Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gall Stones page

Owen is offline Senior Member

Gall Stones

Shop Now
    Hi - been primal since November and it's had a massive effect on my life and also I am happy to say my parents' lives - they seem to be following me in this journey to a large extent, which is great also. My mom has gall stones and her doctors wanted to remove her gall bladder (she's 57) and she's now hoping that the right dietary changes will to some extent reverse the problem without this kind of medical lunacy - removing the gall bladder...??? Has anyone here had gall stones and are there any signs you know of that the avoidance of grains/sugar/dairy/seed oils can help this problem?

Thanks all and happy Grokking...

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I had undiagnosed gall stones. Some idiot doctor thought it was just constipation. So about 5 months later I had my gall bladder removed in an emergency operation. I live comfortably without it and am very happy on the Primal diet even though it's high in fats.

Here, when gall stones are found, they should be removed by an operation. When that is done you typically do not loose the entire gall bladder.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I have no gall bladder had it removed in a emergency situation as well. I have no ill effects of not having one. However, I have done a little research and it is appearing gall bladder problems are a result of wheat and gluten intolerance. Definitely give Primal a try, stay really dedicated to being off gluten and grains. Read the book Wheat Belly, it may give you some insight too.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Yes, I had undiagnosed gall stones. Some idiot doctor thought it was just constipation. So about 5 months later I had my gall bladder removed in an emergency operation. I live comfortably without it and am very happy on the Primal diet even though it's high in fats.

Here, when gall stones are found, they should be removed by an operation. When that is done you typically do not loose the entire gall bladder.
    Here they want to rip the whole gall bladder out when stones are found.
    I had some just before going back to primal, and I used a olive oil/lemon juice flush to get the stones out. Since then have had no pain. Have not yet had another ultrasound, but due to no more pain I don't see the point. This was nearly 6 months ago now.
    If you google you will find various sites about that flush. You would need to decide if its right for you before trying though.
    There was no way I was getting my gall bladder out.

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member
    because of pain and an ultrasound I became aware of the fact that I have many gallstones. Since going primal (18 months) I have had only one incident of a sharp pain that lasted only about 45 minutes. this while doing the contrary to medical opinion (go low on fat), I eat a lot of fat. I would like to try a flush someday.
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I had, what I believed to be gall bladder issues, on my first primal venture (lots of nausea and upper right quadrant pain). What helped me tremendously was to have some Bragg's apple cider vinegar in water. She could try that; it has lots of health benefits. If she can't stand it in water, she could put it in a little apple juice.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    The Liver is the source of the distress.

Attention to the liver is more important.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    It is not 'lunacy' to remove the gall bladder of someone with stones because that is a relatively benign procedure--and gall bladder complications can be severe and potentially life threatening.

Several years ago, I wound up being taken by ambulance to a hospital ER because I collapsed in a public building. After a day of tests, doctors speculated that I passed a tiny gall stone which, as it exited, 'tipped' my pancreas--resulting in pancreatitis. They decided to remove the gall bladder because pancreatitis is truly serious, but the scans showed no other stones--and they could not remove an organ that looked healthy.

My gastro wants me now (3 years later) to have it removed, since a subsequent scan showed one tiny stone (and he can justify it medically because of my past pancreatitis) , but I'm not in favor of elective procedures simply to possibly prevent something that may never, ever occur. However, if I had multiple stones, I'd have no problem opting for surgery.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Had mine out in 2010. I seem to have called the stones down on me by suddenly going into the CA's low fat approach, but it could be coincidental.

No complications, really, except the scar between my ribs itches sometimes and I swear it has reduced my ability to do sit ups.

M.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Ignoring gallstones can be potentially fatal. I used to think that gallstones were no big deal until I met someone that had a bunch of gallstones, of which 1 occluded the common bile duct and the bile backed up and caused pancreatitis. Because of the anatomy of this person, the inflamation from the pancreatitis caused a blood clot to form in the splenic vein, which caused the spleen to enlarge and become septic. Eventually the spleen was removed and the patient improved, but the ordeal required over 6 months of hospitalization for the recovery.

Don't play games with gallstones.... it could kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast