Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Hello from Sunny Old England!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    6

    Hello from Sunny Old England!!

    Hi,

    I am fairly new to MDA.

    I have been doing the paleo diet for over a year now albeit with a few regretful breaks here and there. But, I am a firm believer in the primal diet since it has rid my body of a slew of issues I suffered from as a young adult, which doctors were all to happy to remedy with various prescriptions. Gotta love medicine modern day medicine.

    I decided to sign up for this forum as I think it would be a great idea to share my experiences with the paleo diet. Also currently residing in a country where asking for a gluten free option is usually met with a bewildered expression, I thought it would be a great idea to learn from others who have limited options.

    I hope to add to my existing knowledge and help in my own little way make the "primal lifestyle" more mainstream.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    158
    Welcome!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SE London UK
    Posts
    60
    Hello from London ! where's the sunshine ?? it's been snowing here today ....

    I tend not to ask for the gluten-free option, you're right, confused looks all round. I just ask if I can swap the bread or pasta for extra salad.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spalding, Lincolnshire
    Posts
    542
    Been snowing here in Spalding too. Although there's bright sunshine at this particular moment.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    29
    A gorgeous sunny day here in the Scottish Highlands. Lots of snow over the weekend and still bitterly cold but the Cairngorms looked lovely this morning.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Posts
    11

    Talking Hello

    I am also from England (wiltshire) and new to MDA. Glad to see i'm not the only one not in sunny california! I think Paleo is sure to grow massively over the next few years, and the UK will be catching on a few years late... as with many things. I'm liking feeling that i'm ahead of the game here haha. Only been Paleo just a few weeks and i love it. I started on SCD to help a troublesome stomach, which lead me to Paleo, and I couldn't imagine ever going back.


    Quote Originally Posted by oszy13 View Post
    Hi,

    I am fairly new to MDA.

    I have been doing the paleo diet for over a year now albeit with a few regretful breaks here and there. But, I am a firm believer in the primal diet since it has rid my body of a slew of issues I suffered from as a young adult, which doctors were all to happy to remedy with various prescriptions. Gotta love medicine modern day medicine.

    I decided to sign up for this forum as I think it would be a great idea to share my experiences with the paleo diet. Also currently residing in a country where asking for a gluten free option is usually met with a bewildered expression, I thought it would be a great idea to learn from others who have limited options.

    I hope to add to my existing knowledge and help in my own little way make the "primal lifestyle" more mainstream.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    51
    Hi from sunny Yorkshire!

    I'm new ish on here too. Like Frankie I started with the SCD, which led me to Paleo/Primal. If I do let my eating habits slip, I notice it pretty quickly.

    I find that in cities, it's easy enough to get gluten free options. Occasionally, when eating out, I do have to settle for something that isn't 100% Primal/paleo, but it has to be gluten free as an absolute minimum due to being coeliac. We have a bar/restaurant here in Leeds though which does fab primal/paleo options (the guy who owns it is a Crossfitter) so it's slowly starting to catch on.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spalding, Lincolnshire
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPanda View Post
    I find that in cities, it's easy enough to get gluten free options.
    I think most eateries will make the effort if you explain the problem. Our older daughter is Coeliac and we took her to a Chinese restaurant for her 18th (22 years ago). We thought everything was wonderful. Until they brought out birthday cake........

    I find that getting restaurants to do me primal/paleo food is not usually any trouble. I just ask for extra mushrooms or something instead of bread, i will usually eat potatoes & chips (if fried in lard). I have not been refused yet.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    i will usually eat potatoes & chips (if fried in lard). I have not been refused yet.
    do you ask restaurants to fry your chips in lard?

    This is something i do at home but can't imagine asking in a restaurant, just assuming a) they wouldn't have lard on the premises and b) their deep fat fryer would be full of something else already

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spalding, Lincolnshire
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    do you ask restaurants to fry your chips in lard?
    No, I ask if they do it. If they don't I then ask for an alternative.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •