Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone get told they must have an eating disorder? page 3

oszy13 is offline Junior Member
    Yep, I've gotten that a few times. Fortunately for some reason or the other I tend to be surrounded by more open minded people and I've even been successful at having my mom cut down on her consumption of bread and wheat products.

The most worrying things so far in my life is that my GF eats copious amounts of wheat, said she tried the gluten free challenge for TWO WHOLE WEEKS and didn't see a difference, yet she is lethargic, always sick, sleeps for 10-12 hours a day and gets mild to moderate acne.

I've tried to convince her to go gluten free again, though this time much longer. But since she is a vegetarian I suppose it would greatly reduce her options of what to eat.

I'm hoping one day wheat products will have warning labels liek a pack of cigarettes. A guy can dream can't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You might want to check out the Gnolls site. J Stanton did a great post called "Eat Like a Predator, Not Like Prey".
    Will do!!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Nobody has ever accused me of having an eating disorder. I get a raised eyebrow now and then over the quantity of meat I can put down, but not often.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

krsn89 is offline Member
    I've gotten those remarks a few times as well! Especially at work! I work with two ladies - coworker "A" who is "dieting", meaning: low-fat, low-calories, whole grains, killing herself with cardio and struggling to keep the weight off, eating Subway every day for lunch because it's "heathy". I've seen her yoyo from losing 10 lbs to gaining 15 back! I convinced coworker "B" to try Primal and she effortlessly lost 15 lbs in 2 months and still going down. I lost 25 lbs when I first started, even with no exercise, and she SAW this happen.

Coworker "A" STILL likes to lecture me every day about me skipping breakfast (and lunch) and tell me that my metabolism is going to slow down and I'm going to gain all my weight back, and to stop eating bacon and eggs every day etc etc and to look at this new 0% fat yogurt she found while I'm sitting there eating my full-fat Greek yogurt. Even with the success she sees in us, she will not let go of CW at this point and keeps trying to tell me I'm going to have a heart attack in the forseeable future. I keep trying to explain the whole concept of Primal/paleo to her but I've given up!

My mom thought I was absolutely nuts at first, and she was kind of scared because we have a family history of heart disease. She thought there was something severely wrong with me when I was snacking on a rotisserie chicken while watching a movie at home. She could not wrap her head around me eating eggs and bacon every day. She's been a little more open as time goes on and is willing to listen when I explain things to her and while she still eats primarily SAD, she's tapered off her wheat consumption quite a bit compared to before.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    I actually had two very well meaning friends stage an intervention for me after I had been primal for a few months. I hadn't really told anyone what I was doing, so all they saw was me eating the same or less often (with IF), not changing my exercise habits, and losing weight. I'm still in a demographic where EDs are common, so I can sort of see why given the evidence, they were concerned. It was sweet that they were worried but awkward to explain. I feel like it took them a while after my weight had stabilized for them to be totally reassured.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

macha10 is offline Junior Member
    I've never specifically been told I have an eating disorder, but my mother and grandmother don't seem to like what I am doing. I want to lose about 25 lbs more (I am female, 5'7' and 163 lbs) They think it's completely insane and that I am skinny enough. My grandmother especially is concerned, but yet she will give me shirts that are size 1X (I wear size Medium!) that are too small for her. So am I too thin, or am I large, Grandma?

Incindiary is offline Member
    I'm still quite new to this WOE, and I don't have a lot of weight to lose, so no one has expressed concerns about my health, yet.

What I have gotten though is the "Oh. You're all of sudden gluten intolerant?" with an eye roll, or the "Oh. You're jumping on that fad? You know it's been debunked, right?"

To both responses I've replied "No. I don't have Celiac's Disease, but I have noticed I FEEL so much better when I don't eat wheat or soy or sugar or processed foods in general. I have more energy, I sleep better, and I don't feel foggy and lethargic after I eat."

So far, that seems to have quieted the naysayers. I'm sure they still think this is just a fad and I'll give it up soon, but why do I care what they think? I feel better. That's the only affirmation I need.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Given the opportunity, America's entire medical community (with a few exceptions) would tell me that what I ate would kill me.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think guys get less flak on this. I mean it's pretty rough to tell a guy they have an eating disorder, but it seems women's bodies are fair game. Sucks.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I think guys get less flak on this. I mean it's pretty rough to tell a guy they have an eating disorder, but it seems women's bodies are fair game. Sucks.
    You are SO right...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast