Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convincing slim, healthy children to go primal. page 2

Little Women is offline Member
    Shop Now
    A 12yo can probably still be told "this is what you are going to do," at least while parents are around. (I do not give my kids "you must do this" instructions if I'm not going to be there, because I can't really enforce that.)

The older ones are going to have to make up their own minds, which they will do over time if they see that it works well for you. Things like energy and health are probably going to be bigger factors for them than weight, itself.

But you can still say "this is what we are serving" or "this is what I am buying." If they want to do something else, they can provide that for themselves, and you aren't really going to be able to stop them.

In my experience, the harder I try to convince my kids, the more they fight things, but if I say "here is what I'm finding, make up your own mind" they are less defensive and therefore more likely to actually think about what I say.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    You can lead a horse to water....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Women View Post
    In my experience, the harder I try to convince my kids, the more they fight things, but if I say "here is what I'm finding, make up your own mind" they are less defensive and therefore more likely to actually think about what I say.
    My kids are still little, but I'd say this is exactly how I would have thought at your kids' ages.

Actually, as a youth, I wanted to rebel against everything my parents did. My folks were die-hard meat eaters, and I went vegetarian then vegan in my teens and twenties. So yeah. But that was me. The classic rebel without a clue.

Aside from leaving primal/paleo books lying around and hoping they pick 'em up and read 'em, I don't think there's a lot you, as a parent, can do to influence kids that age. You can talk to them. Have reasonable conversations. Live by example. But ultimately, their acceptance will have a lot to do with their personalities, their willingness to try new things, and their desire to change their diet.

Kids will be kids. Some are headstrong and rebellious. Some are open-minded and accept their parents' viewpoints. A lot of how you should handle this depends on your children's attitudes toward you in general.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
    Kids will be kids. Some are headstrong and rebellious. Some are open-minded and accept their parents' viewpoints. A lot of how you should handle this depends on your children's attitudes toward you in general.
    And some are/were/can be beaten into submission. Metaphorically speaking, of course. You don't like what's for dinner? Go to bed without dinner then. Or if they are older, you don't like what's for dinner? Go get a job.

Or, more positively, and I wish my own parents would have run our family like this: get them involved. My neighbor friends growing up each had to plan and cook one of the family dinners each night. They had to put the ingredients on the shopping list and cook the meal and it was homemade from scratch, not just stuff in a box.

My mom wouldn't let me use the stove. Only do dishes like a slave.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 03-11-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12