Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: It sucks being healthy!!! page 58

wiltondeportes Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Oh, I thought you were trying to start a conversation with me but you were actually just making fun of me. How silly of me. What a silly woman I am!
    Just toying, prodding.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It totally rocks being healthy. I don't need an obi wan kenobi teaching me diddly. I observe the world. I observe my reaction to it. I learn. I could care less if the rest of the world eats McDonald's with a side of Popeye's and dessert from Carvel.

I don't like evangelists of any order. Not Paleo, not Primal, not Peat, not Vegan, not Anything. There is no one solution for everyone. If you worship kale, so be it. If you worship a god, so be it. I could care less. I only care about what is good for me. I try not to hurt anyone else getting to where I'm going, but I could give a shit less what you eat, believe in, screw, etc. You are just another lump of meat as am I.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    You should call it "It sucks being healthy!!!"
    Epic.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It totally rocks being healthy. I don't need an obi wan kenobi teaching me diddly. I observe the world. I observe my reaction to it. I learn. I could care less if the rest of the world eats McDonald's with a side of Popeye's and dessert from Carvel.

I don't like evangelists of any order. Not Paleo, not Primal, not Peat, not Vegan, not Anything. There is no one solution for everyone. If you worship kale, so be it. If you worship a god, so be it. I could care less. I only care about what is good for me. I try not to hurt anyone else getting to where I'm going, but I could give a shit less what you eat, believe in, screw, etc. You are just another lump of meat as am I.
    Interesting. You're describing the non-aggression principle. At a certain point, you have to care what other people do and believe in.

It's an easy policy for peace in the day to day though.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Just toying, prodding.
    Ohhhhhh. I thought you were dropping a vague, thinly veiled come on that, if met with rejection could be easily twisted into an insult.

Interesting. You're describing the non-aggression principle. At a certain point, you have to care what other people do and believe in.

It's an easy policy for peace in the day to day though.
    It's really not non-agressive. As long as people don't screw with me, I don't need to screw with them. Yes, at a certain point I care. I've been doing drugs on and off through the whole "war on" thing. I've been screwing in and out of marriage through the anything goes 70s, the religious fanatic 90s, and beyond. It's pretty easy to live the way I live because most people can't see past their own belly buttons so I don't need to put out much effort to do what I want. Make partying illegal, I'll move elsewhere. Make employment so tough that employers shun the area, and I'll move elsewhere. I have a car. I have a little cash. I can put everything I care about into a few boxes in my car.

I honestly don't care if the whole world goes to hell in the proverbial handbasket - as long as it leaves me alone. But I have no respect, nor do I care about the lives of those who think they know better than I how I should live my life. So, yes, there is a limit. I'd either leave or fight. So far life has been easy - there's always something better on the horizon.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It's really not non-agressive. As long as people don't screw with me, I don't need to screw with them. Yes, at a certain point I care. I've been doing drugs on and off through the whole "war on" thing. I've been screwing in and out of marriage through the anything goes 70s, the religious fanatic 90s, and beyond. It's pretty easy to live the way I live because most people can't see past their own belly buttons so I don't need to put out much effort to do what I want. Make partying illegal, I'll move elsewhere. Make employment so tough that employers shun the area, and I'll move elsewhere. I have a car. I have a little cash. I can put everything I care about into a few boxes in my car.

I honestly don't care if the whole world goes to hell in the proverbial handbasket - as long as it leaves me alone. But I have no respect, nor do I care about the lives of those who think they know better than I how I should live my life. So, yes, there is a limit. I'd either leave or fight. So far life has been easy - there's always something better on the horizon.
    I cracked up so hard reading this part of Life of Pi.

Academic study and the steady, mindful practice of religion slowly brought me back to life. I have kept up what some people would consider my strange religious practices. After one year of high school, I attended the University of Toronto and took a double-major Bachelor's degree. My majors were religious studies and zoology. My fourth-year thesis for religious studies concerned certain aspects of the cosmogony theory of Isaac Luria, the great sixteenth-century Kabbalist from Safed. My zoology thesis was a functional analysis of the thyroid gland of the three-toed sloth. I chose the sloth because its demeanour-calm, quiet and introspective-did something to soothe my shattered self.

There are two-toed sloths and there are three-toed sloths, the case being determined by the forepaws of the animals, since all sloths have three claws on their hind paws. I had the great luck one summer of studying the three-toed sloth in situ in the equatorial jungles of Brazil. It is a highly intriguing creature. Its only real habit is indolence. It sleeps or rests on average twenty hours a day. Our team tested the sleep habits of five wild three-toed sloths by placing on their heads, in the early evening after they had fallen asleep, bright red plastic dishes filled with water. We found them still in place late the next morning, the water of the dishes swarming with insects. The sloth is at its busiest at sunset, using the word busy here in the most relaxed sense. It moves along the bough of a tree in its characteristic upside-down position at the speed of roughly 400 metres an hour. On the ground, it crawls to its next tree at the rate of 250 metres an hour, when motivated, which is 440 times slower than a motivated cheetah. Unmotivated, it covers four to five metres in an hour.

