Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why "primal" and not 19th century? page 5

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ^ Wheat has far more problems with it that can't be "worked off" though.

Traderjodie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Because, as the Primal Blueprint explains, hunter-gatherers (if they didn't die of accidents) had a longer life span and were healthier than your grandparents. Your grandparents were part of an agricultural lifestyle (certainly much healthier than ours). When humans became agriculturalists their brains and bodies shrank. This can clearly be seen in the Massai of the 20th century who were not agriculturalists, were tall, lean, healthier and stronger than we are, and lived longer.

Thanks. Thats an excellent answer. So I guess the question that I have to answer is, "how healthy do I want to be?" Living like my grandparents would be far healthier then living like my peers. They had far lower rates of obesity and diabetes. But to optimize my health, I could go farther and adopt a more primal way of living. Either choice is a step up.

-Jodie

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^ Wheat has far more problems with it that can't be "worked off" though.
    Wheat can be part of a healthy balanced diet - For Birds

There is too much evidence out there of how much damage it does, whether seen or unseen that make it unsuitable for Human consumption.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traderjodie View Post
    Thanks. Thats an excellent answer. So I guess the question that I have to answer is, "how healthy do I want to be?" Living like my grandparents would be far healthier then living like my peers. They had far lower rates of obesity and diabetes. But to optimize my health, I could go farther and adopt a more primal way of living. Either choice is a step up.

-Jodie
    Exactly right.

And within Primal there are further steps, you can do Primal/Paleo just by shopping at the fringes of the supermarket, i.e. no processed foods, you won't be getting the best quality meat, fruit and veg etc., but your diet will still be 100% better simply by not ingesting the processed crap, then this goes through all the grass fed organic biodynamic foods etc all the way to getting onto your own piece of land in the wilderness, eating with the seasons, growing some vegi's, picking wild berries and raising your own grass fed livestock, the final step of going full HG is very difficult to achieve in the world we are living in though.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    + it was not all sunshine in the 19th century: William Banting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This shows people had weight problems already then and the solution somewhat resembles Primal.

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I think this is it actually ^
    I've recently been having trouble posting on here asking for advice because, while I usually get some good advice, I also get four or five people arguing that what I'm doing is ridiculous and that they have a better opinion than mine because they read such and such study or they disagree with whomever and that I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing because I should be doing something else.

Basically making me feel bad for trying to find a way of eating that can help me to be binge free, binge eating being something I've struggled with for 7+ years. The reason I try so many things, following the way my body feels as a guide, is because obviously what I've been doing hasn't been working in the past. Sometimes the way I feel is more important to me than what the studies say or what this or that book says, or what some other person has found to work for them.

I've found another forum where people tend to be much for helpful and, if they have another opinion, it's given very tastefully. I still visit this forum because I do find interesting information and I like hearing what's working for other people.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus0 View Post
    I've recently been having trouble posting on here asking for advice because, while I usually get some good advice, I also get four or five people arguing that what I'm doing is ridiculous and that they have a better opinion than mine because they read such and such study or they disagree with whomever and that I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing because I should be doing something else.

Basically making me feel bad for trying to find a way of eating that can help me to be binge free, binge eating being something I've struggled with for 7+ years. The reason I try so many things, following the way my body feels as a guide, is because obviously what I've been doing hasn't been working in the past. Sometimes the way I feel is more important to me than what the studies say or what this or that book says, or what some other person has found to work for them.

I've found another forum where people tend to be much for helpful and, if they have another opinion, it's given very tastefully. I still visit this forum because I do find interesting information and I like hearing what's working for other people.
    You know you can put people like that on permanent ignore, right?

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Because, as the Primal Blueprint explains, hunter-gatherers (if they didn't die of accidents) had a longer life span and were healthier than your grandparents.
    No, sorry, that's not true.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    There is too much evidence out there of how much damage it does, whether seen or unseen that make it unsuitable for Human consumption.
    To a very meaningful extent, wheat and grains are what enabled our current civilization. While it is true they pose problems for some folks, the statement above is ludicrously hyperbolic.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    To a very meaningful extent, wheat and grains are what enabled our current civilization. While it is true they pose problems for some folks, the statement above is ludicrously hyperbolic.
    Seriously.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast