Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acupuncture page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Acupuncture

Shop Now
    Has anyone successfully used acupuncture to balance hormones? I am still lacking my period, only sort of got it on birth control, but want to see what my body can do naturally. I dont feel that I overexercise and this has been a problem for a long time now.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I have never used acupuncture, but my philosophy would be to use every healing system at my disposal before relegating myself to hormone therapy or the allopathic system.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure it's hormonal? There's a lot of different reasons that women don't get their periods. I had problems with this for a long time but it transpired that the reason was iron deficiency. I was vegetarian. I started eating meat again and my periods restarted. Prior to that I'd tried acupuncture to no avail. It can work in some cases, but not if you have a nutrient deficiency or are underweight.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, functional medicine may be worth a look. This is the type of stuff people like Robb Wolf suggest you look into if things are not clearing up sufficiently with paleo template alone.

I used to be iron deficient, but not anymore. It has been years since that, so I know that is not an issue. I have tried many other approaches through supplementation, and other types of biological medicine (a type of holistic approach combined with western medicine)

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Yep. I study Chinese medicine and the doctor I shadow right now, Dr. Chen at Kwan Yin, is booked solid because she is so successful in treating women's health.

Acupuncturist are just like any other health care provider, there are good and bad ones. You have to find a good one AND one that works for you.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Traditional Chinese Medicine helped me with balancing hormones. I was vegetarian for 7 years, had irregular periods, PCOS, unexplained infertility at 26. All tests that measured my hormones were normal, however. My obgyn prescribed hormones to conceive, which didn't work. After starting meat again, and 2 months of TCM, my periods became regular. The body's healing capacity is amazing.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It's an amazing modality, and yes, it can help with fertility, balancing hormones, etc.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I have not tried acupuncture for hormonal issues (though it has worked for my plantar fasciitis and runner's knee), but I have a friend who had trouble with her menstrual cycle when she got off birth control after years on the pill. At first she didn't get a period at all, and then it was irregular. She was trying to get pregnant and tried all kinds of conventional treatments for almost two years to no avail. She finally tried acupuncture and got pregnant after two months.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I have not tried acupuncture for hormonal issues (though it has worked for my plantar fasciitis and runner's knee), but I have a friend who had trouble with her menstrual cycle when she got off birth control after years on the pill. At first she didn't get a period at all, and then it was irregular. She was trying to get pregnant and tried all kinds of conventional treatments for almost two years to no avail. She finally tried acupuncture and got pregnant after two months.

Interesting, well the acupuncturist had an interesting theory too, that my spleen and stomach are deficient but also stuck, which in turn affects hormones. It all originates in the gut, which is probably why I have digestive problems, and then in turn messes with hormonal levels. I will see how it all works out by taking the chinese herbs coupled with the acupuncture itself, hopefully this is the missing link!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast