Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugs.....great source of Protein page

Primalnight is offline Junior Member

Bugs.....great source of Protein

Primal Fuel
    So I've been living the primal lifestyle for about 5 years and have been curious about eating bugs as a source of protein. It's common practice in Asia but in North America it's not the social norm. Has anybody eaten bugs and if so, did you like it? Does anyone know how I can safely purchase human grade bugs to eat? (that might be the strangest question I've ever asked lol)

Let me know

Thx

Primalnight aka Rick

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I call lobsters "bugs". Does that count?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think there are people who eat cicadas. I understand the Chinese call them "land shrimp".

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Bugs are ok. Fun snacks, but I couldn't make a meal out of them. It takes so many!

I've only found bugs for human consumption at the local Asian market. (Chinese water beetles, and they're frozen, and expensive.)

If I'm cutting firewood I'll enjoy a few termites, or if I happen across some unfortunate ants in the kitchen. I used to raise mealworms for food purposes. Incredibly easy (instructions on my blog) and pretty inexpensive, but you would need huge vats to get a quantity worth making meals out of, and they would take forever to pick. BUT, with that said, a tasty snack.

For what it's worth, if you want bugs for dinner, the ones from the ocean are as cheap and plentiful as you can get in the States.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Noooooo.... You can have mine

BTW, there are many bedbugs in New York and I am sure you can get them for free. I don't know whether they are human grade or not.
    Last edited by anna5; 03-11-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Apparently woodlice taste like shrimp when cooked.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    DH says for you all to hush this bug eating talk... Your giving me ideas!
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinedan2 View Post
    Protein can help you lose weight and keep your belly full. But it's important to eat the right kind. Find out which proteins are healthy ones.
    Well, this is only one approach. Personally, I am not just an eating machine. I happen to enjoy enjoying food.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Any reason for your bug eating desire? Do they provide a secret micronutrient that none of us have heard of before?
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mealworms may not be certified as "human grade", but they're safe and cheaper than "human grade" options. The next move, of course, is to trap woodlice, cockroaches, snails...etc and feed them on "human friendly" foods for a few weeks, to ensure any toxins leave their system (pine wood for woodlice, grains and meat for roaches, parsley for snails...etc). Then: cook up and eat.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast