Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended supplements? page

Recommended supplements?

What kind of supplements do you guys recommend to complement primal living? So far I just take D-vitamin 5000 IU and fish oil. I'm not sure if i should actually go for some multivitamin supplements because I am not eating vegetables as frequently as I should.

My second question is how artificially created vitamins differ from the ones we get natually from food? Afaik the bioavailability is not as good in artificial vitamins (for reasons not known to me yet). But how exactly is that a problem, don't we just need to take a bigger dose from the supplements?

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Damnregistering (hehe...love it),

Not to sound like an advertisement, but I take Mark's Damage Control Master Formula each day. It's basically the kitchen sink of supplements. I too want to maximize bioavailability, so I take it slowly and with fish oil over the course of a meal. I take two packets plus four fish oils on the days I only eat once; otherwise I spread that out over two meals.

I'm also partial to a good protein powder. I take a zero-carb blend of organic whey isolate which Primal Nutrition doesn't offer (although they may soon). However, I don't want this to be a primary nutrient source so I always keep it to about 20% or less of my daily protein intake.

Perhaps one day I will be so primal that I'll be hunting my own prey in the mountains, eating the liver right out of the carcass, scrambling the brains and kidneys, doing double shots of vitreous humor and cracking the bones with my sledgehammer for stock. Then I wouldn't need supplements anymore. But that day is still pretty far off, so until then, I don't feel bad about supplementing my diet of dark green veg and muscle cuts.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the other camp. Study after study shows that we piss out more synthetic vitamins and minerals than we retain. Excuse my French.

A balanced (grain, sugar, wheat-free) diet can provide you with 100% of every vitamin, mineral and fatty acid you need. In fact - you can get 100% of your vitamins, minerals and fatty acids in less than 10 ingredients.

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    what are the ingredients?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    My diet consists of only 5-6 ingredients haha.

I supplement regularly with fish oil, vitamin d3, and ginkgo biloba.

Recently due to an injury I started adding calcium, magnesium and vitamin C in hopes that it will speed up recovery. However I don't plan to keep these in my diet. But I don't plan on throwing them out either, I'll just finish them.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    That was rhetorical but let's see - calf liver, bell peppers, canned salmon with bones, mustard greens, radishes, eggs, macadamia nuts and parsley (or various other green you don't ever think of eating). That's 8. If you're not a fan of salmon bones, you can add milk or oysters. Add both an you're at 10 ingredients.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I take various minerals on days that I think I'm low in them, fish oil on days where I need it, vitamin d, vitamin e, k2, alpha-lipoic acid, and probiotics. I look like a supplement junkie but I swear that they're all having a beneficial impact. I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of optimal nutrition or overestimate their body's ability to absorb nutrients. I have to side with Mark's take on a oh-my-god-assloads-of-nutrients-in one supplement approach. I think as long as you get good quality stuff there is a lot more benefit than risk.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    how have the probiotics helped you? have you noticed change/difference...??

why do you take ALA? or can you explain what it is

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    ALA is one of our cellular universal antioxidants and protects us from free radical damage at the intracellular level. It also regenerates our other universal antioxidants like vitamin c, e, glutathione, and coq10. And those in turn regenerate each other. It's one big complex web of defense and I think that getting ample c, e and ALA and maximizing glutathione are very important for counteracting degeneration. That's where the real protection is. I think that some of the transient dietary antioxidants like from tea have benefits to them but all of these suckers with their acai berry juice should actually be focusing on our body's intrinsic defenses.

Probiotics had a big effect on my acne a year ago when I started taking them, before I started learning about real nutrition. So I continue to take them as an insurance policy. I recommend them to anyone with a history of eating junk or drug use, even if they have been clean for a while. They can't possibly hurt anyway.

edit: multi-strain can't hurt. I wouldn't take one with just a single strain. Don't quote me on it but I think single strains can become dominant and crowd out other ones. And it doesn't make sense to just get one type when you can get many.
    Last edited by Stabby; 05-03-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    casn you explain what to look for in multi strain vs single strain??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast