Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone get told they must have an eating disorder? page 4

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Not ED, but they comment on the amount of red meat and offal I eat. They worry about high cholesterol and heart disease. The hardest part is they think I'm depriving and passing on weird food habits to my daughter because I don't let her eat candy, and minimize grains except white rice and occasional bread.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I think guys get less flak on this. I mean it's pretty rough to tell a guy they have an eating disorder, but it seems women's bodies are fair game. Sucks.
    Is it fair to say though that guys have fewer eating disorders?

I mean, we complain about 'boy racers' around here, even when some of the drivers are 'girl racers'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    For the most part, I don't get any crap from anyone. My Mom, son and daughter are all supportive, even though they all still eat SAD for the most part. They've seen how sick I was when I was still eating gluten, dairy and all the processed foods.

Although I haven't had anyone compare it to an ED, I have had a number of "friends" who no longer invite me out for a meal, or even a movie. Seems it's just too difficult to go to the places they want to go to if I am with them. (It makes them feel uncomfortable is what I was told)
    The last time I went with one "friend" I had coffee while several of them ate their SAD meals and I was told that I ruined the dinner because I chose not to eat things that would have me in the ER because of the massive amounts of gluten and high reactive allergen pseudo foods they were eating. It's funny, I thought that evening went well too ... everyone was visiting and my sin was not eating garbage.
    I had another "friend" who would go into a diatribe about how white sugar is a good food, that it is fine to eat, even healthy to eat. REALLY ? Holy shit ....

It was an eye opener for me. I get judged a lot because I am a mixed blood Native, I get judged because my eyes are amber/orange (not normal according to some morons) and I get judged because I eat as we are meant to eat, as my Ancestors ate ... pure paleo/primal. LOL ... I've even been judged by a friend who does eat primal because I don't eat potatoes and rice, despite the fact that I am allergic to all nightshades and I don't eat any grains now, or any of the fake gluten free things that are so prevalent in the stores now. That friend told me I am toooooo primal. Yeah, whatever. He sure doesn't mind if I offer fresh meat though ! LOL

I will admit it hurt a little a first to know how some people felt about me, but I got over that pretty damn quick.
    Do I care now ?.... HELLLLLLLLL NO.
    I eat this way for my health, for my sanity, for my connection to my Ancestors ... not to please anyone else.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    I think guys get less flak on this. I mean it's pretty rough to tell a guy they have an eating disorder, but it seems women's bodies are fair game. Sucks.
    So true. Our society treats a woman's body as public property.

Also, the prevailing attitude is still that eating disorders are only a problem for girls. Men and older/adult women have a really hard time getting people to take them seriously if and when they decide to get help.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Seriously. Truth.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    I have had a number of "friends" who no longer invite me out for a meal, or even a movie. Seems it's just too difficult to go to the places they want to go to if I am with them. (It makes them feel uncomfortable is what I was told)
    The last time I went with one "friend" I had coffee while several of them ate their SAD meals and I was told that I ruined the dinner because I chose not to eat things that would have me in the ER because of the massive amounts of gluten and high reactive allergen pseudo foods they were eating. It's funny, I thought that evening went well too ... everyone was visiting and my sin was not eating garbage.
    So sorry you had this hurtful experience.

AvatarAbe is offline Junior Member
    Although I haven't had anyone compare it to an ED, I have had a number of "friends" who no longer invite me out for a meal, or even a movie. Seems it's just too difficult to go to the places they want to go to if I am with them. (It makes them feel uncomfortable is what I was told)
    Wow, that's rough

A couple of my friends make jokes about it, and invite me out to the Bread Factory or Olive Garden, but really, they've been okay with it. The worst I've gotten was that someone thinks I'm just doing this for the gluten-free fad. I could see that if I were the type of person who tended to do things because it's cool, but if anything, I'm known for my complete and utter lack of knowing what's cool in this world lol.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I have been told the opposite. Most people I've met thought I eat a lot. I guess they are just surprise I can stay thin and eat more than normal women.

Although i have had people tell me I'm crazy for following Paleo.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    For the most part, I don't get any crap from anyone. My Mom, son and daughter are all supportive, even though they all still eat SAD for the most part. They've seen how sick I was when I was still eating gluten, dairy and all the processed foods.

I had another "friend" who would go into a diatribe about how white sugar is a good food, that it is fine to eat, even healthy to eat. REALLY ? Holy shit ....

It was an eye opener for me. I get judged a lot because I am a mixed blood Native, I get judged because my eyes are amber/orange (not normal according to some morons) and I get judged because I eat as we are meant to eat, as my Ancestors ate ... pure paleo/primal. LOL ... I've even been judged by a friend who does eat primal because I don't eat potatoes and rice, despite the fact that I am allergic to all nightshades and I don't eat any grains now, or any of the fake gluten free things that are so prevalent in the stores now. That friend told me I am toooooo primal. Yeah, whatever. He sure doesn't mind if I offer fresh meat though ! LOL

I will admit it hurt a little a first to know how some people felt about me, but I got over that pretty damn quick.
    Do I care now ?.... HELLLLLLLLL NO.
    I eat this way for my health, for my sanity, for my connection to my Ancestors ... not to please anyone else.
    Good on you for making your choices, true friends will jibe you, but accept you for who you are and respect your choices.
    I like the amber I thing, maybe your eye colour has intensified and they feel your burning eyes are looking into their true selves.

On another front, no chance of just ordering a small plain salad without dressing, just for social lubrication.

I just get the same stuff as most, being of european blood, it's usually just how can you live without bread, it's the staff of life.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    The funniest one for me was the time that Choco tried to tell me that eating VLC was by definition "disordered eating".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast