Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Stop referencing Dr Andrew Weil page 5

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam916 View Post
    Thank you! You are 100% correct that people should not be judged by the way that they look. Again, I am just being honest. That certainly does appear to be a flaw in my nature. I do not apply this to all walks of life - just a obese physician spouting off that I need to lose weight, although, then wouldn't the saying that those that can, do and those that cannot teach? Maybe I have learned something here today. My doctor has never told me I needed to lose weight - so this hasn't actually happened to me.

I still think a hairdresser should have their hair done. I don't care it if is multi-colored as long as it is done in whatever style they are wearing it. I feel like it shows pride - that's all.
    Please don't feel as if I was attacking your character. I do not know you, but I am sure you are a caring person at least for your own self because you are here at MDA.

I can certainly understand your position, it would look much more presentable if that hairdresser had awesome hair....a very good marketing strategy etc.

But if that hairdresser only had awesome hair, but actually really stunk at his/her craft....then that doesn't mean a heck of a lot for those of us would be clients.

I fully feel most of us on MDA (including some trolls, and excluding other trolls) are on personal missions trying to find all the information relevant to our own respective lives and health concerns. I think most of us are also able to decipher what may or may not be b.s. And the things we don't know we may choose not to even bother with it or we may choose to dig a little bit deeper.

If the information is good and relevant to us, it doesn't matter where it comes from, so as long as whoever is delivering the message is not out to harm people.

Weil, like Sisson, like Mercola all need to earn a living too right? Just like Big Pharma, Big Aggra, Big Gov't.

Which of these are out to screw you more?

Pam916 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Please don't feel as if I was attacking your character. I do not know you, but I am sure you are a caring person at least for your own self because you are here at MDA.

I can certainly understand your position, it would look much more presentable if that hairdresser had awesome hair....a very good marketing strategy etc.

But if that hairdresser only had awesome hair, but actually really stunk at his/her craft....then that doesn't mean a heck of a lot for those of us would be clients.

I fully feel most of us on MDA (including some trolls, and excluding other trolls) are on personal missions trying to find all the information relevant to our own respective lives and health concerns. I think most of us are also able to decipher what may or may not be b.s. And the things we don't know we may choose not to even bother with it or we may choose to dig a little bit deeper.

If the information is good and relevant to us, it doesn't matter where it comes from, so as long as whoever is delivering the message is not out to harm people.

Weil, like Sisson, like Mercola all need to earn a living too right? Just like Big Pharma, Big Aggra, Big Gov't.

Which of these are out to screw you more?
    I did not feel attacked at all and honestly feel like I have taken away some very good points here. The worst thing we can do is to be closed off to new information/ideas. I do not want to be judged by my appearance, nor is my knowledge and intelligence wrapped up into my body mass. Why should I do the same to others. I am honestly humbled by the fact that when seeing it in writing, I have been doing something I do not want done to me. I feel like I had a successful day, because I have not only learned something, but maybe grown a bit too. All good on my end!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Just a thought... yeah, maybe Dr. Weil works hard, but so do most Americans. Shouldn't he work on an effective strategy that can work for people that in general have a similar lifestyle? A diet and exercise plan is ineffective if it can not be executed. There are MANY diet and exercise plans that work if you can follow them. You would think that the person it would be easiest for is the one that came up with it. When I see him fail, to me it's obviously good in theory. But fails in the long term.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Just a thought... yeah, maybe Dr. Weil works hard, but so do most Americans. Shouldn't he work on an effective strategy that can work for people that in general have a similar lifestyle? A diet and exercise plan is ineffective if it can not be executed. There are MANY diet and exercise plans that work if you can follow them. You would think that the person it would be easiest for is the one that came up with it. When I see him fail, to me it's obviously good in theory. But fails in the long term.
    You are assuming he is even trying.

Science and daily experience (e.g. with domesticated animals) indicates that being overweight (not obese) is beneficial in a controlled environment (in other words, it isn't ideal for tooth-and-claw wild animals but once you put us in cages it correlates strongly with longer lifespan), so there is little incentive for a mated or sexually disinterested individual to maintain a slender appearance.

If this Dr. is some kind of scientist he would know that and could well be choosing longevity over appearance.
    Last edited by Him; 03-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    He used to be my hero. No longer.

All I need to know about Weil is summed up in his Food Pyramid.

Dr Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet Food Pyramid

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

That's messed up. Chocolate and red wine should be at the bottom.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

Understandable that Weil's anti-inflammatory pyramid doesn't follow paleo/primal strictly, but that pyramid is designed for a specific goal. Did you read the rationale below the pyramid?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    Understandable that Weil's anti-inflammatory pyramid doesn't follow paleo/primal strictly, but that pyramid is designed for a specific goal. Did you read the rationale below the pyramid?
    So you're agreeing that wheat and seed oils are not inflammatory are you? That pyramid is a disaster for anyone trying to address the ravages of inflammation. Best stick with primal for that, with some specific tweaks

And I would never take lifestyle advice from someone who didn't appear healthy. Have you never heard the imprecation: "Physician heal thyself"?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    there is little incentive for a mated or sexually disinterested individual to maintain a slender appearance.
    That explains my weight ups and downs almost perfectly. haha
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    plus is no one factoring in that some people just like to eat?

anyone?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast