Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: It sucks being healthy!!! page 22

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm just going to call you Mr. Smartypants from now on.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Ah by the way, if it sucks to be healthy, become unhealthy Problem fixed ... sometimes, simple ideas are the best, if not the smartest

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Um. Blaming the system might be easier than self accountability, but you aren't going to change your dating results if you aren't going to change your input. Something makes me think you are not just "smart" but actually love to stroke your own ego about it. Girls aren't going to be intimidated by a physics degree (ridiculous); they might be annoyed you talk about how smart you are and how awesome physics is the whole dinner date though.

Also-Did you look at yourself in the mirror? Are YOU attractive or at least not Unattractive? You cannot expect to find a total babe if you aren't a stud yourself. I usually find people who complain about no girls are the type who are totally not that attractive but shoot for the prettiest girls in the room.

Guys are way more likely to be "intimidated" by intelligence in girls than vice versa, and yet I still do just fine. I also have friends who are blaming not getting a guy because of NYC's skewed gender ratios and yet I do just fine in the dating scene.

I wasn't always "doing just fine" though. I was a total geek through and through in high school. Orchestra, science club, taking over 60hrs of college math/sci courses, Rubik's cube club for god's sake. I could blame guys for being "intimidated" or just accept the fact that I was a weird geek with zero social skills. I had to realize the problem was me and stop being so darn snooty/holier than thou and put more effort into my appearances and confidence.

Did some guys walk the other direction in college when I told them I double majored in biochemistry and chemical engineering? Maybe. Did all of them? No. The good guys stay around because intelligence is a positive trait to them. My ex in college loved to joke I carried at least 2 graphing calculators in my purse. I had friends and romantic interests from the fashion industry despite my geek majors. My trick? To know my audience. I am not going to talk about my research or about transport phenomena to fashion peeps. They don't care. If people ask me what I do, I will give a brief description in layman's terms. Of course, being nice and taking care of my appearance helps too.

To be bitter merely because the odds are against you is to give up and accept being a sore loser.

Eta: it should be noted that you are online complaining about how girls cannot take how awesome you are (eyeroll) rather than going out and approaching a real live human girl.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-09-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It's always funny to watch insecure people deal with dating. My SO has some friends and they are the guys that want girls with the *10* bodies, but they themselves are fat. Then you have the girls with the *10* bodies who want the guys with the big paychecks. And then, it's funny to see the people they end up settling with. My SO's one friend "who hates fat chicks" is with a chubby girl and loves her dearly and my neighbor who "won't date guys with incomes under six figures" is with a guy who just recently got hired by a pest control company and makes "art".

The person that you end up dating might be really unexpected, someone you never expected to work out.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

moluv is offline Senior Member
    I know I'm opening myself up for a personal attack by mentioning this Wilton, but reading this makes your PM's make a hulluva lot more sense. I will agree that disparities in intelligence make dating and mating difficult for you. But it's not just that you are more intelligent than everyone around you. Intellectually speaking, that may be true. But the real crux of your problem is that you lack emotional intelligence, and that's where you strike out relationally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
    If you find someone who is not intellectually able, you can expect to raise your kids on your own!
    That's not the whole story, there is also instinct. If I were to rely ONLY on intellect, I would not be a good father ... and just to give another example: my mother was a berbčre peasant, she never went to school because of war, she yet managed to raise 4 kids on her own (she is a widow) and provided me with all a child can care for, including enough intelligence and groundedness to fend for myself and my family. Not sure what the big deal it is to study hard science, etc. I did, and I can confidently say that there are many academic idiots ...

My dad was/is not at all an intellectual. My mom was and my brother is. I'm more like my dad. You would not discuss literature or science with my dad.

He was, however, a fantastic provider, took great care of all of us, and showed my mom a lot of love. I fail to see what makes him somehow less intelligent or worthy, just because he lacked degrees and perhaps some academic curiosity. I fully admit- I do not appreciate art or literature. I don't give a shit about science. I'm glad there are people that do. But you know, the world needs all types.

If you really enjoy "intellectual" pursuits, by all means, pursue them and it makes sense that you might not enjoy the company of people who like to watch football, fish or go to the NASCAR races. But don't think it somehow makes you a better person, a more capable parent or a better employee. It just means you have different interests. Simple as that. The biggest mistake is thinking you are somehow "better" then someone who doesn't get or understand your interests. That just is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    My dad was/is not at all an intellectual. My mom was and my brother is. I'm more like my dad. You would not discuss literature or science with my dad.

He was, however, a fantastic provider, took great care of all of us, and showed my mom a lot of love. I fail to see what makes him somehow less intelligent or worthy, just because he lacked degrees and perhaps some academic curiosity. I fully admit- I do not appreciate art or literature. I don't give a shit about science. I'm glad there are people that do. But you know, the world needs all types.

If you really enjoy "intellectual" pursuits, by all means, pursue them and it makes sense that you might not enjoy the company of people who like to watch football, fish or go to the NASCAR races. But don't think it somehow makes you a better person, a more capable parent or a better employee. It just means you have different interests. Simple as that. The biggest mistake is thinking you are somehow "better" then someone who doesn't get or understand your interests. That just is not the case.
    You know, my wife introduced me recently to the enneagram types (you can google it). While I am not versed in spiritual / mystical stuff, I was quite amazed by how much I could identify with one particular type (type 9). Looks like the OP is type 5

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @ Magnolia

I agree with that on one hand entirely.....as an example, a lot of the people that live where I do LOOK like your stereotypical country bumpkin x1000. Most of them make people in Southern Alabama look cosmopolitan. My neighbor has dead beavers hanging off his porch right now. Not even worth mentioning to him. Totally normal.

Most of them are not big timers when it comes to knowledge on science, art, music, or the like. They won't be taking my season tickets to the symphony any time soon as a gift; I'll put it that way

But they are incredibly well-versed on so many practical things that most people are clueless on. Taking care of animals, fixing just about anything, gardening, hunting, building homes, cutting wood, trapping, weather, etc...just about anything practical they are a genius.

With that all said, I DO have a big problem with people who have no interest in history, politics, society, or the other things that make one a citizen. I don't care if someone doesn't know a Picasso from a Rembrandt; one could chalk that up to "interests" or the way one was raised. Same goes for a lot of scientific knowledge....but that is not the same as not knowing a thing about our basic history, world events, and political structure. Not giving a shit about THAT stuff is, in my opinion, a dereliction of one's duty as a democratic citizen.

I have become really irritated with women I have been interested in before, and even more so at dudes I know, who act as if my knowledge of history or concern over events is akin to a "hobby" or "interest". It isn't. That is just called being a citizen. Regardless of opinion, we must all know basic facts. This whole system goes up in smoke if people don't know anything.

Or as Jefferson said, "A people cannot be both ignorant and free."
    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Learn More
    With that all said, I DO have a big problem with people who have no interest in history, politics, society, or the other things that make one a citizen.
    I have an interest in history and politics to a degree, but I hate the arguing that goes along with it. I don't like the debate, even if I understand the dynamics, I more or less don't offer up political opinions to people.

Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast