Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADHD and the Paleo Diet page 2

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post

Just don't get freaked out if you feel like you're dragging a 75-pound weight behind you for the first week or two. That's normal, and when your body sucks it up and admits you're right, then your energy should level out and you'll feel much better.
    and we can all be your wingmen and encourage you during this time. You can do it - and if you have to PM any of us for encouragement - just do it !!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

thewildirishgirl is offline Junior Member
    I totally understand the desire not to cook. I work full-time, have two toddlers, and my husband works very late hours. I CANNOT, physically CANNOT cook when I get home, not with two little ones to look after. I need dinner on the table within 20 minutes or it's WWIII around here. One thing I do is spend every Sunday afternoon cooking all my meals for the week. I cook one roast or ham in the crockpot, make one big old paleo soup on the stove, cook paleo egg muffins for breakfast, chop up vegetables for roasting, and fry up some paleo chicken tenders or fish sticks to freeze for later if I'm really inspired. This way I can eat soup all week for lunch, and then come home and heat up meat for dinner. I generally serve roasted veggies with meat. This is a great simple recipe to get you started, but the same concept works with several veggies--brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, etc. Oven Roasted Broccoli | Easy Broccoli Recipe - Elana's Pantry I only really like to eat salads in the summer. Meat and roasted veggies is my staple for the colder months!

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    Ps I used to hate cooking with a passion. Now I actually enjoy cooking.
    I do too. For me, I thinking having to do it out of necessity is what sparked the interest. I mean, if you've gotta do it, you mind as well enjoy it! It's kinda fun digging through the fridge and the pantry and coming up with random stuff to toss together. It took me a few months, but a year later, I'd rather cook fresh than anything else. With rare exception of course. Luckily there are a few restaurants near me that are paleo/gluten free acceptable in a pinch.

Little Women is offline Member
    I think you will find that if you go very strictly primal/paleo for 4-6 weeks, you will find a great deal of improvement in your symptoms. Many people find that artificial ingredients (which are abundant in the foods you are eating) are HUGE factors in their ADHD symptoms. (Given my daughter's triggers, I would also suggest avoiding almonds and strawberries, if you can stand it.) Many coconut milks are OK, though, so try focusing on those.

A lot of paleo/primal people still drink coffee, just not with sugar in it, so you might want to keep that, at least at first.

I think you will have to either convince your other half to cook the way you need or make a point to learn it yourself. It IS a lot of work, but it's not rocket science. If you can make stuff ahead of time (like roast 1-2 chickens, and use them over several days), it won't be a constant, daily burden.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Women View Post
    I think you will find that if you go very strictly primal/paleo for 4-6 weeks, you will find a great deal of improvement in your symptoms. Many people find that artificial ingredients (which are abundant in the foods you are eating) are HUGE factors in their ADHD symptoms.
    Yes. That reminds me of how food coloring was a big problem when it came to my kid's ADHD, and my heartburn as well.

I was seriously scraping him off the ceiling when he ate something with bright artificial coloring.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12