouts better, my sleep better, and my metabolism (as judged by cold hands and feet) very high.

I think for the average PB dieter starting from an obese, sedentary place that LC is the best tactic for the first 6 months or so, then starch needs to be added back in some way. If it leads to rapid weight gain or eating issues, by all means don't do it, but I think more will benefit from the added carbohydrate than suffer.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    PB has never been about very low carb. It recommends 100-150g of carbs per day for weight maintenance (unless this has changed without me noticing). Very active people can comfortably consume more than this with no ill effects.

Mark is big on foods that provide clear benefits i.e. high in useful vitamins and minerals. This explains why rice and (white) potatoes aren't actively encouraged, as they are relatively empty calories.

However, quite frankly, most people on a Primal diet get more than enough vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds each day so are absolutely fine eating some foods like rice or potatoes in place of the usual mountains of vegetables (and some fruit too).

The number of people advising eating virtually no carbs at all on this site is getting ridiculous IMHO.

That said, YMMV.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    What's confusing? They're food. I eat one or both of them every day or as I want them. People who eat them tend to enjoy them. Not everyone abides by Mark's carb curve; many of us are PHD/Peat/WAPF eaters.
    Last edited by j3nn; 03-11-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
    If you eat those things then why are you on this forum? Isn't one of the main ideas for getting your health thriving again to stop the carbs?
    .??? No.

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    exactly where does mark say that his primal diet is "minimal carbs?" or that carbs "don't give any benefit?" or that they are "counterproductive to weight/fat loss?" if eating potatoes was counterproductive to weight/fat loss, how is it that many people here are having success with (ridiculous) potato diets and whatnot?
    Shrugs. I have lost nearly 100 lbs eating lots of carbs, and know millions of others do the same. This myth needs to be buried.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have to disagree. The recurring point that mark makes is that primal is minimal carbs. And certainly not from grains or starchy tubers. Even in the two articles you link he states that they won't do you harm to eat them occasionally if you are quite active.

For the average person they're just not really giving any benefit. The only time I eat rice or potato is after an intense gym workout.
    Primal is not minimal carbs; I mean, if you compare it with the normal worldwide diet, it might be much lower carb, however that doesn't mean you can't have a diet high in carbs and still be primal. And tubers are fine unless you have a real problem when eating them.

Eating them at any other time will only result in the carbs being stored as fat.
    No; carbs don't make you fat and, again, we come to the same statement, a calorie surplus will lead to weight gain.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast