Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss About Self-Defense page

amerikick is offline Junior Member

Discuss About Self-Defense

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

Please share your thought about what's best gym or karate classes, I think kids should take karate classes and young for gym.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    My favorite martial art is the art of Clink Chink Pow.... I do agree that martial arts are a good thing to learn, if for no other reason than that of discipline.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Best for what, exactly?

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    No one should take karate classes.

Calidris is offline Junior Member
    As above, best for what? If you mean self defence then the best classes to take are running classes, then situational awareness classes. Lots of people take a few self defence classes in some form of martial art then think they can defend themselves. Even worse is they still think they can defend themselves years later even when they have not practiced at all!

If you are are going to go to martial arts for self defence then pick a style, any style, really study it and practice, practice, practice. If you do that you will come to realise that success is not determined by the size of dog in the fight but by the size of fight in the dog!

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    I took American Kenpo all through jr high - high school, reaching brown belt status. I'm very grateful I had that opportunity as it gave me confidence and the handful of times I needed it throughout my life it served me well enough to protect myself and give me time to get out of the situation. I plan on enrolling my kid in some sort of it as soon as he is old enough --if he has an interest.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Your best bet would be to train in some form of grappling - either wrestling or Brazilian jiu-jitsu. For striking arts, I'm a fan of Muay Thai.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I would plump for strength training and just get somebody to teach the person some dirty fighting moves. Then practice the moves consistently. My idea of self defence is to get away unscathed using some sort of distraction. If you distract them hard enough there should be time to get away.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    Your best bet would be to train in some form of grappling - either wrestling or Brazilian jiu-jitsu. For striking arts, I'm a fan of Muay Thai.
    This, and weight lifting. I wish I had started when I was a little kid.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    For grappling: Judo, BBJ, wrestling. For striking: boxing, Muay-Thai, kick-boxing. Avoid non-contact martial arts such as: Aikido, karate, Tai Chi etc.

Martial arts that tries to sell you "dirty fighting" etc. doesen't work well, because they can't train them in a realistic full contact setting...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast