Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bigger Picture Journal <3eig<3 page

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member

The Bigger Picture Journal <3eig<3

Primal Fuel
    I've been primal for about a year now and its been really great. I've learned a lot but I still have a lot more to learn. I have been focusing on my diet to get healthy most my life, and I think I've got it down pretty good these days. I dont sweat it too much anymore and I stay at a healthy weight. What I dont do as well is some of the other key primal "rules". I eat plenty of plants and animals, avoid eating poisonous things, I move around a a slow pace, lift heavy things and avoid trauma. I also get enough sun when there is sun to get But I don't play enough, run fast sometimes, or get enough sleep. I'm going to make it my goal to make these things a habit by summer (First week of May).

Specific Goals;
    1. GO TO BED AT A REASONABLE HOUR! Before 10pm is probably the best I can do at the moment as I have a late night class unfortunately.

2. Sprint once a week. This is a tough one. Did I mention I hate cardio? I hate cardio.

3. RELAX! I am a worrier. I always have been. I don't want to be that anymore. This goal is going to be hard to measure, but I think what Ill do is every time I start freaking out about something I'm going to do one of the stress relievers in Marks articles (he has several). Also, I want to do a once a week yoga class that's free at the uni midweek to hopefully kill some stress. Lastly, I think one of the reasons I stress is because I don't play. So I want to spend one day a week where there is NO SCHOOL WORK and I do something I love all day (hike, snowboard, hang out with friends, etc).

4. Marks unplug challenge. He wrote that article a WHILE ago but I'm throwing this one in because I think its part of why I don't go to sleep and don't relax or play enough. No electronics after 7pm, with the exception of emergency homework stuff, but I hope I can plan ahead enough that I don't need to do my homework late at night.

Also, not really a goal but I'll log work outs and food for funzies!
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

eig
    So food today;

BF-2 scrambled eggs with sausage, jalapeno peppers, green onions, and coffee
    snack- 1/2 tangelo, 2 cups of tea
    L- Onions and an ugly steak, cooked in tallow
    snack-2 carrots, 1/2 tomato, 1 avocado, 1/4 jalapeno, hot toddy (made with stevia)
    D-1/2 medium-ish sweet potato with coconut oil, 1 1/2 oven fried chicken thighs, 1/2 lb curried green beans

Not gunna lie, this is a ton of food for me. I've been sick and for some reason at has made me ravenous. No work out or exercise of any kind (sadly, it was a great looking day for snowboarding) as I said I am feeling too sick.

So far as goals go, I have completed my homework already so I fully expect to be able to go to bed at a reasonable hour tonight! Will report for sure tomorrow.
    Last edited by eig; 03-11-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

eig
    I did awesome last night! Boyfriend and I watched a movie that wrapped up just after seven, I turned off the computer and we cooked diner, ate, read a little, then went to bed at 10! After I put the computer away I felt really good about it because I was able to read a little which has always been a hobbies of mine but I haven't done nearly as much as I would like since starting college (not for fun anyway). Also woke up this morning at a reasonable hour with no alarm. I had to edit what I ate yesterday because I actually ate a little less chicken than I thought I would!

Food:
    Bf- 2 Eggs, 2 sausage patties (made by my boyfriend!), 1/2 fried tomato, 2 cups coffee
    Skipped Lunch
    snack: mac nuts
    pupus: guacamole dip (with tomatoes, jalapenos, onions) and two carrots, wine
    Dinner: grilled deer, sauteed cabbage
    dessert: a few berries, 1 square extra dark chocolate, tea

Finally decided to kick my fake (paraben full) makeup habit. I was thinking about buying some non-toxic organic (and expensive) stuff but then I realized the main ingredient in those is iron oxides! Just bought those instead. Bit of an experiment so I hope it works out!

Stilll not a 100% so I only walked around campus today.
    Last edited by eig; 03-11-2013 at 06:31 PM.

eig
    Today is my busy day. Lots of classes and work. I've gone for a walk already though, woke up at about six (with an alarm). I did good last night again, turned off my computer at exactly 7 and went to bed at 10. Really should have gone to bed at 9 cause I was pretty exhausted but the boyfriend wanted to read a little bit so I joined in. I haven't felt stressed lately either, I've been trying to just not sweat things in the first place and its been going alright so far...only been like two days so far haha but I'm going to try and keep it up!

Food:
    Skipped breakfast
    L- chicken, sauteed cabbage, curried green beans, 1/2 orange
    snack- 1/2 an apple, fresh roasted almond butter, handful of mac nuts, wine
    d-left over deer, tomatoes, brandy
    Last edited by eig; 03-13-2013 at 09:27 AM.

eig
    Have a crazy amount of homework to do today. Kind of feeling the pressure but Im trying to relax about it. Spring break starts this Friday and Im going to Mexico to see my family. I cant wait to lie on the beach and eat oysters and party with my cousins! Im just trying to think of that right now. Went to bed a little late last night, 10:40ish. I chatted with my mom on the phone for too long. Turned my gadgets off really early though, at about 6 (I had a class).

Food so far:
    B- chorizo, eggs
    skipped lunch
    snack- pickle
    D-rotisserie chicken, eggplant dip, carrots, Guinness

I did get that yoga class in today and it was very relaxing! I will definitely do that again. I also got some sun cause it has warmed up. There is still snow on the ground but I wore shorts anyway!
    Last edited by eig; 03-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.

eig
    I did not get to bed or turn the computer off on time yesterday, unfortunately. I had too much homework. I was up doing it until 11 last night. I think I could have planned that out better and I will next time. I have done my last class before spring break already and after work this evening the boyfriend and I are going to drive down to Tucson, stay the night, then drive to Mexico on Friday. Should be an 8 hour trip when all is said and done. Not looking forward to the trip but I can't wait to be on the beach! I also just learned that a friend of ours is going to be in town too! I'm pretty excited about that! I don't know if I will post regularly while in Mexico, but I will jot down some notes and post them later I think.

Food;
    B- chorizo and eggs again, coffee
    L- Chicken, tomatoes, a few blue and blackberries (running low on veggies since we tried not to buy to much because we're leaving town)
    D- Ceviche! My mom said she would make some shrimp ceviche for us to eat when I got home, I can't wait!

On a side note, lately when I've been skipping meals I've been getting this odd taste in my mouth. I wonder if it means I am in ketosis when I dont eat for a few hours? Yesterday I didn't eat from breakfast at 8ish until 6ish at night and it was particularly strong. Also, I wasn't that hungry until I had dinner in front of me. Anyway, I think if it was ketosis, I killed it with that beer though haha!

eig
    Back from spring break! It was a great break from the mold! I slept a lot, walked on the beach a lot, did a big hike, and saw my Mexican family for the first time in a while. I did the best I could with my diet; while in Mexico it was pretty tough but when I came into the states to stay with my American family I kept it clean despite my family not understanding at all why I eat the way I do. It was kid of frustrating going down the list (several times). No I don't eat oatmeal. No I don't eat croissants. No I don't eat rice. I don't eat bread. No, not even whole grain. At first it was funny but it got old quick. Oh well. I managed to stay mostly clean over the whole 10 days. I didn't gain any weight based on how clothes fits which has always been a problem for me before primal.

Anyway, got back yesterday and today is my busy day but I'm not feeling that stressed right now because I realized something while I was on break- these last few credits that are just filler (I finished all my major classes and have just gen eds left) are not as important as getting some sun, playing, relaxing, loving my boyfriend, and doing the activities I love. I mean, I always knew this deep down, that's why I started the journal after all. I wanted to put more effort into these areas of my life that were being neglected but I'm a perfectionist and I try to do everything exactly right. I was putting homework ahead of all of these things because I HAD to have an A. Even though I didn't say or recognize it I felt it; this absolute irrational necessity to have a 4.0 again. Well, while I was sitting on the beach with the boyfriend and taking up some rays it REALLY sunk in. I don't need an A. I have already been accepted into my grad program with an internship based on test scores; a B or even a C will do just fine and I am going to enjoy my last semester of undergrad more.

Anyway...Food today
    Bf- 1 goose egg, couple slices of bacon, coffee
    L-salad with chopped bacon and boiled eggs (we really need our meat to defrost!), olive oil
    snack- pickle, 1/2 apple
    D-rotisserie chicken, salad with olive oil, hot sauce, wine
    Dessert- spiked tea, 1 square extra dark chocolate
    Last edited by eig; 03-27-2013 at 09:24 AM.

eig
    Going to weight lift today for the first time since getting sick! I cant weight (teehee)! Bad puns aside, I don't know if I should jump right in or take it easy. Maybe I'll go back to what I was lifting a few work outs ago. I hope I can do two pull ups in a row now though, last time I tried I almost had it. Anyway, I turned off my computer and went to bed early last night- I woke up just before seven with no alarm, it was awesome! Today I think Ill do some yoga at home after my work out too, I don't know if the whole hour long class after lifting heavy is a good idea but I am just itching to lift so I'll look up something closer to 20 minutes to follow along with on youtube.

food-I'll edit if I end up eating something different cause usually have to edit to add dinner cause I eat it after my computer cut off
    bf- eggs, chorizo, tomato, avocado, coffee
    L-apple, old cheddar cheese, protein shake
    pupus- pickled veggies, marrow from some shin bones
    D-chicken won bok (If you've never heard of it, its a simple Hawaiian soup made with lots of napa cabbage, chicken thighs, tons of ginger, and fish sauce- it sounds odd but it is so delicious!), wine, dark chocolate square
    Last edited by eig; 03-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Hi there - I read your success story a while back (loved it - congratulations!) and I see you are here in Arizona! Isn't this state wonderful? (Politics aside of course!) I'm up in Cave Creek, just 4 miles from Spur Cross Recreational area and 8 miles from Cave Creek Regional park. When I get back into hiking and can maintain a decent pace, I'd love to invite you to hike some of my favorite trails with me. Right now I'm fighting a serious case of "I don't feel like it" blues. And I need to get back into hiking soon, before you know it, it's going to be so hot I have to hit the trail by 5:15-5:30am like last summer. Uggghh. Okay, that's the only negative about this state...
    Anyway, I just wanted to say your planned dinner tonight sounds delicious! I'd love the recipe if you have a link or care to post it. I buy chicken thighs by the ton, and have fish sauce that I've barely used.
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

eig
    Sure and thanks! I love Az, especially up here in the pines where I am. Just wish it had beaches- that's the only thing I don't like!

Chicken Won Bok (got the recipe from an old Filipino man in Hawaii)
    10-20 chicken thighs
    1 nappa cabbage
    1 very large piece of ginger (like the whole root not a piece off of it, but the whole chunk)
    1/4 cup fish sauce (you can find paleo friendly versions, like Red Boat, in health food stores)
    2-4 tablespoons of any high-temp cooking fat

First thing you do is take the ginger and cut it into 2-3 inch long sections and then crush it like its garlic. I used a Mexican molcajete but by boyfriend is strong enough to just use the chef knife. Fry it in the fat in a large pot for a few minutes, then add a couple of the chicken thighs until slightly browned and then add the rest of the chicken, the fish sauce, and enough water to cover the chicken. Salt and pepper to taste, put a lid on it, and then let it sit on the stove until the chicken is cooked. Check it from time to time to see if it needs a stir or more water. When the chicken is done, chop the cabbage into bite-sized pieces, toss into pot and serve it up when its tender (should only take a few minutes). This soup is not an exact science as you can tell but it always comes out great! In Hawaii its served over sticky rice, but I don't eat rice and I think it does very well on its own. Hope you like it!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast