Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: By Breaking the Plateau, Are We Breaking the Essence of the Primal Diet?

Hybrid View

By Breaking the Plateau, Are We Breaking the Essence of the Primal Diet?

To give you some background, I've lost over 40 pounds on the primal/paleo diet. At first, I was losing weight so quickly that the success stories seemed like the slow lane to me. On top of that, I can lift about 50% to 60% more than when starting Primal about ten months ago.

Now, I've hit a serious plateau. I've read dozens of posts on getting through a plateau. I've crossed off all the typical problems of the list. I'm eating almost zero fruit. I stopped snacking on nuts about 100%. No chocolate, honey, and other semi-cheats. No my portions are not insane. Yes, I'm walking, lifting, sprinting, etc. Check fasting on the list too.

There seems to be a subsector of blog posts for people in my exact situation. They've tried it all and they're still at the plateau. It seems two things work from here: either making your exercises even more strenuous or reducing portions even more. This seems to work for a lot of people.

However, here's my issue: this may work and I guess that I'll give it a try, but I feel like I'm right back where I started before going primal i.e. counting calories, portion control, and strenuous exercise every day of the week.

So, it seems like that even though this might break the plateau, you lose everything that's great about the primal diet. Anyone have thoughts or feeling on this?

How much more weight do you need or want to lose?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Also remember that your body may want to stay where it's at for a while. Have patience and continue on your current path. Don't stress out over it. Stop weighing yourself and measuring. Just eat, exercise, sleep, and play. After a few weeks, take a look and maybe you'll have broken it.

Why is it a plateau?
    What do you want to achieve?
    Do you want to pull a jumbo jet with your teeth?
    If so then maybe strong men forums.

As said if you feel you are still a little overweight, then maybe let the rest of your body catch up, all really depends where you are now, it sounds like you've made big strides, don't get too attached to the feel good of constant improvement health is about a healthy balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Anyone have thoughts or feeling on this?
    I hit a plateau at the end of January. I know that my strength training is slowly putting on muscle so I accepted that as part of the reason I stopped losing weight. I know I still have plenty of fat on me but believe what Mark said somewhere. Our bodies get to a point where they just say "Hold up, let's stick here for a while and when I'm sorted we'll carry on down towards our ideal." That works for me.

When I weighed myself last Tuesday I had lost two pounds at 178 down from the plateau I'd hit at 180-183. I say just stick with the plan and it will turn out right in the long term. We are conditioned to have stuff NOW!!!! and that's just not realistic for some stuff.

I am as impatient as the next person but have learned it makes no difference and accept that I have to wait for results.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

I tend to think that a plateau is the hallmark of vanity weight. Your body will plateau if you are eating as you should and exercising as you should. It has hit it's happy, healthy point. Beyond that you are forcing your body to a weight or body fat % that it is not naturally, so that's where things become harder and you have to hack it to get to a vanity weight. Nothing wrong with that, but it takes work and yes, you will have to force yourself out of the primal ideal of eating normally and exercising slowly to achieve it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

It has hit it's happy, healthy point. Beyond that you are forcing your body to a weight or body fat % that it is not naturally
    It kind of sucks when that point is still rather overweight. I *know* my body is not normal. I am 5'6 and 173. I have not weighed this little since before puberty. So yes, I have excess fat that is not healthy, yet my body has not been this small since starting my period.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

A lot of people pointed out the possibility that I had reached my ideal weight. In my case also, I really doubt that's it. I'm 247 and 6'0. If I was at least 210 or 220, then ok maybe I'm close enough to the ideal weight where a plateau makes sense, but at 247, I'm still miles away from an ideal weight.

I'm encouraged by the comments recommending patience, but I wondering when that's going to run out. For Lent, I'm doing 40 days of no cheats. So far, it's day 26 and not a single pound lost. Before that I had 4 cheat days after 21 days of straight primal. 3 cheats before that and 14 days of straight primal.

So, in the last 68 days, 61 have been on very strict primal with plenty of exercise and I haven't lost a single pound. Also, it doesn't seem the cheat days are having that huge of an impact. When I get back on primal, I'm back to the 247-249 area within a few days. And then I don't budge from there.

A lot of people pointed out the possibility that I had reached my ideal weight. In my case also, I really doubt that's it. I'm 247 and 6'0. If I was at least 210 or 220, then ok maybe I'm close enough to the ideal weight where a plateau makes sense, but at 247, I'm still miles away from an ideal weight.

I'm encouraged by the comments recommending patience, but I wondering when that's going to run out. For Lent, I'm doing 40 days of no cheats. So far, it's day 26 and not a single pound lost. Before that I had 4 cheat days after 21 days of straight primal. 3 cheats before that and 14 days of straight primal.

So, in the last 68 days, 61 have been on very strict primal with plenty of exercise and I haven't lost a single pound. Also, it doesn't seem the cheat days are having that huge of an impact. When I get back on primal, I'm back to the 247-249 area within a few days. And then I don't budge from there.
    Ok so on the face of it looks like you should be able to slip off another 20lb without too much trouble, theoretically speaking.
    I do firmly believe the plateau does have specific value that we do not realise, I have seen too many frustrated posts from individuals to disregard it, all sorts of methods are tried and mostly to no avail, they seem to work a bit but then the body kicks back and packs it on again.

One thing to remember also as has been hinted at, your frustration at not losing any more weight may actually, through a convoluted signaling pathway, be sending stress messages which your body is interpreting as bad times and is holding the weight to ensure it has best chance of survival, so by all means play with a few adjustments, but try to let go of it emotionally if you can.
    Ever heard of people trying to have a baby, trying so hard, measuring, timing, doing everything right, too right, all to no avail, then they give up and resign themselves to being childless and within months there's a "bun in the oven", stress can work in very strange ways.

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, have you tried intermittant fasting(IF)?
    IF can often help because it forces the bodies fat burning machinery to fire up every day, so you burn of fat during the fast period, then restock during the feed period, this cycling process seems to help move fat around better. I think we were designed to be hungry regularly and a daily IF will not be enough to put you into starvation response and may help you to shift a little more weight.

...at 247, I'm still miles away from an ideal weight.
    I'm not saying you're wrong - but how do you know that? For sure?