Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflammation+ protein shakes+ primal+ recovery page

donnie86 is offline Junior Member

Inflammation+ protein shakes+ primal+ recovery

Shop Now
    Hi, Ive had cfs for 15 years. Im young, in good shape, look after myself, but just feel awful always. Tried practically everything and have finally found success with the primal diet. Vitamins, minerals, b12 shots etc have helped immensely, but still toggling with my diet. Despite the pain in my joints having subsided, I can still feel immense inflammation in my digestive track still after a couple of months of going primal. Ive limited all allergens and phytic acid and eat bascially 3 meals a day as recommended. Im now taking digestive enzyes with my meals which seems to help. My questions are:

1: Since i still struggle with digestion/inflammation, is it ok to have a quickly absorbed protein shake as a meal? Its so much easier to digest which may help me heal quicker as it gives my digestion a rest? It feels so much more comfortable drinking shakes and eating fruits at the moment. I think ideally id like to fast but my life is very stressful at the moment so it may be impractical. The problem however, is that im allergic to whey- it makes me nauseous- but i think im ok with casein. Also thought perhaps hydrolyzed whey would be ok too as its less allergenic?

2. How long can i expect to recover? Should i be better by now?
    Last edited by donnie86; 03-10-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    I had some severe gut inflammation that would cripple me at certain times. I pin pointed it to excess fiber, polyunsaturated fat and protein. A changed my diet to a fruit heavy, low protein and higher saturated fat, low residue diet. Mainly i eat lots of fruit and fresh squeezed fruit juice, dairy (ice cream, milk, yogart and a bit of cheese.) and a minimal amount of red meat/fish. I avoid most veggies, white meat, grains, nuts, etc.

This certainly helped my gut and inflammation. Sometimes if i feel it flair up i will cut back to just fruit/feuit juice for a day or two.

Just my experience, take it for what you will. Good luck figuring it out!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donnie86 View Post
    Hi, Ive had cfs for 15 years. Im young, in good shape, look after myself, but just feel awful always. Tried practically everything and have finally found success with the primal diet. Vitamins, minerals, b12 shots etc have helped immensely, but still toggling with my diet. Despite the pain in my joints having subsided, I can still feel immense inflammation in my digestive track still after a couple of months of going primal. Ive limited all allergens and phytic acid and eat bascially 3 meals a day as recommended. Im now taking digestive enzyes with my meals which seems to help. My questions are:

1: Since i still struggle with digestion/inflammation, is it ok to have a quickly absorbed protein shake as a meal? Its so much easier to digest which may help me heal quicker as it gives my digestion a rest? It feels so much more comfortable drinking shakes and eating fruits at the moment. I think ideally id like to fast but my life is very stressful at the moment so it may be impractical. The problem however, is that im allergic to whey- it makes me nauseous- but i think im ok with casein. Also thought perhaps hydrolyzed whey would be ok too as its less allergenic?

See Mark's blog today. There people tried no fiber for 2 weeks. No fiber can be achieved by drinking bone broth and/or beef broth and eating only meat and fish. It certainly reduced inflation. After that they added in varying amounts of fiber, on an individual choice bases. Soluble fiber is much preferable to insoluble fiber. So veggies are better than grain. Nutrition charts can tell you how much fiber a vegetable has. Juicing will reduce the length of the fiber and the length of time it takes to digest, but it can't reduce the amount of fiber or affect the type of stool that results. Fruit is often high in fiber but you'd have to check each one out. It's also high in sugar which is not helpful. You also want to remove as much sugar as possible. I'm talking, as the sudy did, of a short period of time. Over a long period of time you really need a balanced (primal) diet to be healthy.

As for the amount of time to expect, that depends upon the amount of inflation and your age. Young with high inflation, maybe 3 months or more, again depending on how dedicated you are to the diet.

For joint pain, eat no nightshades ever and add tumeric to everything you can.

I've never tried protein shakes so I can't really answer that question. I've always though real food was the best but then I have time to arrange that.

You might want to get a C-Reactive Protien test to see just how bad your inflation really is.

Little Women is offline Member
    See if your library has Practical Paleo. It's not exactly the same as Primal, but very similar. She goes into some depth about different foods that can cause difficulty for different people, especially for things like CFS, digestive issues, etc. I think you will find good information and many things to think about and try, there.

(One thing she mentions, which it sounds like you might need, is trying no eggs. She has lots of other things, too, but since you especially mentioned breakfasts as a problem, I thought this might be relevant.)

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    See Mark's blog today. There people tried no fiber for 2 weeks. No fiber can be achieved by drinking bone broth and/or beef broth and eating only meat and fish. It certainly reduced inflation. After that they added in varying amounts of fiber, on an individual choice bases. Soluble fiber is much preferable to insoluble fiber. So veggies are better than grain. Nutrition charts can tell you how much fiber a vegetable has. Juicing will reduce the length of the fiber and the length of time it takes to digest, but it can't reduce the amount of fiber or affect the type of stool that results. Fruit is often high in fiber but you'd have to check each one out. It's also high in sugar which is not helpful. You also want to remove as much sugar as possible. I'm talking, as the sudy did, of a short period of time. Over a long period of time you really need a balanced (primal) diet to be healthy.

As for the amount of time to expect, that depends upon the amount of inflation and your age. Young with high inflation, maybe 3 months or more, again depending on how dedicated you are to the diet.

For joint pain, eat no nightshades ever and add tumeric to everything you can.

I've never tried protein shakes so I can't really answer that question. I've always though real food was the best but then I have time to arrange that.

You might want to get a C-Reactive Protien test to see just how bad your inflation really is.
    Inflation? Seriously? The comedy is too strong to ignore.

I agree with all the advice. After a bout of fruit ingestion I got uveitis in my right eye and my bowel experienced pain like never in my life. Horrible explosive diarrhea for like two weeks, and eventually uveitis started in my left eye, but I still had the eye drops from the first bout and extinguished the fire before it got too bad. This kind of auto-immune inflammatory bullcrap is inexcusable. These fruit-peddling jerks almost made me go blind. My vision is still hazy in my right eye. As long as inconsiderate pompous sugar-addicts like Derpy and Zach are around, I'll be having to oppose them. You fruit and candy mongers need to GTFO.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Fantazmic is offline Member
    HI Donnie

I have food intolerance which expresses itself as IBS. I can suggest a wonderful site for you

salycilatesensitivity.com.

What the girls dont know on that site doesnt count. If you can post your story on the forum there they will be able to make some wonderful suggestions for you. They have really really helped me.

I would suggest you learn about salycilates. They are present in lots of foods...we all have some form of intolerance to them...some people virtually none and people like you and me....well lots.

Also sulphites should be avoided and they hide in all sorts of foods and cause IBS symptoms.

Aso the person who suggested tumeric.....please please dont so this....tumeric is a herb...it is concentrated....it is processed with sulphites......it will make you very sick if you are salycilate intolerant.

I have found paleo has helped me along with avoiding the main allergens
    Milk
    Eggs
    Peanuts
    Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
    Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
    Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
    Soy
    Wheat

Plus I take probiotics an I can recommend a wonderful product made by a company called Lifestream called Bowel Biotics. They make one with probiotics and one with prbiotics and digestive enzymes.

Also be careful with digestive enzymes...depending upon which ones you take they can make things worse.

Hope this helps

Elizabeth

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donnie86 View Post

Haven't looked at CFS specifically, but if you feel you have improved then you are on the right track, I am really no fan of juicing and protein powders, but you need to judge that, bone broth's are always good for gentle digestion.

Just as a benchmark, it took my partner 6+ years to get her thyroid function back after autoimmune disease, so if you have had CFS for at least 15 years I would expect similar timeframes.

I myself started this primal/Paleo journey not expecting much change as I thought I was healthy, only to find what I thought was normal was actually sick, just not sick enough to go to hospital, I am feeling better week by week and don't expect to really understand who I was supposed to be for another 5 years or so.

Steady as she goes is the order of the day, tweak to improve, but don't jump around too much on and off different protocols as you may lose your direction.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    Omni I gree totally. I have been primal now for 15 months and I have had great inroads in my health but I still have a long way to go.

If you are allergic to Whey protein, there are alternatives such as Egg or Hemp based protein powders. I would stick to unflavored powder since flavored Hemp protein powder is disgusting.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Inflation? Seriously? The comedy is too strong to ignore.

I agree with all the advice. After a bout of fruit ingestion I got uveitis in my right eye and my bowel experienced pain like never in my life. Horrible explosive diarrhea for like two weeks, and eventually uveitis started in my left eye, but I still had the eye drops from the first bout and extinguished the fire before it got too bad. This kind of auto-immune inflammatory bullcrap is inexcusable. These fruit-peddling jerks almost made me go blind. My vision is still hazy in my right eye. As long as inconsiderate pompous sugar-addicts like Derpy and Zach are around, I'll be having to oppose them. You fruit and candy mongers need to GTFO.
    Dont bother to point out that you are a very sick person and eating a almost zero carb diet forever before you just decided to down a bunch of unripe bananas.

The only person you can blame for your ill health is yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast