Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discuss About Self-Defense page 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve2206 View Post
    I just wanted to add - I trained under Sensei Enoida years ago (8th dan Jap fella) and also a 5th dan and 3rd dan sensei years later. And I just wanted to correct some of the points made above.

All karate by responsible sensei is taught initially as non-contact. You learn to kick or punch to within a couple of millimeters of your opponent.

When you have reached a certain level of competence, you go on to full contact but without full impact. This takes practice and discipline.

Your child will not be harmed. He or she will learn lifelong skills which will never be forgotten, eg how to crush a windpipe or break a leg and so on. Sounds gruesome but if someone was unable to get away from danger, then at least there is a last resort.
    Claims of deadly techniques like windpipe crush and leg break that are never trained against resisting opponents should be regarded with the same level of skepticism as unicorns and tooth fairies.

If you want to learn to break someone's leg, you should take up Sambo, Catch Wrestling, or BJJ.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Any of the full contact sparring martial arts are good. Judo, wrestling, BJJ, boxing, Muay Thai, etc.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    It's not only about find some "sensei" to teach you "authentic martial arts", what really matters is doing full contact sparring for years against good training partners...
    Oh and this.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Disarmed combat martial arts are fine, but make sure you also teach them safe gun handling (The 4 Rules) and marksmanship as soon as they are responsible enough. Kids face a size disadvantage compared to adults and expecting them to defend themselves without tools is not realistic.

The discipline involved in shooting can have positive fitness effects as well.
    Last edited by Him; 03-14-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Parkour. 'Nuff said.

amerikick is offline Junior Member
    Hello All,

Thank you so much for sharing your thought.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    The first 3 techniques of self defence are "Scream loud, run fast, hide well". And I'm only half joking. I am not a screamer by nature, I had to learn it. Its fun, its relaxing - go out, relax and scream as loud and as long as possible, don't care who hears and what they may think (whatever that psychological phenomena is called, but nobody ever called police). Its useful if you have to call kids for lunch and they are kilometres away playing in the dunes. Now in dangerous situations I am the one who starts (kind of give the signal for screaming) and then join in the natural talents of the family - my mom or my daughter. Their sound is so near to ultrasound that attacking dogs change their mind and run away. Helps with atacking humans as well, somehow they don't like any kind of resistance, however slight.
    Since I was 14 I have practised several different martial arts, depending on availability: karate, kug-fu, taekwondo, aikido. Kung-fu I liked the best, also the body forms I got from that. At first karate was illegal in the USSR, we had to hide the fact, not talk about it and there were no kimonos or belts. Sensei was a surgeon by profession and an ex-marine (soviet army). When I see what goes as karate now, I think probably it wasn't quite karate that was taught in our group. But it has proven effective even years after - the movements are so deep in subconscious mind that my body acts before analysing mind starts to interfere. On the positive side I have come out as a winner of bad situations but as the negative - afterwards I realise that I am too old for that, my joints hurt for very long time. Just don't tell it to anybody except my doctor. I'm a woman and I can drive most men up the tree as long as they don't have firearms. Also don't tell it around, nice men like to be the protective ones and I like nice men. Luxembourg here is pretty safe and I don't walk in the (small) bad areas, but back in my country you can never know, there is no clear division between good and bad area. And you don't have to break legs, a handful of sand or ground pepper in the eyes gives you plenty of time to get away safe.
    For succesful self defense its not just a few movements and strength. Its millions of automated movements and the strength will come along, you can't learn all that without becoming stronger. My children did learn some taekwondo, now they say it was useful. Although I'm the only one in the family who is really into it, they also like and practice other sports - archery, horseriding, swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Krav maga. What better than a modern battlefield tested combat art?
    Can you please give some good links about it?

Calidris is offline Junior Member
    SeaHorse - my kung fu used to be strong but as I get older I am relying more on my Google Fu! Here is a link I found to krav maga in Lux. Sorry, I dont speak French but there seemed to be a few things on Google. Hope it helps.

http://www.kickyoufit.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
    SeaHorse - my kung fu used to be strong but as I get older I am relying more on my Google Fu! Here is a link I found to krav maga in Lux. Sorry, I dont speak French but there seemed to be a few things on Google. Hope it helps.

http://www.kickyoufit.com/
    Thank you! Google Fu is always a relaible ally! I thought maybe you have some sites that you particularly like. There is a new krav maga place opened in our local petrol station - the very last location you may dream to house a sports hall in! On the 1st floor they have lots of space. I think I may check it out some time after I get my creaky hip in place again. Hopefully. Had to stop aikido because it takes an hour to get up if I get on my knees.
    I don't speak French either. Nor German or Luxembourgish (well, that a little bit).... I know I'm pretty dumb in this aspect. But I can read them with Google!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast