Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Bigger Picture Journal <3eig<3 page 4

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks!

Worked out yesterday after all, foot felt better at the end of the day so I did it. Squat 125 5x5, bench 75 5x5, pull ups & negatives to failure. HIIT and yoga too. I hope I can lean out for my trip to Hawaii at the end of the summer but I made baconnaise for the first time....this is going to become a problem I have NEVER liked mayonnaise in my life and I made this on a whim and now I'm in trouble haha! Primal food is always better though isn't it? I never liked eggs until I ate some free range ones. Never liked salads until I used fresh organic ingredients. I could go on! Anyway, went on a small hike through the forest behind my place today. Been procrastinating....still have TONS of papers to write.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

eig
    I forgot to mention the burger yesterday! I got the lettuce wrapped bacon burger at 5 guys and it was ok. I think In and Outs lettuce wrap burger is better. Not worth the $6 to me, especially for conventional meat and all. My boyfriend was the one that wanted to go taste test in the first place and he had a normal bacon burger and some frys and he said the regular burger was better than In and Out and the frys were better than he's had at any other fast food joint. He thought it was worth it. I am not usually willing to cheat for fast food though so I guys 5 guys delicious burgers will be lost on me
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

eig
    Food today;
    B- 2 eggs, slice of ham, 1/2 small avocado
    snack -pear, almond butter
    L- big bowl of greens, salad shrimps, small avocado, onion, tomato, vinegar
    Snack-tuna with gluten free tamiri and siracha, a nori sheet, a celery stick and kimchi (made by the boyfriend, its soooo good!)
    D- Leg of Lamb (oooo fancy ) sauteed cabbage with bacon!

Work out
    squat 5x5 135lb
    dead 3x5 125lb
    overhead 3x5 55lb 2x5 45

Theres not much grass fed beef around here so I bought some lamb. Usually we just eat the deer the boyfriend hunts but we ran out a bit ago. It is nice to get something different though. Cant complain about lamb Got some of the homework done, Im not stressing at all. At this point I know I will pass all my classes even if I turn nothing else in. I am thinking, so what if I dont get the grade I want? Its no big deal. Still not worth stressing over. It is getting done though sooo double not worried!

eig
    So its been a little while! I just turned in my first of three finals. It was a very long paper on a horribly dull subject. So glad its over. I have been feeling the stress lately though Im trying really hard not to. I mostly try distracting myself with things I like to do. Practice flute or piano, lift some weights, watch a fun show (Game of Thrones last night was AWESOME as always). Of course that means I don't get as much done which is a bit stressful too...sigh. Trying to cheer up though because the light at the end of the tunnel is so close I can taste it! Speaking of tasting things, foods been ok...not the best because Ive been celebrating with friends at restaurants here and there. Had Thai last week, Indian this week. White rice is not something I usually eat but I've been having some because of that. Still probably in the 80/20 but I wanted to keep things clean for summer bikini wearing and all. I'm honestly a little disappointed in myself but whats done is done, and there is nothing I can do about it now. Im going to be eating out a lot for the next couple of weeks though (grad this weekend and then week and a half long road trip to Canada) and I need to make better food decisions in the future. Work outs have only been ok as well. I took a break on Monday due to the GIANT paper I just turned in. Other than that its been good, still doing at least one HIIT work out a week. I don't know if its as good as sprinting, but I like it a lot more.

eig
    Just tried fried eggplant to replace fried potatoes..OMG SOOO GOOD!

eig
    Im in Canada! Graduation went smoothly and I got an A on that paper I was having a hard time not stressing over! I have been on the road since graduation (about two weeks!). Good news is we hiked in every park we came across, which is why it took so long to get here. Bad news is food kind of sucked. Rather than 80/20 as is my usual it was probably more like 60/40. I did my best, but even when there was something I could eat it was still conventionally grown and healthy fats (as in not canola or soy)? Forget about it. Slimming down for summer did not happen but its too cold here to wear a bathing suit anyway Its back to the usual now and I am so happy, I hate crappy food. I found I have been a lot grouchier lately and I blame it on the crappy fats!

Anyway, its summer now so I need to evaluate my goals and how I did on them.

1. Going to bed. I think on this one I did really well...until the last couple of weeks of school. I would say it was back to good ie, no alarms and at least 8hrs of sleep after finals though. I woke up this morning with the sun and went to bed just after dark (which is really late here!) I don't know how I feel about that then...Its not quite a habit like I wanted but I prefer to do it now rather than sleep in and stay up late like I used to. I guess I would give myself a solid B on this one.

2. Sprint. Kind of a fail on the sprinting but I did start doing a high intensity 15-20min interval session, which I think is essentially the same. What I wanted on this was to do SOME cardio, because I usually hate it so much that I never do it. I still don't love it, but I think its alright now. I have been keeping it up so C on this one.

3. RELAX! I think I did pretty good on this one. I have been keeping my stress much lower than usual just by telling myself that X isn't worth stressing over. It has worked pretty good so far. A-

4. Marks unplug challenge. This one is the only one I would say was a complete fail. I was not able to do this, pretty much at all. It makes me sad that I'm this attached to a computer. Once school was over though, I almost dropped of the face of the internet completely (as is obvious by the complete lack of posts after graduation). I think that is a good sign, but while school is going on, which it will until I retire since I'm going back for a teaching degree, I cant seem to stick to this one. F

Well I'm glad I did better than this on me real report card ! Seriously though, I thought these goals were going to be easier to tackle when I started. They seemed small and simple but now I think they were deceptive in their simplicity. There is definitely room for improvement. Maybe I took on too many at once? I will think about this harder for the next goals I set for myself in the next few weeks.

eig
    So like I said in my last post I want to think my goals through a little more this time and I am finding this really hard! I am considering maybe breaking the old goals I didn't do so well on up. The unplug one especially but like I said before I don't even know if I can do that while I am in school and while I am out of school its not a problem. I am also thinking I want to spend more time on hobbies that I used to love but haven't had time for in a little while. For instance, I used to read about a book a day. I haven't read a book in about a year now (except assigned material). I used to practice music every day, now I get around to it from time to time and inevitably I practice the same pieces FOREVER because I am constantly relearning them. I also want to learn more about science and math because my bachelor of arts left a big knowledge hole there. These goals I think fit right into #10, use your mind which being in university is something I do all day but for some reason I think that without these its not complete. Also I have been thinking I feel cluttered sometimes. It is a weird thing to say but I sometimes feel like there is too much going on and I want to simplify my life. I don't even know how to do that. It also seems to me that this want/goal conflicts with the others because I am essentially adding things to my life with the others and the crux of this one is to cut things out. All in all, I have quite a few things I would like to do but I cant even decide where to start!

eig
    My diet and exercise have been unbelievably boring lately! Being away from home, I don't have my gym and I don't like regular gyms so I have been exerciser at home. I walked around town sight seeing literally all afternoon on Monday and did a hilly walk along the bay yesterday. It was actually pretty hot! Food has typically been bacon or steak and eggs for breakfast, salad or soup for lunch, and salmon or pork for dinner with broccoli or cauliflower. I'm staying in a tiny little apartment without a full kitchen so my choices are limited and I MISS MY FOOD!

Anyway, here are my goals for the rest of summer;

1. Read 20 min of a book (one that isn't assigned material) 5 days out of the week.
    2. Play SOMETHING, even if its just one measure, every day. I need to at least look at the music if I ever want to play Moonlight Sonata by heart!
    3. Go for a walk every day. I usually walk because its how I get around but lately I have been walking less than I would if I were going to classes.

I think these goals are more attainable than last time. There is also fewer of them. I will update how I am doing on them from time to time and also post food if I have an awesome day. Its just been so bland lately

eig
    Yesterday I ate Steak and eggs w/spinach for bf, lunch was a salad w/ a little old cheese, olives, avocado and steamed fish, had a snack of liver pate with zucchini slices and some almonds and dinner was salmon and a zucchini and mushroom thing I threw together with red sauce (almost purely blended stewed tomatoes and olive oil). Had a couple 85% dark chocolate squares for dessert from this new organic & fair trade brand I'm trying and it was divine! Today I ate 2 eggs and 2 links of breakfast sausage, lunch was a BLT salad with Canadian bacon, dinner is chicken won bok (yay!), its already on the stove cause I bought a tough old bird that is going to take a while to soften! Did a TON of body weight stuff yesterday...super sore today. Going on a walk later and am about to download primal connection to read.

On a completely unrelated note to any of this I think I'm becoming a hippie The more I think about it the more I am coming to the conclusion that I seem to be happier the more I do things that are in line with our natural way of being. For instance, I stopped wearing make-up this last semester. I never wore a lot; usually tinted moisturizer, powder, blush, eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss/ chap stick. Half as much as most the girls I know who add full on foundation, primer, several shades of eyeshadow, eyebrow corrector, concealer, lip stick with pencil, and even fake eyelashes, just to go to class! At first I didn't wear much because, admittedly, I was lazy and also I couldn't make the other stuff or find a safe brand I could afford but after reading about what was in make up I started thinking about why I wear it in the first place. I used to think make up was a blessing because after all, if you are a man and got hit by every branch of the ugly tree there was nothing you could do about it. If you are woman though all you need is 2 hours and all the make up I just mentioned and anyone can look beautiful. Then, something terribly obvious occurred to me last semester while I was siting in an unbelievably boring lecture- men don't wear any make up and I still think they are hott (especially my bf ) If mens faces are good enough with out it, why are womens? I also figured out that the answer to why I wore it in the first place was because I was insecure. I didn't think my face was good enough or something. I stopped wearing make up the next day. Sometimes I feel a little self conscious about it I'll admit, but most days I feel really good and more confident for it.

Another thing I've done since then is I've stopped using all soapy-perfumery bath products. That's right, I don't shampoo with shampoo, I use the no 'poo method and I only use real unscented soap where needed or if I get really dirty for some reason (insert tasteless joke here). I don't even use real deodorant (GASP!), I use a little bit of baking soda. No I don't stink. Yes I've asked unbiased people. My skin is definitely thanking me for it; the skin on my face is clear almost always and its not dry anywhere anymore. Its not the diet alone that did it either, though that helped, because I had dry skin while using soap/shampoo/perfume but after being paleo for months.

So whats next? Shaving. I know, I know eww, gross! Another unshaven unwashed hippie is in our camp ! What can I say? I hate it, it irritates my skin and I've been watching TV in the evenings lately because the place my bf and I are renting for the summer includes it in the rent (and he wants to watch the hockey game ), and I've seen these ridiculous ads about hott women who admit to loving hairless men which then cuts to a fully grown, very muscular man shaving all his hair off. If that floats your boat whatever I guess but I really don't care (in fact I like my bf's body hair) and its soooo much bother! It also causes ingrown hairs if you don't do it right and you can cut yourself even with safety razors. Not to mention disposables are wasteful. Of course, I realize the shaving industry has done this before, to women, and we bought it but its one thing to hear that back in the day they made an ad campaign telling women body hair is gross and unattractive and its another thing to see it happening. I had already been toying with the idea of not shaving even in summer anymore. I already don't in winter, the bf digs it, I don't care, and after seeing this ad campaign and immediately thinking "what the heck? why would anyone care about mens hairy chests?" It occurred to me that that was probably everyone's reaction to the first campaigns aimed towards women. I don't know why that changes anything to me but it does. I guess I just feel manipulated especially now that I'm seeing it happen to men and I can personally see how they got us all doing this. I hate doing it and I don't personally prefer it so now I am seriously considering it. Especially when I'm in my staying in my hometown, its a bit of a hippie place anyway .
    Last edited by eig; 06-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.

eig
    Been doing pretty good! Went on a couple easy hikes this last weekend. Been playing piano and reading too. Yesterday I ate out. I ordered roasted lamb and a Greek salad. It was REALLY good and I'm proud that I stuck to 100% primal foods.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast