Thread: Article: Placebo effect getting stronger page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Article: Placebo effect getting stronger

Primal Fuel

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member
    That's really interesting - I remember reading somewhere (I think it was Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson) that in some traditions your body type is considered an expression of your internal temperament that can change over time or through having a life-changing or mystical experience. The human mind can do some pretty wacked-out stuff.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    DId you notice that pretty much ALL of the conditions mentioned in the WIRED article had significant psychological elements - depression, anxiety, psychiatric disorders, even PMT - even Crohn's isn't 100% physiological as the emotions have a powerful effect on gut chemistry - I'm not talking 'thinking you feel bad' but real physical effects - blood flow, hormones and such - caused by your emotional status.

So really, it's the 'state the bleeding obvious' society of research going on there. The little sidebar - colored pills to 'wake you up' and 'calm you down'. Duh!

If they were talking about placebo effect working on malaria, measles, HIV, tuberculosis... then that's worth reporting.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Eh, placebo pills/placebo interventions aren't really free. The cost is either believing in something that isn't true, or living in a society in which doctors are free to give you placebo pills without telling you.

Shine is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    If they were talking about placebo effect working on malaria, measles, HIV, tuberculosis... then that's worth reporting.
    +1

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    My bet is that this has a lot to do with epigentics. The "gene expression" that Mark and Dr. Mercola are always talking about. Feeling good, thinking positively, and expectations of improvement can influence our genes to "turn on" disease-fighting and body-repairing functions. All of you people losing weight, spend a little time in meditation and then will yourself to burn fat. Your body just might listen!

Of course there is no replacement for a lot of real physiological elements, but there is definitely a mental factor. We can't turn on the gene expression for great nutrition or a vaccination.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!