The three-toed sloth is not well informed about the outside world. On a scale of 2 to 10, where 2 represents unusual dullness and 10 extreme acuity, Beebe (1926) gave the sloth's senses of taste, touch, and its sense of smell a rating of 3. If you come upon a sleeping three-toed sloth in the wild, two or three nudges should suffice to awaken it; it will then look sleepily in every direction but yours. Why it should took about is uncertain since the sloth sees everything in a Magoo-like blur. Beebe reported that firing guns next to sleeping or feeding sloths elicited little reaction. And the sloth's slightly better sense of smell should not be overestimated. They are said to be able to sniff and avoid decayed branches, but Bullock (1968) reported that sloths fall to the ground clinging to decayed branches "often".

How does it survive you might ask.

Precisely by being so slow. Sleepiness and slothfulness keep it out of harm's way, away from the notice of jaguars, ocelots, harpy eagles and anacondas. A sloth's hairs shelter an algae that is brown during the dry season and green during the wet season, so the animal blends in with the surrounding moss and foliage and looks like a nest of white ants or of squirrels, or like nothing at all but part of a tree.

The three-toed sloth lives a peaceful, vegetarian life in perfect harmony with its environment. "A good-natured smile is forever on its own lips," reported Tirler (1966). I have seen that smile with my own eyes. I am not one given to projecting human traits and emotions onto animals, but many a time during that month in Brazil, up at sloths in repose, I felt I was in the presence of upside-down yogis deep in meditation or hermits deep in prayer, wise beings whose intense imaginative lives were beyond the reach of my scientific probing.
    But as for your life stance, it only works for yourself, and I think you also know that. My point was just that it doesn't work that way for "the world" or everyone else. Ostriches don't change the world; they are dependent upon the motorcycle staying straight without their hands on the handlebars. Yes, ostriches have hands.

I cracked up so hard reading this part of Life of Pi.

But as for your life stance, it only works for yourself, and I think you also know that. My point was just that it doesn't work that way for "the world" or everyone else. Ostriches don't change the world; they are dependent upon the motorcycle staying straight without their hands on the handlebars. Yes, ostriches have hands.
    I don't really see myself as an ostrich. I see stuff. In fact, in comparison to the "average" American, I probably see a lot. You know the whole, "what if they gave a war and nobody came?" thing? It's not passive. It's a stand. I don't like killing or any other form of violence. That doesn't mean I wouldn't indulge push come to shove. I fight my battles with money for the most part. I've only once had a standard mortgage; other than that, I've owned owner-financed properties. I get food stamps often when I qualify (see qualifications for why this is possible even when not dirt poor). I don't take loans on stupid shit like cars.

That said, come into my home uninvited, and especially in a "right to carry" state (I reside in one now), you're in trouble. I'm quiet. I'm basically passive. I'm a girl. But I have my limits. All I ask is that the world leave me the f*** alone. A pacifist pushed beyond her limits could be a dangerous person. We hippies aren't pushovers. We're just not thumping our chests and proclaiming our dominance.

B*tch-lite

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Wilton you just brushed right past my properties of human populations, which necessarily make the state an irrelevant imposition on people that do not need it.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    The LaRouche PAC is turrible.

No, infrastructure is what keeps civilization together. Give up your "ruling class" and "poor class" bullshit.
    I am not denying that infrastructure "keeps civilization together." What I am saying is, that is not the end of the sentence. There should be a comma, so that it reads like, "Infrastructure keeps civilization together, so that the ruling classes can better extract wealth from the earth and them that they lash.

Benefit is spread around to most citizens, and the non-benefitters are just collateral damage for the greater good, suffering unavoidable facts of life that would still exist without civilization.
    except that when Grok starved to death, it was because the earth itself had nothing left to give him, whereas when these trivial and pesky collateral damages starve to death today, it is engineered at a Bilderberg meeting, voted on at a G8 Conference, and executed as policy by transnational corporations and regional military strongmen.

Correction: People without government are going to be mid-violent conflict until population dwindles probably to 10% to 50% of what the world has currently. This alone will make work output decrease.
    that is literally an insane idea marketed to CW Mothers with kids in school. Think about how insane that is for real- where in human history do you see inter-tribal civil war as the default setting until some daddy figure in a toga sets them right? Racist, sexist, fear-mongering, ignorant bullshit.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast