Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this Coconut Milk Ice Cream? page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Thoughts on this Coconut Milk Ice Cream?

Shop Now
    So Delicious Dairy Free | Coconut Milk Frozen Desserts | No Sugar Added Chocolate

I saw it at Whole Foods but didn't pick it up because I wanted to google some of the ingredients before buying it... the Gum Arabic in the ingredients seems to be mostly fiber judging by the sources I've read. I eat stevia/erythritol and don't have any bad reactions to it. So what are peoples' thoughts on this? If not totally primal, is it at least benign?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, its fairly benign. My kids like it. We aren't hard core, but we replace some of our dairy with products like this.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    If you are trying to lose weight I wouldn't go for it because even though its probably benign, it will be easy to overeat. Purists will probably tell you not to touch it with a ten foot pole. Also, you can get better (less odd ingredients) coconut milk ice cream if you make it at home. Try these Homemade coconut milk ice cream recipes roasted banana is my favorite. Chocolate is the tastiest for the least work though.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I've tried a couple of flavors of this (before Primal) and they're actually really good (taste wise), and oddly I find that just a small serving is very satisfying. I don't think I could eat it at the present time without setting off cravings though, but eventually I will be able to have a little now and again.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Snouthern is offline Junior Member
    I prefer my own home-made ice cream, that's how I make it (very simple) and there are other coconut milk ice cream recipes at this page
    1 can of full fat coconut milk
    3 frozen bananas
    1 tbsp arrowroot powder
    1 tbsp vanilla extract
    Combine base ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. pour mixture into ice cream machine and turn on until ice cream is formed
    Last edited by Snouthern; 08-19-2013 at 06:57 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Well, their website is formatted wrong and none of the links seem to be working, but at the bottom there is some weird string that says:

"ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), ORGANIC AGAVE SYRUP, CHICORY ROOT EXTRACT, ORGANIC DRIED COCONUT, CAROB BEAN GUM, GUAR GUM, NATURAL FLAVOR."

Two gums and agave. I wouldn't eat it solely based on the agave syrup. Honestly, plain old Breyers vanilla is superior to this, anything from Haagen Dazs Five is superior, plain old Ben & Jerry's vanilla is superior, Trader Joe's French Vanilla is superior, the Turkey Hill black label "All Natural" stuff is superior...this isn't horrible, but with so many other choices that taste better (since they're actually dairy), are cheaper and even more readily available, I don't see the point in purchasing this.

That being said, if you want ice cream, I can't stress enough how you should buy an ice cream maker. It is the absolute best investment I've ever made in the kitchen aside from my cast iron cookware. You can truly make HEALTHY ice cream, and I strongly recommend it. Instead of spending $4 for a lousy pint of ice cream, invest in this ice cream maker:

Amazon.com: Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker: Kitchen & Dining

And these storage containers in the half gallon size:

Arrow Plastic 1-Quart Freezer Containers, 3-Pack: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

This is exactly what I have at home and they work wonderfully in unison. I believe the containers are BPA-free, though it shouldn't matter because they're going in the freezer and BPA seems to only be an issue when heated.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Alexis47 is offline Member
    Oh geez. If you have any overeating or binging tendencies, don't get this. When I was vegan I used to buy one every two weeks with the intention of eating it throughout that period. Gone the day after it was bought.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, the no sugar added ones use vegetable glycerine, a sugar alcohol, so be wary of that.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This is exactly what I have at home and they work wonderfully in unison.
    Any favorite recipes to share?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    Any favorite recipes to share?
    I'm just going to copy and paste this from somewhere I wrote this.

Basic vanilla ice cream. Sam Fuller

2 cups heavy cream (1 cup reserved)
    2 cups whole milk (1 cup and 1/4 cup reserved)
    1 cup kefir
    8 extra large egg yolks (or 9 large)
    1 whole vanilla bean
    1 packet unflavored gelatin (next to the Jello, usually Knox brand)
    8 Rounded Tablespoons DARK brown sugar (1/2 cup), or to taste
    2 Tablespoons spiced rum (I like Sailor Jerry)
    4 Tablespoons plain 80 proof vodka

1.) In a small bowl, sprinkle 1 packet of gelatin over 1/4 cup cold whole milk. Set aside to dissolve. Milk MUST be COLD.

2.) In a medium-sized saucepot, heat 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup whole milk over medium-low heat until steaming. Stir infrequently to keep milk from burning on the bottom.

3.) In a heatproof mixing bowl, whisk 8 egg yolks until combined. Slowly pour the hot milk/cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly and about 1/4 cup at a time. IF YOU POUR THE HOT MILK INTO THE EGGS TOO FAST YOU WILL SCRAMBLE THEM! It is crucial you do it in a slow and steady stream, a little at a time, and whisking quickly to keep them from scrambled. Once the hot milk/cream is fully incorporated into the eggs, pour in 1 cup of cold milk to kill the heat. Add your (now soft) gelatin and whisk to combine.

4.) Scrub the saucepot you heated the milk/cream in to remove the milk deposits from the bottom. Dry the pot. Return to medium-low heat and pour in the milk/cream/gelatin mixture (which I will now refer to as custard). Cut your vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape the paste out of the bean and into the custard mixture. Throw the whole pod in there.

5.) Add the brown sugar. Allow the mixture to slowly cook, stirring occasionally, until tiny bubbled form around the edges and the custard thickens til it coats the back of a metal spoon. Make sure 100% of the geltain melted and there are no lumps anywhere. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

6.) Once at room temp, pull out the vanilla bean and squeeze it to get all the goodness out and into the custard. Add 1 cup of kefir, whisk. Cover and place in fridge overnight or until completely chilled.

7.) The next day, the gelatin will have completley set this into a pudding. With an electric hand mixture, whip it until completely smooth. Mix in rum and vodka. This will help keep it from freezing into a brick.

8.) In a separate bowl, whip the remaining 1 cup heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold it into the custard with a spatula. Don't overmix - you want some air left in there.

9.) Scrape the mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.

10.) Transfer to a container and freeze til set.

NOTES: You can sub 1 cup of whole milk for the kefir but I prefer the light tang the kefir leaves. It adds depth. If you do not have vanilla beans, you can use 1 tablespoon REAL vanilla extract, but seriously, Amazon sells vanilla beans for around $25 for half a pound. They will last a very long time and you can make your own homemade extract out of cheap vodka, too. Sugar is also variable. Taste. I don't like very sweet ice cream. Adjust accordingly. THIS RECIPE WILL NOT FIT IN A 1.5 QUART ICE CREAM MAKER! YOU MUST HAVE A 2 QUART!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I think they just changed the recipe used to have cane sugar now switched to Agave. I used to get this one rather than the Coconut Bliss for that reason. Now I can't have either, Pretty sure the agave doesn't agree with me. I have made an amazing rum raisin one though didn't do it again as I ate it way too fast.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast