Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stop referencing Dr Andrew Weil page 4

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam916 View Post
    Absolutely not. My doctor is overweight and I am fine with her prescribing meds for a sinus infection, strep throat or doing my yearly physical. Her credentials are on the wall. However, I would question her immediately if she were to tell me to lose weight and provide me with information on how to do so when she CLEARLY does not follow that same path in her life. Walk the walk, talk the talk. Her credentials for following a healthy lifestyle are written all over her person.
    We see a lot of people pushing diets of various sorts, and there really is no way to know from looking at them whether they follow their own program, some other one, or are naturally thin with zero expertise.

I agree that people who are pushing a weight loss program should be able to heal themselves. I did some market research on this a while back among hypnotists, many of whom who are over weight (kind of like the public) to find out what sort of "expert" they would trust for help.

But I would disagree that they have nothing useful to add to the discussion.

Pam916 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    We see a lot of people pushing diets of various sorts, and there really is no way to know from looking at them whether they follow their own program, some other one, or are naturally thin with zero expertise.

I agree that people who are pushing a weight loss program should be able to heal themselves. I did some market research on this a while back among hypnotists, many of whom who are over weight (kind of like the public) to find out what sort of "expert" they would trust for help.

But I would disagree that they have nothing useful to add to the discussion.
    With google we could all have something "useful" to add to the discussion. Seriously though, I get what you are saying and she is a licensed physician, she obviously knows a thing or two about the benefits of eating right and exercise - but at the end of the day, I am not going to walk away from the information provided to me by an obese doctor as say a fit one, ready to make lifestyle changes. I am just being honest.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    People should try more to look past the exterior and fully embrace the meaningful.

If by looking at something and not liking what you see then proceeding to not taking something that is good to heart, I feel is flawed.

For me, if I see someone who is ripped and physically fit, I would ask them primarily about fitness, not about health and not about nutrition yet. I would ask them about the latter only after I learned more about them and their habits.

I am not religious, but that doesn't mean there is nothing good that I can't learn from a certain religion.

Oh and a good hairdresser's skill is most likely measured on the quality hairstyle of his/her clients. If a hairdresser has awesome personal hair, she most likely goes to another awesomely skilled hairdresser.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    When you need diet advice you should go to skinny people, for exercise advice you should go to a 20-something male who has never been out of shape, when you need surgery you should go to someone who has had breast augmentation. Their success is clear evidence they know how to help you attain your goals.

The problem is that people who do real things these days end up in offices, labs, and other controlled environments, working long sedentary days, not getting the exercise they should be getting. To be an expert requires constant study (which means sitting still and reading), constant research (which involves more sitting still and working), and then if they want to write a book that means even more time writing (yet more sitting). They work indoors, and if they work with experiments or have patients they can't take long vacations. As a result, they are ugly. Sorry, it's true. Their work, their chosen lifestyle, makes them ugly. So when you get your advice, the last group you want to consult is experts. Instead you should trust 20-somethings with enough money to hire ghost writers. They are beautiful, and therefore credible, and you would have to be crazy to look beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    When you need diet advice you should go to skinny people, for exercise advice you should go to a 20-something male who has never been out of shape, when you need surgery you should go to someone who has had breast augmentation. Their success is clear evidence they know how to help you attain your goals.

The problem is that people who do real things these days end up in offices, labs, and other controlled environments, working long sedentary days, not getting the exercise they should be getting. To be an expert requires constant study (which means sitting still and reading), constant research (which involves more sitting still and working), and then if they want to write a book that means even more time writing (yet more sitting). They work indoors, and if they work with experiments or have patients they can't take long vacations. As a result, they are ugly. Sorry, it's true. Their work, their chosen lifestyle, makes them ugly. So when you get your advice, the last group you want to consult is experts. Instead you should trust 20-somethings with enough money to hire ghost writers. They are beautiful, and therefore credible, and you would have to be crazy to look beyond that.
    Haha, hire ghost writers and models.

Pam916 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    People should try more to look past the exterior and fully embrace the meaningful.

If by looking at something and not liking what you see then proceeding to not taking something that is good to heart, I feel is flawed.

For me, if I see someone who is ripped and physically fit, I would ask them primarily about fitness, not about health and not about nutrition yet. I would ask them about the latter only after I learned more about them and their habits.

I am not religious, but that doesn't mean there is nothing good that I can't learn from a certain religion.

Oh and a good hairdresser's skill is most likely measured on the quality hairstyle of his/her clients. If a hairdresser has awesome personal hair, she most likely goes to another awesomely skilled hairdresser.
    Thank you! You are 100% correct that people should not be judged by the way that they look. Again, I am just being honest. That certainly does appear to be a flaw in my nature. I do not apply this to all walks of life - just a obese physician spouting off that I need to lose weight, although, then wouldn't the saying that those that can, do and those that cannot teach? Maybe I have learned something here today. My doctor has never told me I needed to lose weight - so this hasn't actually happened to me.

I still think a hairdresser should have their hair done. I don't care it if is multi-colored as long as it is done in whatever style they are wearing it. I feel like it shows pride - that's all.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    my doctor is short, chunky, wears low cut blouses, and tells funny off-color stories

she's also diligent, caring, will research how to best help you in her off time, will try her best to make you at ease and is protective of her nurses when someone is being unruly

the only thing i disagree with is her choice of diet

judge a book by its cover all you want, i'll put my body and health in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Doctors smoke, and doctors need to lose weight. The fact that they have not made these changes is mostly a reflection of how hard it is to accomplish those things. And realistically, all doctors don't have the time needed to acquire the expertise they need, given that they too are being bombarded by misinformation and disinformation by supposed experts.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    It's a bit like a catholic priest that I know, personally he is an atheist, but he want people to confess their sins and live a christian life...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post

Excellent!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast