Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it chronic cardio? page 2

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    If you don't feel burned out at all, then no, it isn't. If you ever feel like you haven't recovered from the day before, or just aren't motivated to do a workout you might be overtraining.

However, it's not really going to help you lose much weight, especially if you're shooting for only 2 pounds. (Really, you're worried about *two* pounds? You probably gain and lose that much daily just from changes in food and water levels.)
    It's just hard for me to really understand this chronic cardio. You see people who pik up running an cardio and immediately drop weight. For me I never notice any positive results, but I feel good after so dont want to give it up.

2 pounds may not be exact, I want to just look a little bit more toned but the second I do weight I also bulk up so I'm trying to figure out the best method here.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Everyone here hates cardio. Me--I love cardio, but I hate the elliptical. Not hard enough. Couldn't get my heart rate to 75% max no matter what. (I mean, if you turn up the resistance a lot--i.e., to the point where you can hardly pedal, then it becomes resistance training, but if you set the resistance to a range where you can pedal, it's too easy.) I'm a runner, and since I'm currently training for a race, I'm definitely doing chronic cardio. Chronic cardio = weight loss for me though. I wouldn't obsess over whether something is chronic cardio. If you feel good doing it, then you're probably okay.

Edit: I will probably be stoned for this, but if the elliptical isn't helping you lose the 2 pounds, try running. You may not need to run 45 minutes 5 days a week either. Running is more intense so you don't have to do it as frequently. When I first started working out, I did the elliptical. (I was really unfit so the elliptical was all I could do.) Didn't lose any weight at all even though I was doing it 5-6 days a week. Once I started running a couple months later, the weight fell off. When I first started running, I would run 2x a week and do the elliptical 2x a week. That worked for me.
    Last edited by diene; 03-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.

I used to run a LOT and ended up losing some weight, however I got injured so put it on hold. When I started running again, in fact I had the same issue in which I started to gain weight and could feel it in my legs especially. I have not been running recently, but I could give it a shot again and see if that helps at all. What about weight training though? Any benefit to this Serenity?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    Just saw on the elliptical it was 175. IM 26 so is that above the 75%?
    Heart rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simplest formula for max rate is 220 - age = 194 for you. 75% of that is 145.5. You're well into chronic cardio territory. Means much of you exercise is anaerobic so needs to be fuelled by carbohydrate. If you reduce the intensity into aerobic territory you can go all day burning fat. Anaerobic activity should only be undertaken in short bursts, like HIIT or lifting heavy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

AdamW is offline Junior Member
    Replace a couple of your cardio sessions with weight training sessions. You will probably gain weight, but I'm guessing it's fat you want to lose anyway, not weight?

If you're enjoying the cardio and it's not making you feel bad, then it's not really a problem. As someone else said, SSCV (steady state cardiovascular) training is not the best fat burner anyway. Have a look at HIIT.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with others... if you want things to look toned then you need to tone the muscles by lifting weights.

SO are you saying I can do cardio still, but keep it really really low intensity? And then couple that with weights? I know I am going to set some people off here, but am not trying to get too bulky as a female, so that is probably why I avoid it.
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Heart rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simplest formula for max rate is 220 - age = 194 for you. 75% of that is 145.5. You're well into chronic cardio territory. Means much of you exercise is anaerobic so needs to be fuelled by carbohydrate. If you reduce the intensity into aerobic territory you can go all day burning fat. Anaerobic activity should only be undertaken in short bursts, like HIIT or lifting heavy

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Just saw on the elliptical it was 175. IM 26 so is that above the 75%?
    You're only doing 45 minutes. It takes some time to get in that range. You aren't in that zone long enough to stress that much even if the elliptical's monitor is accurate. It's not chronic cardio and it doesn't appear that you're even over reaching with your training efforts based on how you feel.

Maximum heart rate potential is 220 beats per minute. An estimate of an individuals maximum heart rate is 220-age or in your case maximum heart rate would be around 194 beats per minute. 75%of that old be around 145 beats per minute. That would be your average heart rate target. An individuals maximum hert rate is genetically determined. 220-age could be off by 10 beats per minute or more. A more accurate way to get potential max heart rate is to measure it and race a 5k running an all out hard effort finish. Add about 5 beats per minute to your high reading during that last mile split and you'll be close to your maximum heart rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I've tried running on a treadmill, and it's really just awful for me. It makes me feel clumsy and uncoordinated, not like real running at all. It also kills my knees and ankles, for some reason. And, embarrassingly enough, I totally busted my ass on a treadmill a while ago and I'm scared to get back on one (lol.) I do use the elliptical, but since you're saying it's so useless, what would be the best alternative to the treadmill AND elliptical? Stationary bike? Stair-stepper? Rowing machine? Sorry for hi-jacking the thread with my questions, VeggieLover.
    Dont worry! I need the explanation as well. I am having a hard time grasping what the best exercises are. I do yoga, push ups, planks etc but I don't really do any machines or squats etc. figured i took care of it on the elliptical with resistance. Probably wrong though. I'd love some real life feedback from thin, fit women that have gone through something similar.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    SO are you saying I can do cardio still, but keep it really really low intensity? And then couple that with weights? I know I am going to set some people off here, but am not trying to get too bulky as a female, so that is probably why I avoid it.
    First, compare for example 1 lb of fat vs 1 lb of muscle:
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr...ow5po1_500.jpg
    Notice the difference? Pound per pound, more muscle is better in most cases and can't hurt you.

Even look at what 5 lbs of muscle looks like:
    http://www.flaghouse.com/prod_images/P11558.jpg
    Take that and spread it all over your body and it won't even be noticeable.

Anyways, I think you get the point. Muscle weight is generally good. And women typically can't put on too much muscle anyways, in most cases no matter how hard they try.

With that being said, building a little bit of muscle shouldn't hurt you, so you don't have to be afraid of it. But if anything, your main goal with weight training should be to preserve muscle.

As a side benefit, and actually most importantly when working on weight loss, weight training also preserves the metabolism while in a calorie deficit. That's why it should always be the first exercise of choice when dieting.

Cardio on the other hand actually causes a decrease in your metabolism while in a calorie deficit. I wouldn't say that means you should avoid it like the plague, because it still does have its benefits such as improved immune system with low-moderate intensity exercise as well as an elevated mood. Also realize that the decrease in metabolism is actually from the further calorie deficit created by the cardio and not the actual type of exercise in of it'self. In other words, if you were eating enough calories and doing cardio, it shouldn't have a negative affect on your metabolism. Also, even with a reduction in calories and cardio, you still could protect it with weight training. And lastly, you're only really going to have problems with your metabolism if your in a severe calorie deficit anyways.

So I actually do agree with what some of the others said. I would replace a few of your cardio sessions with weight training sessions. My bet is that the yoga is actually pretty good. Also, if you're feeling fine, you're probably not doing too much. I'm also convinced that someone could easily do up to 7 hours of exercise per week, as long as some of it is low-moderate intensity; too much high intensity exercise is no good.

I hope that helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast