Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why "primal" and not 19th century? page 6

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    To a very meaningful extent, wheat and grains are what enabled our current civilization. While it is true they pose problems for some folks, the statement above is ludicrously hyperbolic.
    I agree that people can and have eaten grains for thousands of years, and that they provide a comparatively high amount of calories of for the land area they cover, thus sustaining larger populations. However, I think that the arguement can be made that individuals who eat wheat are not as healthy as those who do not.

I think that wheat is a factor in almost all of the 'diseases of civilization'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    An argument can also be made that the earth is flat.

Suggesting there may be a more optimal food to eat than wheat is an entirely different statement than the earlier, ridiculous "unfit for human consumption".

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    No, sorry, that's not true.

yes it is.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus0 View Post
    I've recently been having trouble posting on here asking for advice because, while I usually get some good advice, I also get four or five people arguing that what I'm doing is ridiculous and that they have a better opinion than mine because they read such and such study or they disagree with whomever and that I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing because I should be doing something else.

Basically making me feel bad for trying to find a way of eating that can help me to be binge free, binge eating being something I've struggled with for 7+ years. The reason I try so many things, following the way my body feels as a guide, is because obviously what I've been doing hasn't been working in the past. Sometimes the way I feel is more important to me than what the studies say or what this or that book says, or what some other person has found to work for them.

I've found another forum where people tend to be much for helpful and, if they have another opinion, it's given very tastefully. I still visit this forum because I do find interesting information and I like hearing what's working for other people.
    Sorry to hear that. Glad you still drop in

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The grain isn't even the same as it was in the 19th century. The gluten content is totally different, and you're generally eating it with chemical crap.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The switch from hunting and gathering to agricultural sources of food was commonly accompanied by a long period of malnutrition, as shown in skeletal remains that display all sorts of deficiency diseases and opportunistic infections. The transition was often from a variety of meat, fish, and vegetables to a monoculture that was grossly inadequate for optimal human health. In a case like that it sometimes took centuries for agriculture to become sufficiently sophisticated for populations to recover their health.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    The grain isn't even the same as it was in the 19th century. The gluten content is totally different, and you're generally eating it with chemical crap.
    This is the same argument for every food group that paleo excludes, but you can use that logic on any food group.

The stupidest thing about the gluten witch hunt is that its almost entirely hype. Yes more people are becoming "sensitive" or "intolerant" but reality is that almost all can eat it perfectly fine and have since childhood. The power of suggestion and marketing hype is powerful. And for those who actually have a real condition, maybe it was caused by gluten or maybe it was something else, unsaturated fat for example. Most will never know, they just go with the trendy thing and eliminate gluten while still consuming the unsaturated fat.

Anyway eat bread, dont eat bread, i dont care. Just know that healthy, long lived people have been eating it for ten thousand years and people will continue to do so and be healthy despite what a few gurus and internet knowitalls will have you believe.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The switch from hunting and gathering to agricultural sources of food was commonly accompanied by a long period of malnutrition, as shown in skeletal remains that display all sorts of deficiency diseases and opportunistic infections. The transition was often from a variety of meat, fish, and vegetables to a monoculture that was grossly inadequate for optimal human health. In a case like that it sometimes took centuries for agriculture to become sufficiently sophisticated for populations to recover their health.
    Luckily we are able to stroll down to our local coop and buy some eggs and meat to go with our grains. Others more unfortunate who dont have access to the internet and dont know that their staple foods are actually toxic will just have to deal. Maybe one of you should start a crusade and travel to the less fortunate countries and let them know the dangers of gluten, grain and legumes.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    An argument can also be made that the earth is flat.

Suggesting there may be a more optimal food to eat than wheat is an entirely different statement than the earlier, ridiculous "unfit for human consumption".
    How about this: How Agriculture Ruined Your Health (and What to Do About It) | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

Or this: Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

I personally refuse to eat wheat and don't buy it (despite the children pleading in the supermarket for it... "please, just one loaf of bread, just one..."). But I don't prevent my kids from eating biscuits or other wheat based snacks when we are eating in a public place either.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Your great grandparents also worked in the fields on their farms all day, if you do that, eat all the wheat you want. I loved reading the Little House books.
    No, sorry, that isn't true. Working hard all day lets you do more carbs. Wheat still tears you up inside, although they had wheat with lower gluten. And not everyone worked hard in the fields. Down through history, the mark of upper classes has been that they did zero physical work. Granted, they were the 1%, but other people worked as bookkeepers and other desk jobs, or were teachers. Hardly anyone got fat or had heart attacks or cancer. And many lived long lives. My ancestors back to the 16th century lived into their 70s unless they died in child birth, wars or similar.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast