Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Does anyone get told they must have an eating disorder?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    84

    Unhappy Does anyone get told they must have an eating disorder?

    I've been told by my family the following:

    - that eating an entire chicken is "binge eating".
    - that I should eat grains because they are carbs, and that avoiding them is a bad way of thinking.

    Of course I find this hilarious, because I am eating healthy 9besides my 20%... cheat weekends when I'm with the bf or his family).

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    60
    My family, who don't (and won't) eat primal, watched me live with an eating disorder for 13 years. They know what it looks like, and primal looks nothing like an eating disorder. They're big cheerleaders.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljphalen View Post
    My family, who don't (and won't) eat primal, watched me live with an eating disorder for 13 years. They know what it looks like, and primal looks nothing like an eating disorder. They're big cheerleaders.
    I also used to have an eating disorder (when I was 17)- basically when I was on the raw vegan diet. That diet made my weight drop badly. What I'm doing now, feeding my body, is nothing like what I did to myself before (even when I thought being a raw vegan was healthy... aghhh). My family is on SAD and committed to it though. They think anyone who eats differently has an ED, it seems...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I think it's awful that you actually did suffer from an eating disorder and your family is still accusing you of showing unhealthy habits when you are confident that you're doing right for your body. I know that when I was recovering and gaining weight back, nobody ever told me that they thought the way I was eating was wrong, harmful, or "binging" -- even when I consumed 3500+ in a day. My family and loved ones were just happy to see me eating something. I feel that your family, too, should recognize that you're nourishing yourself and be more positive and supportive toward your new (actually) healthy habits.
    You'd think they'd be more supportive, but no... It's been years since my ED (I'm 24 now, I regained the weight when I was 19, after going vegan), and they think that the three-years I was a strict gluten-free vegan were healthier for me than me being Paleo... I have lost weight on Paleo, but I'm also a ton more muscular than I was as a vegan, and I am actively trying to regain weight- about 5 pounds, nothing major.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Posts
    11
    amen! my family are thrilled to see me chowing down a chicken carcus or eating bacon for breakfast, rather than the fat-free ricecakes and oatmeal that I used to....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    I get told that all the time.

    All.

    The.

    FRIGGIN'.

    TIME.

    By people three times my size who haven't been to the gym or lifted anything heavier than a fork to their mouths in over ten years or who sit on their asses 98% of the time... When you realize that, you realize how patently ridiculous it is. It's annoying, yes, but when you make this realization you begin to understand that it's pointless paying them any mind.

    Just keep on doing what you're doing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I get told that all the time.

    All.

    The.

    FRIGGIN'.

    TIME.

    By people three times my size who haven't been to the gym or lifted anything heavier than a fork to their mouths in over ten years or who sit on their asses 98% of the time... When you realize that, you realize how patently ridiculous it is. It's annoying, yes, but when you make this realization you begin to understand that it's pointless paying them any mind.

    Just keep on doing what you're doing.
    Thank you! I really need encouragement to not let them get to me right now!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by amber_maiden View Post
    Thank you! I really need encouragement to not let them get to me right now!
    I eat only once a day a-la Warrior Diet style I guess. So you can imagine how much I get flack from the "OMG eat six times a day at LEAST" crowd and I haven't let it get to me.

    When you make the connection that you're healthier than everyone who is giving you advice to begin with, then you start to think "if my results don't speak for themselves, then they can't be helped." And you stat NOT wanting theirs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,584
    eating an entire chicken is a rite of passage

    and i didn't know bread was the only source of carbs

    so bite off a chunk of meat and garble-yell 'GTFO'
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    so bite off a chunk of meat and garble-yell 'GTFO'

    LOL. Love it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •