Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal computing ;) page

tf
    tf is offline Member

Primal computing ;)

Shop Now
    Here's a speech I gave explaining how to use to Notepad (a text editor) for pretty much everything as a way to pitch for a new operating system. No offered to build the new OS, but many people who talked to me afterward were interested in using Notepad. Primal computing. Note that in giving this speech I was 10 pounds lighter than I would have been (as in was earlier this year) had I not gone primal. A primal diet works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXxXZuuqd2I

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Heh - clever! I even learned a couple of new things. From now on I'll use notepad.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

tf
    tf is offline Member
    Thanks. If you kept everything in Notepad, your computing life would be easier, less stressful, and more fun. Don't forget about the fixed-width fonts. They allow for lots of tricks, like a chart SMTWTFS and underneath it codes E (exercise). Or use the .LOG trick for keeping a journal. Most importantly, notepad runs fast and flawlessly. Of course, at work I'm stuck with the bloatware that is the computing equivalent of SAD.

gt74 is offline Member
    If only VI was so capable

Enjoyed that, pure genius.
    Last edited by gt74; 05-01-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Short, shameful confession: I use VI.

Actually I am more of an emacs user. Which is pretty awesome as well.

My journal

I see grain people...

tf
    tf is offline Member
    I would gladly use either emacs or VI except I cannot use Unix at work. Work is not primal. Yet I work. I feel *that* is a shameful confession.

gt74 is offline Member
    http://www.vim.org/ - download the windows version (and cygwin)

Actually, the more I think about it, the more ubuntu appeals to me as the primal os. Community spirit, lack of centralised development. Ideas come go.

I started life writing sonar systems for the RN (in Solaris) and hated the move into developing for a Windows environment.

I sometimes daydream about winning half a billion in a lottery. Then I'd stop working and play for the rest of my life. The likelihood of this happening is probably zilch. So, I work to live (and play).

My journal

I see grain people...

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    I sometimes daydream about winning half a billion in a lottery. Then I'd stop working and play for the rest of my life. The likelihood of this happening is probably zilch. So, I work to live (and play).
    My "Big Dream" includes a large(3-6 br, 2.5-4bath) house on 5-10 acres of land(some pasture, some wooded, some "orchard"), 2-5 horses, a cow or two, a pig or two, a whole bunch of chickens & bees, gardens full of veggies and a greenhouse for fresh salad year round. This is not just for me or even the children I may have... I want it to be a place people can stop a while. DH will keep writing like he does now, and I'll make soaps & bath salts to sell online and with our "extra" produce. Between the two of us we should have no problem bringing in enough money for land tax and other things money is needed for.(Keeping in mind that our solar panels & wind turbine might bring in enough surplus power for the electric company to be sending us a check instead of a bill each month.)

I have big dreams and it does seem a big lottery win is the only way there right now, but I'm trying anyway cause I have to at least try.
    ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

tf
    tf is offline Member
    You don't need 500mm or even a lottery win to do the part of that you want. Sell everything, move to Maine. Large house is a needlessly expensive pain in the ass. Go small. Grow your own stuff. Raise some chickens and pigs. Rely on free public health care (if it floats, you won't make any money and then will qualify). Work a few hours a day growing stuff and maybe some elancing. And then live a simplified life. I know people who have decided to just throw away the 9-5, 5-day workweek (which has grown due to hour inflation) and take it easy -- sail around the world, move to Argentina, or jump from place to place. You can do it. If that's your big life dream, why not do it? Life is short. You could die tomorrow. Pick an end date, get commitment from your partner, and start planning. Don't look back. Seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast