Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gall Stones page 2

meeshar is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with many of the replies, gallstones can get lodged in ducts and cause life threatening complications. I had mine removed after losing a huge amount of weight in a short amount of time, which commonly results in gallstones. I'm not sure if a change of diet would really help, as the stones are usually made out of cholesterol--so the problem is already there, and came from her previous diet. If my hunch is correct, PUFA's are likely to blame. I just did a little bit of digging and found this: The effect of polyunsaturated fats on bile acid m... [Metabolism. 1978] - PubMed - NCBI

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Stones can still form without the gallbladder organ. Pain does not always resolve after gallbladder removal.

Address the source of the problem to achieve a genuine solution.

With no gallbladder and with a high fat diet, it may be necessary to add ox bile + bile salts as nutritional aids for digestion.

"Gall Bladder Removal

According to Dr. James Howenstine, in his column on NewsWithViews.com, if a patient undergoes cholecystectomy, or surgical removal of the gallbladder, then the patient no longer has bile secreted into the digestive tract. The consequences of this are that toxins normally broken down by the bile and eliminated from the body as waste end up being stored in the body's fat. These toxins can cause inflammation, infection and cancer."

"Bile Salts as a Nutritional Supplement

For patients wishing to supplement their daily nutrition with bile salts, freeze-dried ox bile is readily available at health food stores and online sources."

Read more

More here and here.

meeshar is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Stones can still form without the gallbladder organ. Pain does not always resolve after gallbladder removal.

Address the source of the problem to achieve a genuine solution.

With no gallbladder and with a high fat diet, it may be necessary to add ox bile + bile salts as nutritional aids for digestion.
    Interesting, though I'm not the OP thanks for the links. I picked up some ox bile recently as a supplement on the recommendation of someone else who is gallbladder-less. It makes sense though--if you read the study I linked, the choleolithasis was caused by the PUFA safflower oil not stimulating an increase in bile production, whereas the monkeys fed butter and coconut oil did have increased bile production. So by eliminating those bad fats with a Primal diet, theoretically the increased bile production could dissolve existing gallstones. My worry though is the potential in the meantime for one of those stones to get lodged and cause serious complications, as it's been shown that it takes a long time to dissolve stones through bile salts/Actigall (though with a diet that stimulates endogenous bile production, maybe not so long?). Interesting stuff that I wish I'd known before I had mine removed. I did ask for Actigall after my weight loss surgery to prevent stones (as I did know that over 30% of bypass patients ended up developing gallstones due to the rapid weight loss) but he refused, saying my GB looked great when he performed the surgery. Sure enough, just a few months later I needed it removed. If I had only known about ox bile back then, maybe I'd still have it.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Thanks- so this could mean that using the coconut oil and butter will promote bile production and possibly reduce the gallstones which is good. The study hat was posted above with the monkeys seems to indicate that these good oils will actually reduce the levels of cholesterol in the bile therefore reduce the gallstones - another reason to avoid PUFA's.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I had my gall bladder removed pre-primal. The attacks are extremely painful and the risks mentioned above should be noted.

One thing I wish I knew pre-removal: there's a lot of anecdotal evidence of patients developing IBS after removal, myself included. My doctors insisted there would be no ramifications of gall bladder removal. Some said I may need to eat a low-fat diet afterwards to avoid diarrhea. But no matter what I ate, I had multiple episodes per week of cramping diarrhea for about two years after removal. Then it morphed into alternating IBS, meaning I pretty much always either had constipation or diarrhea. A normal bowel movement become a banner occasion.

Primal, probiotics, and soluble fiber or magnesium as needed has really helped with the symptoms. But I learned after the fact that I was hardly the only person this happened to. I probably would have had the operation anyway, but it would have been nice to have known this was a possible effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12