Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it chronic cardio? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Is it chronic cardio?

Shop Now
    Is it chronic cardio to do the elliptical 5 days a week with some yoga on the weekends? I don't feel burnt out at all and enjoy doing this cardio for energy in the mornings. I usually do level 12, resistance 4/5 for 45 minutes. I have not actually noticed any changes in my body, in fact I seem to lose weight when I don't do any cardio at all so that makes me think I am potentially stressing my body?

peril is offline Senior Member
    How high are you pushing your heart rate? If over 75% of your theoretical maximum based on age and gender then you may well be in chronic cardio territory
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    How high are you pushing your heart rate? If over 75% of your theoretical maximum based on age and gender then you may well be in chronic cardio territory
    Just saw on the elliptical it was 175. IM 26 so is that above the 75%?

Zach is offline Banned
    Definitely chronic cardio. Are you doing it to try and lose fat? Is it working?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Definitely chronic cardio. Are you doing it to try and lose fat? Is it working?
    Yes, just wanted to lose about 2 pounds. I was underweight for a while then got to a healthy weight, but I consider myself in the "skinny fat" category, thought doing cardio would help tone up a bit and lose just a few lbs. In fact, I see the scale going up, but I exercise every day and don't eat any grains at all.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    As much as I like my 'chronic' cardio, it's not doing a thing in respect to fat, or any weight loss for me.
    I'm sure the standard advice here will be to lift heavy instead.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    As much as I like my 'chronic' cardio, it's not doing a thing in respect to fat, or any weight loss for me.
    I'm sure the standard advice here will be to lift heavy instead.
    Yoga's good.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    To tone up, you need to build muscle but if you start building muscle you probably won't lose weight, although you will likely lose fat.

Yoga is very good, as are bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges, pushups, etc, to get started with. I don't think lifting heavy is necessary if all you're looking to do is tone up and get rid of 2 (measly) pounds of fat. Whether all that elliptical time is chronic cardio or not, it sounds mind-numbingly boring.

Zach is offline Banned
    Many of the top fat loss authorities claim that cardio can actually have the opposite of the desired effect. It will make you a cery efficient fat storer, lower your metabolism and make you hungrier. That first one is a scary thought.

My advice would be to drop any cardio that you dont find fun and spend more time doing yoga and a bit of strength training. Adding lean mass will do more for you skinny fat condition then losing two pounds.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you don't feel burned out at all, then no, it isn't. If you ever feel like you haven't recovered from the day before, or just aren't motivated to do a workout you might be overtraining.

However, it's not really going to help you lose much weight, especially if you're shooting for only 2 pounds. (Really, you're worried about *two* pounds? You probably gain and lose that much daily just from changes in food and water levels.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast