Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal computing ;) page 2

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tf View Post
    ...You can do it. If that's your big life dream, why not do it? Life is short. You could die tomorrow. Pick an end date, get commitment from your partner, and start planning. Don't look back. Seriously.
    *like*

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Yeah if you have a big house, you need to be able to pay someone to clean it (unless you actually like housekeeping and don't have anything better to do).

This is cool. My new computer is exclusively running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (gorgeous!) with only one Windows program running in WINE (a game). Using the simple tools is great, but what frustrates me is that I have to sometimes get emails from people with Office sending me DOCX.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I think the dream involved hosting guests, and not just overnight on the couch ("for a while"). Keeping size down can still be an important aspect, but it's not quite the same as just housing two people.

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    I think the dream involved hosting guests, and not just overnight on the couch ("for a while"). Keeping size down can still be an important aspect, but it's not quite the same as just housing two people.
    Exactly. There are too many people who need a safe place to get their head/$h!t together for a few months. Having the ability to help and the spare rooms to house them is a big part of the dream. Besides, bedrooms don't have to be 15' X 20' affairs; think dorm rooms with bed, nightstand & desk. A renovated 3br(splitting bedrooms in half) would probably work perfectly depending on the floor-plan. Depending on what's available and building regulations at the location, I may just build a straw-bale or cob home on an "empty" lot.

I am going for it... I'm learning skills that will be highly useful and doing my damndest to find ways I can start my soaping business now. I've already taught myself household budgeting, soaping(formulation & manufacturing), basic marketing and economics, carpentry, permiculture gardening, etc. Working on business accounting, composting(standard & vermiculture), aquaponics(a variation of hydroponics), animal care & husbandry, etc.)

But I do believe we've accidentally jacked this thread... perhaps a new thread or private messages would be more appropriate?
    ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

tf
    tf is offline Member
    Actually, its my thread and I contributed. I'll start a new one. This new direction is worthy of its own thread.

Re this one, for anyone reading the last post, I started with a video of a speech I gave advocating a return to simple computing tools like Notepad -- a simple text editor. Primal computing. Half of my day is spent on a computer and it is too complicated and cluttered. I am happier when I use the simplest tools available. See first post if you want to watch the speech -- it has some comedy.

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I also use notepad and paint whenever possible but I use Open Office for stuff that needs to be pretty (like resumes).

P.S. @tf for some reason my brain didn't register that it was your name above the post about Maine
    Last edited by Willow_NyteEyes; 05-02-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12