Thread: Salt? page

Little Women is offline Member

Salt?

Primal Fuel
    It's been around for ages, and does not go against the big no-nos, but I haven't seen much written about it. I've never been sensitive to too much of it, though if I get too little I am light-headed upon standing.

What do you all do about salt?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The ONLY problem with salt is that it raises your blood pressure. So if you don't have high blood pressure, you do not need to restrict your salt intake.

I personally never used to salt anything pre-primal. But when I cut out bread suddenly I found myself ravenous for it and have in on basically everything that's not bacon. Pink salt is best, since man does not live on sodium alone.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    If you eat pretty strict paleo your sodium intake should drop drastically. I plugged my food into a food calculator to check sodium just out of curiosity... I was at about 600mg for the day (and I even had some cheese that day I think). Point being - you won't get nearly as much "background" sodium as you do eating conventionally since the foods you eat won't have salt unless you add it (vs breads, condiments, snacky foods etc which all have salt added already). So, salt your foods if you'd like too

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If we're talking about sodium, I don't watch my intake at all. I love my kimchi abs have been known to consume tablespoons of miso daily in my soups and for cooking. I also liberally salt my smoked meat and braise before eating. No fear here.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    If you are light-headed upon standing, you are not getting enough naturally occurring sodium to maintain your blood pressure or possibly drinking too much water and flushing out too many minerals. I found this to be the case when I did the Fat Flush protocol which is very low salt and a lot of "cran-water". I could not always register a blood pressure on my meter and started blacking out while doing yoga. I was under the care of a cardiologist at the time and his nurse, who seemed very knowledgeable, said that I was eating less salt than their patients who were on a low/no salt diet, and I definitely needed more salt. I now know that I was having adrenal issues that were aggravated by being too low carb. She did note my excellent blood work and acknowledged that it could be attributed to dropping most of the unhealthy carbs. Geez, wish I had known about primal then!

Anyway, sea salt your food to taste and you should be fine. I really like the pink Himalayan salt but any good quality sea salt will do. With orthostatic hypotension, it's good to have a salty breakfast, so I salt the heck out of my morning eggs.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I agree that you don't have to worry about your sodium intake (in the sense of worrying about whether you're getting too much). I have naturally low blood pressure (100/60) and although I've always preferred sweet over salty, I never shy away from using salt in cooking. I only rarely get dizzy spells, usually only when I'm getting sick (which, thanks to Primal, hasn't happened in years).

Coffee also helps boost blood pressure if you're on the low end.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    It's pretty simple:

If you have high blood pressure, you need to look after your sodium intake and keep it as low as you can... especially if you have other health issues like diabetes, obesity, etc.

If you have normal blood pressure, you don't have to worry about it. Just don't go nuts.

If you have normal-to-low blood pressure, eat up! My blood pressure is usually anywhere from 80/55 to 100/60. (Once it was so low that I was denied donating blood!) Though I've never fainted, I get dizzy spells at least every other day. If I don't eat big enough meals, my blood pressure stays too low and I can get shakes and headaches. I don't track my sodium intake anymore, but back when I was losing weight the CW way (low-calorie, low-fat, high-carb) I'd keep my sodium intake to under 1500mg daily due to the fear put in me about my high cholesterol predisposing me to heart disease. As a result, my dizzy spells got more frequent and my headaches more intense. As I mentioned, I still get headaches and dizzy spells now, but they're not nearly as bad or as often as they used to be now that I'm not scared of salt!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

kitoi is offline Senior Member