Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone get told they must have an eating disorder? page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've gotta say.... I have never been confronted about my diet by anyone ever in my life. I guess I'm in the minority around here though, cause there are lots of people that have this issue it seems.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    It is actually one of my kids that bugs me the most. Today she sent me "the best coconut milk ever, only 3.5% fat at 40 cals." She just can't fathom me wanting highest fat possible. She is gluten,egg and dairy free, but does it SAD. So lots of GF store bought stuff, low fat and meat. She drove me crazy staying with her last year.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    It is actually one of my kids that bugs me the most. Today she sent me "the best coconut milk ever, only 3.5% fat at 40 cals." She just can't fathom me wanting highest fat possible. She is gluten,egg and dairy free, but does it SAD. So lots of GF store bought stuff, low fat and meat. She drove me crazy staying with her last year.
    agh. I was like you're daughter a year ago- gluten-free vegan... ate store bought GF cereals, over-priced garbage like almond ice cream from the health food stores... over processed crap- just as bad as SAD food.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    LOL, it's hilarious to me that someone would say eating a chicken is binge eating because I have binge eating disorder and the only time I've ever binged on meat is when it just happened to have a pizza underneath it, and that's pretty universal among binge eaters. There is your occasional person (usually male) who'll talk about a chicken wing binge, but for everyone binges are pretty much always carb heavy.

And the thing about not eating grains being an unhealthy way of thinking...yeah, I think everyone who's ever tried Paleo, Primal, Atkins, or just low-carb in general has heard that one. There's even members here who often say it's unhealthy to eliminate an entire food group.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I think it's awful that you actually did suffer from an eating disorder and your family is still accusing you of showing unhealthy habits when you are confident that you're doing right for your body. I know that when I was recovering and gaining weight back, nobody ever told me that they thought the way I was eating was wrong, harmful, or "binging" -- even when I consumed 3500+ in a day. My family and loved ones were just happy to see me eating something. I feel that your family, too, should recognize that you're nourishing yourself and be more positive and supportive toward your new (actually) healthy habits.
    You'd think they'd be more supportive, but no... It's been years since my ED (I'm 24 now, I regained the weight when I was 19, after going vegan), and they think that the three-years I was a strict gluten-free vegan were healthier for me than me being Paleo... I have lost weight on Paleo, but I'm also a ton more muscular than I was as a vegan, and I am actively trying to regain weight- about 5 pounds, nothing major.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    One response: "Yes, well that's your opinion. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

I support your right to eat entire chickens. Not only that, but if you ever decide to eat an entire goat, I'll drive up and help you record it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    Eating disorder? No. But when I lost 45lbs of bf in 4 months eating butter and bacon and beef, a few asked me if I had cancer. "There's no way you can lost weight that fast" they'd say. "You're gonna have a heart attack" they whined. What do you mean you don't eat bread or pasta? What DO you eat then?!"

Well, 3 years later, I'm 40, closing in on 10% body fat and can run and lift circles around any of them. Let them say whatever they want, you'll have the last laugh.

Megatron is offline Member
    Yes. It's hard to convince people this isn't a part of my ED or some 'crazy diet.' I guess just prove them wrong?

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, I tend to get that occasionally because of the only eating once a day thing. People see me "skip" meals think I'm starving myself and then people who see me down a whole porterhouse steak plus soup salad and veggies think I'm "binging". It's silly.

I do understand that people are concerned. My sister did have a serious case of binge/purge ED back in the day but yes, lazy overweight people calling my successful way of eating "disordered" sometimes does strike me as a cop out so they can feel good about their next pastry.

You might want to check out the Gnolls site. J Stanton did a great post called "Eat Like a Predator, Not Like Prey".

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nope. I am tiny tiny and in the past was even smaller. I was regularly 90 pounds for most of college and once got down to 85. Nobody ever mentioned my weight. Not my doctor, not strangers, not my friends or family, and it continues to this day.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast