Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Stop referencing Dr Andrew Weil page 6

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    He used to be my hero. No longer.

All I need to know about Weil is summed up in his Food Pyramid.

Dr Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet Food Pyramid
    My response to that pyramid would be to ask, "Where's the beef?"

But for those hung up on Dr Weil's waistline, I saw this diet book at the store the other day and he has, judging by his picture, lost a lot of weight. Still has the Santa beard but he is pretty trim.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My response to that pyramid would be to ask, "Where's the beef?"

But for those hung up on Dr Weil's waistline, I saw this diet book at the store the other day and he has, judging by his picture, lost a lot of weight. Still has the Santa beard but he is pretty trim.
    Airbrush? In the Oz episode, Weil was actually quite trim except for his beach ball stomach.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    plus is no one factoring in that some people just like to eat?

anyone?

raises hand
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Airbrush? In the Oz episode, Weil was actually quite trim except for his beach ball stomach.
    He may have sucked the gut in for the photo but his face looked way thinner as well. When was the Oz episode? You know what, I don't even care. This is silly topic to begin with.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post

raises hand
    *high five*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    So you're agreeing that wheat and seed oils are not inflammatory are you? That pyramid is a disaster for anyone trying to address the ravages of inflammation. Best stick with primal for that, with some specific tweaks

And I would never take lifestyle advice from someone who didn't appear healthy. Have you never heard the imprecation: "Physician heal thyself"?
    "HEALTHY FATS
    How much: 5-7 servings per day (one serving is equal to 1 teaspoon of oil, 2 walnuts, 1 tablespoon of flaxseed, 1 ounce of avocado)
    Healthy choices: For cooking, use extra virgin olive oil and expeller-pressed organic canola oil. Other sources of healthy fats include nuts (especially walnuts), avocados, and seeds - including hemp seeds and freshly ground flaxseed. Omega-3 fats are also found in cold water fish, omega-3 enriched eggs, and whole soy foods. Organic, expeller pressed, high-oleic sunflower or safflower oils may also be used, as well as walnut and hazelnut oils in salads and dark roasted sesame oil as a flavoring for soups and stir-fries
    Why: Healthy fats are those rich in either monounsaturated or omega-3 fats. Extra-virgin olive oil is rich in polyphenols with antioxidant activity and canola oil contains a small fraction of omega-3 fatty acids.

WHOLE & CRACKED GRAINS
    How much: 3-5 servings a day (one serving is equal to about cup cooked grains)
    Healthy choices: Brown rice, basmati rice, wild rice, buckwheat, groats, barley, quinoa, steel-cut oats
    Why: Whole grains digest slowly, reducing frequency of spikes in blood sugar that promote inflammation. "Whole grains" means grains that are intact or in a few large pieces, not whole wheat bread or other products made from flour."

The pyramid is not perfect and I wouldn't recommend anyone to follow it to a tee, but he got a lot of it right.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think Dr. Weil's obesity is a clear symbol of why current dietary recommendations are such a failure. It is because success depends on using willpower to over-ride the desire to eat. We have very limited ability to do that. So even this highly successful person who really believes in his mission and wants to help people be well, can't control his weight with this diet.

Satiety is the critical component in long term weight loss/maintenance. He is eating in a way that depends on willpower instead of satiety. He will lose and so will most people who follow his advice.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    "HEALTHY FATS
    How much: 5-7 servings per day (one serving is equal to 1 teaspoon of oil, 2 walnuts, 1 tablespoon of flaxseed, 1 ounce of avocado)
    Healthy choices: For cooking, use extra virgin olive oil and expeller-pressed organic canola oil. Other sources of healthy fats include nuts (especially walnuts), avocados, and seeds - including hemp seeds and freshly ground flaxseed. Omega-3 fats are also found in cold water fish, omega-3 enriched eggs, and whole soy foods. Organic, expeller pressed, high-oleic sunflower or safflower oils may also be used, as well as walnut and hazelnut oils in salads and dark roasted sesame oil as a flavoring for soups and stir-fries
    Why: Healthy fats are those rich in either monounsaturated or omega-3 fats. Extra-virgin olive oil is rich in polyphenols with antioxidant activity and canola oil contains a small fraction of omega-3 fatty acids.

WHOLE & CRACKED GRAINS
    How much: 3-5 servings a day (one serving is equal to about cup cooked grains)
    Healthy choices: Brown rice, basmati rice, wild rice, buckwheat, groats, barley, quinoa, steel-cut oats
    Why: Whole grains digest slowly, reducing frequency of spikes in blood sugar that promote inflammation. "Whole grains" means grains that are intact or in a few large pieces, not whole wheat bread or other products made from flour."

The pyramid is not perfect and I wouldn't recommend anyone to follow it to a tee, but he got a lot of it right.
    Canola oil is a healthy cooking oil? Are you kidding me? Also, for many people, including me, whole grains spike BG just as much as refined grains. For me, steel cut oats and pulverized instant oats give me the same postprandial spike. Based on what I read on various diabetic support forums, this is typical. I believe the glycemic index does not reflect reality for many (most?) people and anyone recommending food selection based on GI is doing more harm than good.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam916 View Post
    With google we could all have something "useful" to add to the discussion. Seriously though, I get what you are saying and she is a licensed physician, she obviously knows a thing or two about the benefits of eating right and exercise - but at the end of the day, I am not going to walk away from the information provided to me by an obese doctor as say a fit one, ready to make lifestyle changes. I am just being honest.
    Nah you had it right the first go around. She's an MD.... hence she knows meds. Unless she has taken significant post doctorate classes in nutrition and lifestyle modification I wouldn't take her advice on it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456